PDA

View Full Version : BC v AKL

hardingella
06-30-2009, 10:01 AM
We are VERY excitidly planning our vacation for next May/June for two weeks. We have DD11 and DS8. We stayed at POP but loved the Boardwalk area last year, the thought of not having to bus it all the time makes me happy:)
but kids also love AKL. We just cant decide, so please choose for us? and tell us your reasons why.

Goofeygal
06-30-2009, 10:38 AM
If you are going in May/june I would suggest BC. The pool area is unbelievable. It is like a mini water park.

jonahbear2006
06-30-2009, 10:40 AM
First of all, if your reason for going Deluxe is to avoid busses, then AKL is NOT for you. It is all busses all the time and far away from all the parks. At this rate, I would rather bus from a value and save my money. AKL, to my family, is a gimic. You have a savannah but you only look at it for how many minutes a day, the rooms are some of the smallest of the deluxe on property, and I thought the lobby and the restaurant, even at the low time of the year, was extremely chaotic. The other thing I dislike about this resort is the size of the pool in regards to the resort; its always busy. I thought the hallways were kind of creepy looking and we tired quickly from the demeanor of the staff. You can get the same type of feel, at Wilderness lodge for comparative prices (a bit cheaper), a MUCH better location, and you are close to LOTS of great food.
Comparing this to the Beach club is like apples and oranges. I feel most people out there aren't drawn to BOTH of these resorts, they either like one or the other. Beach club is a great location to epcot and hollywood, and walking through epcot you can monorail to MK. You also have the close proximity to boardwalk, dolphin, swan; in which again, you have great food available. The pools here are amazing, there is a laid back feel, the lobby is quiet and inviting with lots of light pouring in, and the landscaping gives a much cooler(temp wise) feel than AKL.
Personally, if I had the choice between these 2 resorts I would pick Beach Club, hands down, everytime. The location along makes for a much better vacation, in and of itself.

tiaramom
06-30-2009, 12:04 PM
My very favorite is AKL
Yes- as the last person posted.. the buses are needed to go everywhere. Though I found the buses less crowded than value and moderate.
Making it a more enjoyable ride to and fromt he parks. I really like the dark romantic setting. It truely has a nice feel. Moody- ( nice).
The animals outside is an added plus- but doesnt make in my decision for choosing AKL.
I think its the atmosphere- food- and I love the pool. The zero entry makes me very ahppy with a toddler. The childrens activities during the day are a plus. The rooms are very lovely- not as big as other rooms - but very nice and comfortable.
I love walking about the lobby at night. No- there are no boats and or nmonorails- and this is an added benefit- as is the location to all the parks and restaurants. I didnt find beach club in the budget. AKL was less expensive. Perhaps I will try it one day. Until then- I love AKL

ThanxForNoticin
06-30-2009, 12:18 PM
You are choosing between our 2 favorite resorts. AKL is absolutely amazing - peaceful, well-themed, great service, an awesome pool, and some of the best resort restaurants on property. However, if bus transportation is a concern of yours, AKL might not be for you. We've not had problems with the transportation, but anywhere you go from AKL is on the bus (or driving if you have a car).

The BC is also amazing and has the best location for us. Walking/boating to EPCOT and DHS is a big plus. BC also has the most amazing pool anywhere.

To be honest, either choice is outstanding. Based on your original comments, I'm thinking BC might be more for you. Have a great time!

bruin1344
06-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Although I am staying at AKL in August, I would prefer BC because of its close location to Epcot and DHS.

MNNHFLTX
06-30-2009, 03:18 PM
If you have never actually stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge, that would be what I would recommend. Your kids are the perfect age to enjoy the animals and appreciate all the kid-centered activities there--storytelling in the evenings, crafts in the lobby, nightvision goggles at night. The one drawback is that you aren't walking distance and don't have the special direct transportation (like monorail and boat) to one of the parks, like the other deluxes do. And yes, Stormalong Bay at the Beach Club is a lot of fun. But Animal Kingdom Lodge is just an indescribable experience, especially for kids.

jakeybake
06-30-2009, 03:56 PM
I am completely biased towards the Beach Club but that being said I can't see a single reason why anyone would choose the AKL over the Beach Club.

Location, transportation, pool, dining options, resort ambiance, I could go on all day.

Back in the good old days I was the world's biggest GF fan. My DW and I had stayed there on our honeymoon and had visited every trip after. It was always held in the highest esteem by me, partly because of the memories I had as well as just how beautiful the resort actually was.

Back in August of '07 we planned a special trip to celebrate our buying our dream, beach house on the water where we live. My wife thought it would be appropriate to stay at the BC since we were celebrating our beach house. Well as soon as we walked into the lobby, shook Art's hand and checked in there was no turning back for us. The GF quickly became a distant second. Don't get me wrong, we still love to visit but we will never stay any place but the BC from here on out.

Jay

Maryln8
06-30-2009, 09:13 PM
We just arrived home from a week stay at the Beach Club. You will NOT be dissapointed. The pool alone makes the difference. It is light,airy, it feels like a vacation should. It is a short walk to EPCOT, a boat ride to Studios and you can connect to MK from the monorail at the front of EPCOT. You would only need a bus ride to AK or DTD.

hardingella
07-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Its booked. BC it is. Thanks for your help:number1:

316 days to go:)

TikiLounger
07-06-2009, 05:48 PM
We have never stayed at AKL but we did spend a lot of time at the resort when we vacationed with friends and they stayed there. It was beautiful and the Savannah was an interesting novelty...but...it's so far away from anything and we weren't all that impressed. Personally? I would choose the BC. As everyone has said before me...you can't beat the proximity to Epcot and Hollywood Studios and the pool is incredible. It's got a nice relaxed feel, too. We can't wait to stay again for the Food and Wine Festival! Yay!

Pooshu11
07-11-2009, 12:31 AM
I've stayed in AKL back in 01 and recently returned from staying at the BC. I really like both resorts. In fact, we were mulling over staying at BC or AK (really Kidani Village) for our recent trip. We decided on the BC and we were very happy w/ our choice and I'm sure you'll be satisfied too. W/ kids, location is so very important. We have a DS1 and could not really fuss w/ buses, eventhough they are great for the mostpart. We loved that Epoct was walking distance and found ourselves visiting there quite frequently. And w/ your kids being older than mine, they could probably tolerate the friendship ride to HS-about 10 mins. And who wouldn't have fun at that pool?

mickeefan
07-11-2009, 09:25 AM
In addition if you are going in May the Flower & Garden Festival at Epcot will be in full swing.

The topiaries and gardens are unbelievable.

LibertyTreeGal
07-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Stayed at BC last visit and it was fine -- but not worth the price. I did not like the transportation situation and would rather have stayed at WL again or tried AKL.

Bomas is a good reason to choose AKL all by itself!