PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading...summer edition

threeh
07-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Ok, I've got a bunch of new books. Just finishing finger licking 15. Next up Julia Child's my life in paris, also a new Sophie Kinzilla and Madeline wickham. What's on your summer reading list???

Missy_Mouses_Dad
07-03-2009, 02:43 PM
I am an avid fan of the Band of Brothers HBO series and have read a number of books on the subject. DD and DW found a couple of more books written by soldiers in E-Company for me to read on the plane...

eam
07-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Relentless, by Dean Koontz. Just checked it out of the library and can hardly wait to start. (Garage sale going on this week-end, yuk.)

RedSoxFan
07-03-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm not a big reader; but I just finished the Twilight series in 2 weeks. I enjoyed them very much. Next on my list (it's on the coffee table) is the new Stephanie Plum book.

joanna71985
07-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Right now I've just been re-reading books (including the Twilight series, and the Harry Potter books, especially #6 in preperation for the movie coming out in 12 days). I also have been reading mysteries by my favorite author- Mary Higgins Clark.

kaerbear178
07-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Right now I am reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, which is pretty good. Not sure what I'll pick next!

RobWreck
07-03-2009, 03:11 PM
"Understanding Criminal Procedure: Investigation" by Joshua Dressler - the be-all, end-all author and commentator on all aspects of criminal law.
Such is the light summer reading of a pt law student... ;)
Rob

FaithTrustPixieDust
07-03-2009, 03:14 PM
My summer reading list is all those books I was supposed to read in high school and college, but didn't actually read! :blush:

Just finished The Hobbit, and now I'm reading Jane Eyre.

MNNHFLTX
07-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm reading Odd Thomas, by Dean Koontz. I haven't read a Dean Koontz book in so long, but this really is a good one!

I'm also doing my usual summer travel reading for upcoming trips to the Ozarks, Phoenix and England.

Simba's Mom
07-03-2009, 04:25 PM
My summer reads are light romance things. I love Robyn Carr and Sherryl Woods. I just finished "Harbor Lights" by Woods and I've got "Deep in the Valley" by Carr to read. I'm also a fan of what are called "cozy mysteries", amature sleuth stuff. I've got several Mary Daheim books on my shelf and am currently reading "Murder of a Sleeping Beauty" by Denise Swanson.

kakn7294
07-03-2009, 05:10 PM
I'll be getting the new Stephanie Plum too. I'm also waiting for Nora Robert's new one next week.

SBETigg
07-03-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm reading Koontz's Odd Hours (later book in the Odd Thomas series-- loved Odd Thomas). Will start Relentless later.

And I have two Elizabeth Hoyt books I won from the publisher (@foreverromance) on Twitter, so those are next up, if I ever get to it. Writing more, reading less this summer.

IamBelle
07-03-2009, 05:37 PM
For school, I have to read 4 books, and I am currently reading the second one called Blindness by Jose Saramago.
Also, for fun, I am reading Breaking Dawn, the fourth Twilight book.

magicofdisney
07-03-2009, 06:44 PM
My husband just got the Kindle DX. The other day he caught me reading on it and said, "I'm sure glad you bought that for ME." :blush:

There are quite a few free books you can download for the Kindle and I just finished a classic by R.M. Ballantyne called Choral Island. It was a book my oldest son read for school last year. Ballantyne wrote a lot of adventure books geared towards young boys.

There are a slew of free books with many classics such as 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Oliver Twist, The Jungle Book, The Three Musketeers and Little Women to name a few. The list is almost endless. We have 148 books on the Kindle right now and have only paid for a handful of them. It's pretty remarkable.

brownie
07-03-2009, 10:10 PM
I am an avid fan of the Band of Brothers HBO series and have read a number of books on the subject. DD and DW found a couple of more books written by soldiers in E-Company for me to read on the plane...

I like Band of Brothers, too. They just had a marathon on the History channel on Father's Day, and I was able to watch most of the episodes. Someday I'll get around to reading the book.

So far this summer I'm working on Eisenhower on Leadership, The Power of Four, The Power of Less, and a couple others. I'm waiting on some books from the library, including Paul Teutel's book (Orange County Choppers.)

Phantod
07-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Just getting ready to read "The Road". My son loaned it to me and says it's great.

And clearly Relentless by Dean Koontz will be on the list. I got hooked on him when I read Phantoms back in '83, although I still think Watchers is my favorite.

I've read Twilight (my DD made me do it), and so I'll probably have to finish the series. I liked the beginning and end of Twilight...but the middle seemed to drag. My DW says the other books are much better.

Hoping for another Elizabeth Peters book. Anxiously waiting.

And maybe I can dream about another Terry Brooks trilogy.

Dixie Springs
07-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Duma Key, by Stephen King. The geography lured me (FL).

TigChatt
07-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Duma Key, by Stephen King. The geography lured me (FL).

