PDA

View Full Version : Saw Luxo Jr. performing at Pixar Place

cgriff
07-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Saw Luxo Jr. hopping out of this little window and onto his ledge (opposite) overlooking the Toy Story Midway Mania queue. What a cutey. His light flashes different colors as he plays a tune over a surround sound system that fills that end of Pixar Place. Looks and sounds really good. Not sure if Jr. is performing officially yet; a couple of plain clothes castmembers watched and afterwards entered the Luxo Lighting Co. door. Maybe they are still tweaking?

JPL
07-06-2009, 01:05 PM
He's been performing for a couple of weeks but there was word he was having some difficulty as of late so that's probably why the Imagineers were watching the show. It is also being discussed in News and Rumours with a link to some video of both shows.

Here (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=155816)

Mendelson
07-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Seems like a nice addition to that part of the park, and I hate to sound like a downer, but am I the only one a little uh...underwhelmed :unsure: by what I've seen on the videos?

cgriff
07-07-2009, 02:33 AM
Seems like a nice addition to that part of the park, and I hate to sound like a downer, but am I the only one a little uh...underwhelmed :unsure: by what I've seen on the videos?

I think that this is an example of the sort of storytelling on a smaller scale that Disney is so good at. In my way of thinking not everything has to be an e-Ticket. (Not that you were necessarily intimating otherwise, Mendelson...)

Also, they have installed a great outdoor surround audio system in the area for the music and sound effects that go along with Luxo and sort of help to bring him to "life". That stuff usually doesn't come out all that well on a consumer video recording, especially something later muxed to a youtube/mp4 file.

I think Luxo is neat.

Mendelson
07-07-2009, 08:57 AM
You're probably right...I should reserve judgment until I'm there in person.

BMan62
07-07-2009, 11:04 AM

Nope. My DW is underwhelmed as well. She expected him to single out members of the audience and do something with, or to, them.

JabberJaws
07-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Well I haven't seen him personally so can't comment on it specifically, but I like things like this. I know this is part of WDI's "Living Character Initiative" where they want to use AA and other outlets to bring their characters to life.

I don't think that Luxo Jr is meant to be a big, interactive draw like Mr. Potato Head in TSM or Lucky the Dino. Think more along the lines of a much more elaborate and complicated version of the parrot who used to sit atop the entrance to POTC. Just something to draw in crowds a bit, add to the theme of the area, and just be a neat little detail.

I love how Disney pays attention to little things, in addition to the big stuff, like this. Part of what makes the Disney parks so magical IMO.