PDA

View Full Version : Q re: wines at AKL...

Dsnygirl
06-28-2009, 09:55 PM
:wine: We are staying at AKL for the first time this October, and my DH and I are really looking forward to trying some of the wines we've heard they have for sale there. We'd like to try a few and see what we like, and then maybe ship a few bottles home before we leave.

Does anyone have any tips on the wines there, what you have tried and liked, or really not liked??

We tend to prefer wines that are a little sweeter, a little fruitier... we're not really into the drier ones, although we'd be up to trying some, if they were big favorites.

So -- from those of you who may have tried some, what ones would you recommend we try, or do they change all the time, and we'll just have to see what they've got when we get there?? :wine:

:thanks:

Hammer
06-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Surprisingly, I did not have wine any of the times I have eaten at AKL, but I am going to move this to Dining as I think you will get more of a response over there...

Be sure you hold on to your wine glass :wine: ...

AHOTE
06-28-2009, 11:54 PM
This is tough to answer. There are many good to great wines that I am sure you'd enjoy and your best bet would be to ask the sommelier where ever you make reservations. They'll be able to recommend wines that will compliment your meal and your taste preference. I have had them bring two or three different wine to our table so that we could taste them prior to ordering a bottle with dinner. Most of the menus will also list specific wine pairings with good descriptions of the wine. There is a good selection of wines for purchase in the Animal Kingdom Lodge but we've never had any left to ship home. :D There is one other good thing about the time of year you'll be there, the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot. Since you like a sweeter wine make sure you try a sample of the wine offered at the Morocco Pavilion. :wine:

TheRustyScupper
06-29-2009, 08:15 AM
1) AKL is a good place to experiment with South African wines.
2) And, there are some good ones.
3) But, then buy them at home locally or over the web.
4) The wine prices at WDW are 2-3 times normal wine-shop prices.

NOTE: We have checked some prices of other WDW wines with local Orland shops, and saved big-time.

Aggie97
06-29-2009, 03:24 PM
We had a wonderful South African Riesling at Jiko last year, but I can't recall what it was! It was June and so hot outside -- and we wanted a bottle of something cool, crisp and a little fruity, so we asked our server to recommend a Riesling. We were really pleased with it. :mickey:

lawgirl
06-30-2009, 08:54 AM
One of my all-time favorite wines is one that we had at AKL last 2 years in a row. I checked and we don't have a distributor in our state, and can't order online either (TN!).

The name of the vineyard is ANURA...we love the pinotage. Its the best wine I have ever had. Very complex. Awesome!

I looked up the website for ANURA, and now I really want to go to Africa to visit. We'll be at AKL in Sept 2009, and can't wait to try some more SA wines. They tend to be my favorite!

Dsnygirl
06-30-2009, 11:37 AM
1) AKL is a good place to experiment with South African wines.
2) And, there are some good ones.
3) But, then buy them at home locally or over the web.
4) The wine prices at WDW are 2-3 times normal wine-shop prices.

NOTE: We have checked some prices of other WDW wines with local Orland shops, and saved big-time.
:thumbsup: Thanks for the tip -- I'll be sure to try that!

We had a wonderful South African Riesling at Jiko last year, but I can't recall what it was! It was June and so hot outside -- and we wanted a bottle of something cool, crisp and a little fruity, so we asked our server to recommend a Riesling. We were really pleased with it. :mickey:
Yummm -- I love Riesling!

One of my all-time favorite wines is one that we had at AKL last 2 years in a row. I checked and we don't have a distributor in our state, and can't order online either (TN!).

The name of the vineyard is ANURA...we love the pinotage. Its the best wine I have ever had. Very complex. Awesome!

I looked up the website for ANURA, and now I really want to go to Africa to visit. We'll be at AKL in Sept 2009, and can't wait to try some more SA wines. They tend to be my favorite!
I'm going to check on some of these before we even go, so I know beforehand if they're available. That way, I can take RS's advice if they are, and buy them at AKL if they're not! :thumbsup:

:thanks:

PlutoPlanet
07-01-2009, 12:13 PM
We've tried wines by the glass at Boma and Jiko. We have not yet found anything we really like there. We do like the wines in Chefs de France by the glass.
Good Luck!

offwego
07-01-2009, 06:05 PM
We haven't tried the rieslings, but many pinotages and pinotage blends with shiraz or cab.
The sauviogn blancs are quite nice as well.
One red we've had a few times is a hartenburg from stellonbosch at Jiko's. DH will drink almost anything from stellonbosch!
Enjoy and don't hesitate to ask for Shelly if you go to Jiko's she's great!

pox24
07-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Did not take a liking to any of the African wines. The Cab I had at JIKO as I recall was much better with the meal than alone.