PDA

View Full Version : Leaving in a week and have a few pregnancy questions.

CardCollector
06-28-2009, 08:13 PM
My wife is pregnant and is due in mid to late October. What rides does she need to avoid?

PharmD
06-28-2009, 08:51 PM
First congratulations on your wife's prenancy. The rides that I would avoid will have warnings about pregnancies. We went when my wife was 6 months pregnant with our youngest. I would avoid rides that are very vigorous in there motions. I would probalby focus on rides like great movie ride, etc. that are easy and don't involve too much motion. Take it easy and just relax, enjoy the shows and take in the scenery. Again congrats on the new addition to the family. :muscles:

CardCollector
06-28-2009, 09:19 PM
What about Soarin? It has the warning sign, but I don't see where the problem would be.

tcswife
06-28-2009, 10:04 PM
I was there last October and the cast members would not let me ride Soarin, well not that they would not let me but they stopped me at the entrance and said that it is recommended that pregnant women not ride this ride!! So I played it safe and skipped the ride!!! As far as other rides go, there are many many rides that are safe to ride!! STAY OFF THE SAFARI!!!! Very very very rough ride that is rather unexpected!!!!:mickey:

illini
06-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Please don't take offense, but this is a question for your wife's OB, not a message board. It's certainly OK to ask, but you're getting non-professional opinions. Only your wife's OB can tell her what is right for her. A lot of the warning signs seem to be cautious in the extreme and following them might be more restrictive than necessary (Soarin' is a good example). MIGHT. Only the doc can tell you and make you feel OK about it.

And just to clarify again-- it's certainly fine to ask and answer. I don't want to start anything! :mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
06-28-2009, 10:36 PM
I was there last October and the cast members would not let me ride Soarin, well not that they would not let me but they stopped me at the entrance and said that it is recommended that pregnant women not ride this ride!! So I played it safe and skipped the ride!!!
I'm kind of surprised by this! I'm sure there are reasons, but I find it so relaxing and smooth.
Definitely skip the Dinosaur ride in AK. Jerks you around a lot. Also obviously Everest, Thunder Mountain, Splash Mt., Rock'nRollercoaster, Space Mt., Tower of Terror, etc. There will be quite a few! Like PP said, note the warnings at the beginning of the rides. There will also be lots of things you can enjoy! Congratulations, and welcome to Intercot!
:wave:

CardCollector
06-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Please don't take offense, but this is a question for your wife's OB, not a message board. It's certainly OK to ask, but you're getting non-professional opinions. Only your wife's OB can tell her what is right for her. A lot of the warning signs seem to be cautious in the extreme and following them might be more restrictive than necessary (Soarin' is a good example). MIGHT. Only the doc can tell you and make you feel OK about it.

And just to clarify again-- it's certainly fine to ask and answer. I don't want to start anything! :mickey:

We have already taken that route and were told to just do what we normally would do. He even said that Splash Mountain would be fine, but we will be skipping this one.

CardCollector
06-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks for all the comments.

5togetherWDW
06-28-2009, 10:59 PM
I did the world while far along in my second pregnancy. The only thing I chose not to do was the coasters - but that was because of the nausea. The rides were all fine for me -- that was great. [I would recommend avoiding Mission Space (it was not open, on my pregnant trip.)] But, the countries of Epcot did me in!! I ended up having to simply sit in Norway while someone went and got me a wheelchair. Please, don't underestimate the effect of summer heat and walking!!

momofdisneyprincess
06-29-2009, 09:28 AM
I have also been to Disney 6 - 7 months pregnant. I asked my OB about the rides and she suggested I avoid the rides that have jarring motions (i.e. roller coasters). The majority of rides do have the warnings up. Most due to legality issues in my opinion (again, my opinion and I'm not a dr.). That being said, I would also avoid the simulator rides (Star Wars). I was very surprised with how much that shook you. I did ride Splash Mountain and Soarin' as neither or those provided jarring motion (again in my own opinion). Do what you two feel comfortable with. Quite frankly, I thought all of the walking took more out of me than the rides. Make sure she takes frequent breaks and keep hydrated with plenty of water. Congratulations on the upcoming birth.

MickeyMousse
06-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Been there, done that!! Avoid anything bumpy and heed to the warning signs that are posted at the rides....they are there for a reason, not for decoration!
And remember to keep her hydrated! Lots of water and take lots of breaks, especially in the heat that WDW is experiencing now.

Disney Doll
06-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Your wife is one brave lady tackling WDW in July while pregnant! I'm worried about our late September trip with the heat because I'll be 23 weeks then. I'd recommend lots of breaks, lots of water, and lots of indoor attractions. As far as rides, just pay attention to the posted signs. Have a great trip!!

Mammabruski
06-29-2009, 10:16 AM
I just returned from a trip with my DD (age 2) and my DM, and I will have a new baby in my arms in 53 days or less :cloud9:... Anyways, she should stay away from the obvious roller coasters, but the ride that I was torn on about riding was Kilimanjaro Safari. I was never able to see on Disney's website about this ride's restrictions, so it wasn't until I reached the entrance to the ride that I saw it was suggested that pregnant women not ride. I was bummed, but I sat it out while my Mom and DD went on it. My DM says it was much bumpier than she recalled it to be. So, there are my 2 cents. Have fun!

