PDA

View Full Version : Reservations at your non-home resort

mjaclyn
06-28-2009, 08:23 PM
What are the chances that a person can book a room (any type) at their non-home resort at the 7 month window? Are there any that are nearly impossible to get into?

DH and I just bought into BLT but we also LOVE BCV and AKV. We're probably going to be reserving a studio or one bedroom each time we go. Will we have any chance of getting into the other resorts?

TennesseeTink
06-28-2009, 08:58 PM
I have read on other threads that it's near impossible to book at other than your home resort, especially BCV, BWV, and WLV. So far I've been very lucky. I'm 2 for 2. I've successfully booked BCV at the 7 month window and BLT 6 months out. I was very surprised about BLT since it's for Christmas. BCV was for late May.

rmfreder
06-28-2009, 10:00 PM
I think it all depends on when you are planning to visit. Last year we went in December and could only book for the week we wanted to visit at our home resort (BCV). (I think Saratoga might have been available, but we were trying to get into VWL).

We are visiting WDW in Jan 2010, and recently reached our 7 month window and were able to switch to a Lake View at BLT. However, I also know that there was still availability at both VWL and BCV.

Hammer
06-28-2009, 10:03 PM
There are many things you will need to take into consideration:

When you are going- some times are easier than others to book, though I had absolutely no problem booking a 1 bedroom at BCV at 7 months out for the first week of the Food and Wine Festival
How long is your vacation- I've found that the shorter the trip, the more choices you have
Studio vs. 1 bedroom- At 7 months out it is very hard to get choices for studios at non-home resorts, while I have a lot of choices for 1 bedrooms

Basket Mommy
06-28-2009, 10:05 PM
We've owned at HHI since early 2008. We've not had a problem booking rooms where we want to stay, but we only go during value or regular seasons, so it might not be as difficult to get what we want because there is more available due to lower crowds. I would definitely say it depends a lot on when you go as to what you get. Be willing to be flexible, too. ; )

Maryutigger1
06-28-2009, 10:53 PM
We've been DVC members since March 2006 at SSR&S. I've made reservations for 2 studios at BWV for October 2009. We plan on doing 2 nights there and 2 more nights @ our home resort. NO problem w/BWV. Then, I called to switch from BWV to OKW. Again, NO problem.
As another post said: "depending on the size of the accomodations".....Again, we were asking for 2 studios.

I'm still in shock:eek: re: getting that lucky to GET a studio at BCV!! I've tried there 4 times to no avail!! I only asked for 1 studio!!! Oh well,maybe one day....what's the secret to getting there???

Good luck,
Live,Love,Laugh~~
Maryutigger

MinnieMommie
06-29-2009, 06:42 AM
Chances sounds rather random from reading the OPs. I have gotten BC 2 xs and AKL as well. Interesting once I could not get into SSR and had to be waitlisted although I tried to get the reservation a bit close to the time I wanted to stay. I did manage to get a 1 bedroom at BLT for a week in January. I'm not sure if there is a formula but I would just try first thing in the morning at your 7 month window and see what happens. In general we have been lucky. :mickey:

Jeffybob
06-29-2009, 08:08 AM
We booked a 5-day Studio stay at our Home Resort, the BWV, the first week of May, '09.

On the exact day, 7-mos out, I called to move to the Villas at the Animal Kingdom. Although I could not get the full 5-days at the new Kidani Village, I could get the entire 5-day stay, with a savanna view, in Jambo House.

As others have noted, it depends on when you are traveling, however, DVC CM's have told me two things:

1) Book your stay for the period you want on the exact day, 11-mos out, from your date of arrival. This ensures that you will get the dates that you want and have a lodging reservation for your vacation.

2) Call on the exact day, 7-mos out, to move to the "change resort" you desire.

If your request cannot be made, add your name to the waitlist for the change/stay and if/when it becomes available, you will be in a position to make your switch.

DisneyDudet
06-29-2009, 01:08 PM
We booked a 5-day Studio stay at our Home Resort, the BWV, the first week of May, '09.

On the exact day, 7-mos out, I called to move to the Villas at the Animal Kingdom. Although I could not get the full 5-days at the new Kidani Village, I could get the entire 5-day stay, with a savanna view, in Jambo House.

As others have noted, it depends on when you are traveling, however, DVC CM's have told me two things:

1) Book your stay for the period you want on the exact day, 11-mos out, from your date of arrival. This ensures that you will get the dates that you want and have a lodging reservation for your vacation.

2) Call on the exact day, 7-mos out, to move to the "change resort" you desire.

If your request cannot be made, add your name to the waitlist for the change/stay and if/when it becomes available, you will be in a position to make your switch.

We are new members, and this makes the most sense. It would be just like if you were not a member, booking in a category (value, mod) that you're happy with, even though you may want to try for a better resort later.

Thanks for the info!

mjaclyn
06-29-2009, 11:19 PM
We almost always travel during the value season. The months we go are usually September or January. I'd like to try early December sometime because I've heard it's a great time to go. I was asking more for my DBIL who might buy DVC resale. He's leaning towards getting the cheapest deal but I've always heard you should 'buy where you want to stay'.

Basket Mommy
06-30-2009, 06:07 PM
To me anywhere at WDW is fine because it's at WDW ; ) Some places are more convenient than others or have better pools or whatever, but we have fun no matter where we sleep!

We bought all of our points through resale at HHI because it was the best deal. We just bought 170 points for $60 per point. Can't beat that with a stick! I'd love to own points at BLT, but that'll have to wait until they're *MUCH* cheaper. I can't pay $100+ per point when I know I can points for $60 each at HHI.

I'm cheap. I know.