PDA

View Full Version : Unhappy hair =(

Piglet822
07-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Ok, so summer is here and a lot of time is spent in the backyard pool. My hair is not happy! My ends feel very dry even though I condition everyday.
Is there something I can use, maybe once a week, twice a week, whatever, that I can treat my hair with?

mickeys_princess_mom
07-03-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm sure someone else may have a product to recommend. I was advised lately that I should cover my hair to protect it from the sun when I'm in the pool. I never really thought about that being the reason mine was getting a little dry, too.

Dsnygirl
07-04-2009, 04:13 AM
I have a product you can try -- I use it, and love it! It's by Redken, and it's called Smooth Down Butter Treat. It's in a large tube, it's rusty gold in color, and I get it at either Target, Wal-Mart at their salon or at the mall at Trade Secret. I use it twice a week for 5 minutes in the shower, and my hair LOVES it!! Good luck! :thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
07-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Try switching your regular shampoo and conditioner to something that moisturizes.
Also, do they still make V05 hot oil treatment.
It use to come in little tubes that you stuck in hot water then put in your hair?
A trim might help especially if your hair is really dry on the ends.

Piglet822
07-04-2009, 10:58 AM
I was thinking the VO5 Hot Oil Treatment also.
My hair wasn't this bad last year, I really hate to trim it because I just had it trimmed a few weeks ago and I figured I'd have to have it trimmed after the summer, too.
I just didn't expect it to get this dry so early in the year. I might try the Redken product mentioned also.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-04-2009, 11:26 AM
You can also use just plain olive oil on your hair. Heat it up (not too hot) and spread on hair, I think it's supposed to be dry hair. Heat a towel in the microwave and wrap it around your head and leave in for 20-30 minutes. Then wash and condition as usual.
You can also buy a leave in conditioner.

And I just bought some stuff from OCEAN POTION called SHINE & SHIELD COLOR SAFE UV HAIR MIST. It has heat activated hair conditioners in it. It makes the hair a little greasy but if you are just hanging out at the pool, that's not a big deal. Just wash before going anywhere. I bought it at Hampton Beach so I don't know if you can find it in a regular drug/dept store.

Piglet822
07-05-2009, 12:57 PM
I found a leave in conditioner (forgot who makes it, one of the better brands) that I can use once a week. I'll see if that works.
Otherwise I think sadly it will be the trim as someone suggested.
Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

conorsmom2000
07-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Jeanne, I know my cousin always uses a shampoo in the summer that's called "Swim" or something like that (I'll double check with her) that's meant to help combat what chlorine has done to your hair. I have naturally dry, coarse hair, so summer makes it a lot worse - I recently started using a product from the Frizz-Ease line called "Night Repair"...I love this stuff! You can use it all over, but I only use it on my ends. You put it on before you go to bed. Your hair will feel a little damp for a few minutes but then it just feels really soft. You sleep with it in and it does not leave any residue on your pillow or sheets. The next morning when you wash your hair, your hair feels amazing! (You don't have to wash it out the next day which is fine too. If I don't wash it out, my hair is very soft - night and day from how it usually is). If you google the product, you can read all the reviews on it. The only bummer is that it's a small bottle and it's not cheap (though, you can often find it on sale.) I also use a leave in conditioner spray by Frizz Ease that I like too. The main thing to remember with summer and swimming is to only wash your hair when you have to (after coming out of the pool, etc.) but the more you wash, the more it will dry out.

Good luck!!