PDA

View Full Version : Just Home From The Hospital

hubbyofadisneyholic
07-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Went to my doctor Monday complaining of shortness of breath that had been getting progressivle worse over the last few weeks (including our recent trip to WDW).
Before I new what hit me I was being wheeled to the ER of the adjacent hospital.
Turns out I had severe blockages of 2 arteries to the heart. One was 99% blocked the other about 90%

Yesterday they did an angiogram and angioplasty to clear the blockages. Today I was able to come home.
A little sore, but I was able to walk about 1/4 mile from my room to where our car was parked without being out of breath.

The cardiologists said if I had ignored the symptoms for another week or two there would have been a major heart attack in my future. And maybe not much else.

I'm not going to go all preachy on everyone, but for heaven's sake do yourself (and your loved ones) a favor...if you start getting pains or finding yourself unable to do simple things without feeling out of breath GET TO THE DOCTOR!!

Phil

crazypoohbear
07-02-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm glad that you are going to be okay.
Thank you for the warning, too many people don't have time for the doctor:(

kakn7294
07-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Glad you got a warning and a chance to fix your problems before anything worse happened. So many times I see the results of people who waited.

Donald
07-02-2009, 08:35 PM
You are a lucky man, Phil. I am so glad that you did not ignore those warning signs like so many unfortunate people have; people have a tendancy as brushing them off as "oh, it is probably nothing...".

Stay well, Phil! There are a lot of Disneyworld vacations left for you!!!:mickey:

Daisy'sMom
07-02-2009, 08:38 PM
I am so glad you are on the mend. And glad that you did not ignore your symptoms. Feel better. :thumbsup:

faline
07-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Glad you got the care you needed! Thanks for thinking of the rest of us!

Lakin
07-02-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm very happy to hear that you are OK. :) It must feel great to be better!

Melanie
07-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Wow! So glad you caught it in time. Take good care of yourself. :)

azdisneymom
07-03-2009, 12:15 AM
I am so glad you are OK now. Thank you for reminding all of us to pay attention and not ignore our symptoms.

What should one do if one starts experiencing cardiac symptoms when alone? The following is something a good friend sent me, she had a heart attack at the age of 51 while driving in her car. Hopefully you will never need this info.

CALL 911. THEN START COUGHING REPEATEDLY AND VERY VIGOROUSLY.

A DEEP BREATH SHOULD BE TAKEN BEFORE EACH COUGH, THE COUGH MUST BE DEEP AND PROLONGED, AS WHEN PRODUCING SPUTUM FROM DEEP INSIDE THE CHEST.

A BREATH AND A COUGH MUST BE REPEATED ABOUT EVERY TWO SECONDS WITHOUT LET-UP UNTIL HELP ARRIVES, OR UNTIL THE HEART IS FELT TO BE BEATING NORMALLY AGAIN

ARTICLE PUBLISHED ON N.º 240 OF JOURNAL OF GENERAL HOSPITAL ROCHESTER

Kathy Jetson
07-03-2009, 04:08 AM
Thanks for the info I've never heard of coughing when having a heart attack.

Jeff
07-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Glad you are ok!:thumbsup:

hubbyofadisneyholic
07-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the kind thoughts.
It has been a heck of a week. Last Sunday I couldn't walk more than about 30 feet without being short of breath. Wednesday they did the angioplasty. This morning my wife was running me all over Wal-Mart for over an hour with no problems.
This afternoon my cardiologist said I can go back to work on Monday.

Modern medical technology is just incredible.:thumbsup:

But we can't cure the common cold...:ill:

Lakin
07-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Can't cure the common cold - different germs cause different colds and there are over 400 different germs that cause colds. Man, I feel like such a nerd.

But, you are so right, modern technology is amazing!

I'm happy to hear that you're still doing great and progressing back to work. :)

brownie
07-03-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm glad you were able to catch it before it became much worse. Good advice on seeking help from your doctor.

vizsla
07-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Glad to hear that you are OK

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Phil, I'm so glad you got the care you needed and are feeling so much better. Time to start planning another trip to WDW as a treat for yourself.

SBETigg
07-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Wow, great news that you went in and caught this. How scary for you, but what a relief that you got help in time. Stay well.

hubbyofadisneyholic
07-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Phil, I'm so glad you got the care you needed and are feeling so much better. Time to start planning another trip to WDW as a treat for yourself.

Actually...I got on the phone yesterday and made ressies for a trip in early January. 2 nites @ OKW and 4 @ Kidani Village. :blush:

After the trauma this put my wife and daughter thru they deserve it...;)

hubbyofadisneyholic
07-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Just a quick update...had a follow-up visit to the cardiologist.
Everything is looking good, he was pleased with the progress I'm making with my walking and most importantly...

I can ride any of the coasters I want when we go back to WDW in January!!!:woohoo::joy::yay:

divinedi
07-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Woohoo Phil, what better news than clearance for anything disney:party:!! Stay healthy and enjoy your trip!

Mousefever
07-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Glad you avoided worst-case scenario on this one! My dad had approximately the same thing happen a couple years back. Scary! I'm happy that you're OK.

Amy

TheVBs
07-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Great news Phil! :mickey:

Modern medicine certainly is amazing. You were in the hospital a week ago and now you're planning your next WDW trip. :thumbsup: So glad you didn't ignore the signs. So many people do. Glad you're on the mend!:thumbsup: