PDA

View Full Version : Disney with a Knee Injury?

jonahbear2006
07-02-2009, 02:31 AM
Anyone ever been to Disney World with an ACL injury or any other knee injury for that matter? I am finding out that I have a knee injury and as I sit here, it aches. We leave in 58 days and I am very concerned now about how I am going to be able to hold up in the parks for two weeks. If anyone has experience with how well they went through this, I would greatly appreciate some first hand information.

Itchy
07-02-2009, 08:13 AM
I hope this will help, I have a bad knee but have not been to the world with extreme problems.

If it is just starting I would first call your Dr and let him / her know what is going on.

If the injury is not to bad they may just give you a cortisone shot to help with the pain and inflammation and prescribe anti inflammatory meds. They may give you a knee brace that would help.

While at the world you would need to watch for swelling. Maybe take the sights in small bites.

Then there are always the ECV's.

Good luck:mickey:

Jeff
07-02-2009, 08:25 AM
I have been 2 months after an ACL tear. I was still in a Donjoy brace. It certainly slowed us down and required more rest stops. We also rode more tea sportstion options rather than walked. It is doable just slow down

momef3grls
07-02-2009, 10:20 AM
2 weeks after my daughter had ACL reconstruction. As a previous poster stated, it slowed us down a little and took more breaks but it was fine. We went at her pace and sometimes her and I would sit down and DH and my other DD went on rides she didn't feel comfortable on.

Pixie Dust '59
07-02-2009, 10:33 PM
My Mother went to WDW 10 months after total knee replacement. We did use a wheel chair for her just as a precaution. The only ride she had trouble with was the boats at Small World. They seem to be lower after the remodeling. Hope you have a great time.

:flag:

Wannagoback
07-03-2009, 03:59 AM
My wife tore her ACL about 2 months before we went in Dec of 2007. We rented a wheelchair for her each day we were at the parks. She had a knee brace on and when she was tired of sitting in the wheelchair she would walk behind the wheelchair and use it like a walker. Plus, when you have a legitimate medical issue like a knee injury you are able to use the handicap entrance on the rides that have them. The only time we would use the handicap entrance would be near the end of the day when her knee was starting to really bug her. Most of the time she was able to stand in line because she had that knee brace on.

Piglet822
07-03-2009, 08:52 PM
I don't know how much pain you're in but my knee hurts all the time! I need a knee replacement but am not ready to have it done.
When we go to the parks I always rent an ECV. We live local so we rent by the day but if you're going to be here for two weeks and are concerned, it might be worth to look into one of the local agencies that supply them and rent one and have it available at all times. The ones at the park are first come, first served.

aurora, ariel, and bell
07-03-2009, 09:31 PM
I am also concerned about knee pain i'm suffering from arthritis. There was a posting earlier where you can rent the EVC's locally, but I don't know how to find it. could someone please tell me the name of it or the web address if that is allowed.

thank you

faline
07-03-2009, 09:41 PM
I went to Disney with a torn meniscus (didn't know it was torn) - just knew that going up and down stairs was painful. At that time, walking on flat surfaces was doable so was able to complete the trip without too much trouble.

Also went to Disney about 4 months after knee surgery. We took it easy as I would get tired by about mid-afternoon. With breaks back in the room, I also did well.

If needed, I would certainly consider renting an ECV.

mainemajor
07-11-2009, 09:54 PM
I went a couple of years ago while recovering from a broken ankle. My word of advise to you would be to be careful at AK. So much of the walkways there is cobblestone and very uneven. After spending 1/2 day there I needed to ice down my ankle and use a wheelchair for several hours because I could not walk and was in great pain.

RockinRollerMom
07-12-2009, 11:33 AM
I went to Disney with DMiL after knee sugery and she rented an ECV at the parks on days that she knew we were going to be walking a lot. (MVMCP, EPCoT etc.)

Last year although not a knee issue DD came down with a horrible cold and her asthma really started acting up. (which turned into pneumonia) We were able to borrow a wheelchair from our resort (CSR) at no charge. We just had to leave a credit card number as a deposit. I know they are first come first serve at the resorts, but it is definetly worth asking at the front desk if you realize you need one mid trip. If they are not available you can always rent one at the parks.

jonahbear2006
07-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks go out to everyone who has all these loving stories to tell. It is very supportive and I feel confident now that I will be just find on this trip. Thanks once again for reassuring me. My dr. knows and I am seeing an orthopedic surgeon 2wks before my trip.