That was was a good one by him. I wish he would go back to horror though.

TigChatt
07-04-2009, 03:57 PM
My husband just got the Kindle DX. The other day he caught me reading on it and said, "I'm sure glad you bought that for ME." :blush:

There are quite a few free books you can download for the Kindle and I just finished a classic by R.M. Ballantyne called Choral Island. It was a book my oldest son read for school last year. Ballantyne wrote a lot of adventure books geared towards young boys.

There are a slew of free books with many classics such as 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Oliver Twist, The Jungle Book, The Three Musketeers and Little Women to name a few. The list is almost endless. We have 148 books on the Kindle right now and have only paid for a handful of them. It's pretty remarkable.

My hubby bought me the Kindle 2 and I love, love, love it. Currently reading Gone with the Wind on it.

StitchFan#1
07-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Well Im not an adult so i read teenagerish books like tilight and stuff but my list includes KK3!!! Cnt wait all disney kids will love this book. and twilight3 times mabey

Lakin
07-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Reading? Nothing. It's summer!

AdventurerKim
07-05-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm currently reading "The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman, this year's Newberry Award Winner for pleasure. I've read "Night of the Howling Dogs" which takes place in Hawaii (I read it on the plane to Hawaii), and I read "Diamonds in The Shadow" by Caroline Cooney; both books are for school/work this coming year as they are on the Louisiana Young Readers Choice Award list. Before these, I read books #2 & 3 in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series (love them!).

BriarRose0708
07-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Right now I am reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, which is pretty good.
This is my current read too. I'm about halfway through it.

Already I have read:
Testimony by Anita Shreve
A Hope in the Unseen by Rob Suskind
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Grahame Smith
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Still on the shelf:
Blindness by Jose Saramago
The Time Traveller's Wife by Aufrey Niffenegger
Netherland by Joseph O'Neill
The Blackest Bird by Joel Rose
The Call of Earth by Orson Scott Card
Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card

threeh
07-06-2009, 10:06 AM
My summer reading list is all those books I was supposed to read in high school and college, but didn't actually read! :blush:

Just finished The Hobbit, and now I'm reading Jane Eyre.

Have you read pride and predjudice yet?? It is wonderful!!!:thumbsup:

threeh
07-06-2009, 10:09 AM
This is my current read too. I'm about halfway through it.

Already I have read:
Testimony by Anita Shreve
A Hope in the Unseen by Rob Suskind
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Grahame Smith
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Still on the shelf:
Blindness by Jose Saramago
The Time Traveller's Wife by Aufrey Niffenegger
Netherland by Joseph O'Neill
The Blackest Bird by Joel Rose
The Call of Earth by Orson Scott Card
Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card

I read hunger games and it was very very good. I read it she will publish 2 more books about the duo in it. Time Traveler's wife is being released in August as a movie so read quick, it is a favorite. Will you let me know about Jane Austen and the zombies book?? I picked it up the other day but just wasn't sure..

threeh
07-06-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm currently reading "The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman,

Have you read American Gods by Neil Gaimon?? I have that and Anansi boys on audio book, just wonderful books!!!

threeh
07-06-2009, 10:13 AM
"Understanding Criminal Procedure: Investigation" by Joshua Dressler - the be-all, end-all author and commentator on all aspects of criminal law.
Such is the light summer reading of a pt law student... ;)
Rob

I read that..want we to tell you the ending?? ha ha!!
For all you twilight fans when you finish twilight check out the sookie stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris (true blood on HBO is based loosley on them) they are more grown up:blush:but very very good if vampires and supes are your cup of tea (they are mine).

Happy Reading!!
Finished Stephanie Plum 15, same ol same ol..boring!!!

Dragongirlx
07-06-2009, 10:17 AM
I am re reading all the Harry Potter books before the next film comes out on the 15th July (in the UK).

BriarRose0708
07-06-2009, 11:18 AM
I read hunger games and it was very very good. I read it she will publish 2 more books about the duo in it. Time Traveler's wife is being released in August as a movie so read quick, it is a favorite. Will you let me know about Jane Austen and the zombies book?? I picked it up the other day but just wasn't sure..

I'm really excited about next Hunger Games book in September!!!! PP&Z was hilarious! If you are familiar with the original, it's very similar but with zombie attacks and Elizabeth performing martial arts. I loved it.

threeh
07-06-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm really excited about next Hunger Games book in September!!!! PP&Z was hilarious! If you are familiar with the original, it's very similar but with zombie attacks and Elizabeth performing martial arts. I loved it.

September?? Cool. I'm heading to amazon now. Ok, I'll try pp&z, thanks!!!

Aggie97
07-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Right now I'm reading Little Dorrit. I decided to give it a try after watching the TV adaptation, and I can't believe how much I like it.

Next up:

#15 in Stephanie Plum series
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
#11 in No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series

:)