Williams5
06-29-2009, 11:07 AM
My wife did Dinosaur while she was about 3 months pregnant with my daughter and she really regretted it. They have warning signs at the beginning of each ride I think. I'd advise avoiding: Splash Mtn, Space Mtn, Big Thunder Mtn, Barnstormer, Dinosaur, Everest, Safari, Test Track, Mission Space, Soarin, Tower of Terror, Rock'n Roller Coaster and maybe Maelstorm.

diz_girl
06-29-2009, 02:06 PM
My wife did Dinosaur while she was about 3 months pregnant with my daughter and she really regretted it. They have warning signs at the beginning of each ride I think. I'd advise avoiding: Splash Mtn, Space Mtn, Big Thunder Mtn, Barnstormer, Dinosaur, Everest, Safari, Test Track, Mission Space, Soarin, Tower of Terror, Rock'n Roller Coaster and maybe Maelstorm.

I avoided everything listed above, except Soarin' and Maelstrom. I rode both of those rides while 5 months pregnant and I was fine. The Maelstrom drop doesn't seem to be any more severe than POTC, so I was fine. As for Soarin', you are belted in, so it's possible that the harness won't fit if you're too far along. More of a concern at Soarin' is ride evacuation during a breakdown. Evacuating the ride may be challenging for expectant mothers in their third trimester, since their center of gravity is off.

As a PP mentioned, she should probably check with her doctor. I didn't check with mine because I just didn't think of it and I was going to avoid the thrill rides anyway. I did check with my doctor about what to do on the drive down (hate flying), so I got advice on that (stop and walk around every two hours in order to avoid a pulmonary embolism).

Even if she doesn't have a doctor's visit before you leave, she can give the doctor a call in lieu of a visit

In any case, she will need to take plenty of breaks. Maybe the baby centers can provide a restful place, even though you don't have a baby yet. She should also drink plenty of fluids and wear comfortable shoes.

Have a great time.

Gator
06-29-2009, 03:33 PM
A PP said don't do Kilam.Safaris, but I disagree. My wife went at the 5 month mark and the Safari is one of the few great rides she was able to enjoy. There is an audible disclaimer in the boarding area, but she didn't understand why. She rode it 3 or 4 times during that trip.

Mammabruski
06-29-2009, 04:02 PM
I just want to chime in one more time about the Kilimanjaro Safari. When my DM got off the ride when we were at WDW just 5 weeks ago, she said it was much, much bumpier than when we all rode the Safari together in November of 2008. I felt better about skipping it, because I really didn't think it was that rough when I rode it last fall right before I got pregnant. Perhaps they have recently made adjustments to the trail and hence its more rough than it used to be. Of course, this is all a matter of opinion, but I do believe the ride has gotten rougher over the last few months.

VWL Mom
06-29-2009, 04:18 PM
I was pregnant with DS14 when we went. Although I was bit bummed at not going on some of the rides with my older one I chose to follow the posted warnings. For me the risk wasn't worth it. I still had a great time with the shows, shops, and quieter rides. Just my :twocents:

passholderryan
06-30-2009, 12:17 PM
My wife and I are due Oct 7th and recenetly returned. I found that my wife didn't want to risk anything happening, so she avoided alot of the rides. The great thing about her being pregnant, was we spent alot of times feasting around World Showcase. She got the food, I did all the drinking:beer::marg:!!!!!

Shauny
07-01-2009, 02:03 PM
I'll be there on the 16th and I'm just turning 3 months and I am REALLY bummed about not being able to get on the thrill rides and I am a adrenaline junkie. We've planned our trip for over a year and I found out I was expecting in May.

Part of me wants to test the waters and get on any ride that doesn't secure you in the midsection and part of me says just wait until you come back. It's hard, I haven't been to DW since 01. I was SO looking forward to the rides and drinking at the Epcot. Now I'll be waiting another couple of years or more for that. Sorry, pregnant woman venting..lol

Belle_0717
07-01-2009, 04:40 PM
We planned the family trip for November before I knew I would be pregnant. All the info is helpful. I plan on spending the time with DNephew who will be 3 and having to skip some of the big kid rides. Keep the posts going. Any info is better than none.

disney100%
07-02-2009, 01:38 PM
I also visited WDW when I was pregnant for my DD. My DS was 14 months at the time. I skipped anything posted because I knew we would be going back (we go every two years). But I will say, I agree with a lot of the advice you have gotten here. Drink lots of water and make frequent stops to rest. I tried to be my regular Disney self (go, go, go) and paid the price the next day! :blush:

Well, congratulations on your pregnancy - have a great time!

Giselle
07-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Avoid sitting in the back of the bus. I went while pregnant and the back of the bus's bumping, heat, and fumes were awful! Have fun!

crazypoohbear
07-02-2009, 08:08 PM
avoid the tea cups!! even watching them made me sick :sick:
Soarin might be beause of the seatbelt across the tummy, legal issues if something happened i would imagine :(
TOT avoid!
I hope you have a healthy happy baby :cloud9: