PDA

View Full Version : To Merrakesh or not to Merrakesh.

Belster
06-27-2009, 10:50 PM
In planning out my ADR's I came across Merrakesh...any thoughts good or bad would be greatly appreciated.

The Cast

DH
Myself
DD11
DS4
DS 1
DM

andreallybadeggs
06-27-2009, 11:42 PM
One of our favorites. We like having late lunch there, enjoy the music and the belly dancer. Took a very large family group once and it was a hit with everyone. Exotic feel and some of the food is for the slightly more adventuresome but everyone found something they would eat. Hard to go wrong with kebabs and rice.

SBETigg
06-28-2009, 12:00 AM
I enjoy Marrakesh. It's a fun place, a little different. If you live in an area with great middle eastern food, it may be a little bland for you. If not (and for most of us, not), it's pretty good with some new things to try.

MinnieMommie
06-28-2009, 06:46 AM
I also give a :thumbsup: to Marrakesh. We have had good experience there. DH is a picky meat and potato type and he was fine with the beef kabob, rice and the very nice white bread they serve (with good butter). The live music and dancing was great. The deserts are good too (as is the mint tea). :mickey:

Magic Smiles
06-28-2009, 08:36 AM
We did a dinner there and it was okay. Nothing wrong with anything, but wouldn't bother to go back.

Andys5Toys
06-28-2009, 08:43 AM
We had a terrible experience at Marrakesh. Our waiter was terrible and pulled a lot of attitude when we asked questions about the menu. Then when the food came, it was undercooked. :ack:

Never again for us.

MarkC
06-28-2009, 09:34 AM
I will also add that it has a very strong food aroma that will bother some people. I'm not certain that your children, especially the younger ones, will enjoy it all. You may want to have some backup plans just in case.

Belster
06-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks for all of your responses. My kids and myself are not picky eaters at all and love to try new things....but I will say that we just went to a middle eastern style wedding and I did not like one thing on the menu.

Maybe it is not the place for us.

ransam
06-28-2009, 10:31 AM
having been to disney many times, one thing i love is the customer service. things change, but their quality of customer service never changes.....and i would say one of the best experiences i have ever had was at that the Marrakesh.

Figment78
06-28-2009, 12:32 PM
:thumbsup: from me too! We love Marrakesh. It's a fun atmosphere, and we've always had good service and food. Check online for a menu before you decide for sure, if you are worried about finding something you will like. DSis and I ate there as children (ages 12 and 8), and we were NOT adventurous eaters.

illini
06-28-2009, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't make your decision based on the ME wedding you attended. Moroccan food has heavy Mediterranean influences. In my experience from watching others, if you like Greek food, you will probably like Moroccan.

bruin1344
06-29-2009, 01:12 PM
I will also add that it has a very strong food aroma that will bother some people. I'm not certain that your children, especially the younger ones, will enjoy it all. You may want to have some backup plans just in case.

I agree. I ate there over 15 years ago when i was kid. I liked it but some of my family members werent crazy about the Moroccan cuisine.

Pally
06-29-2009, 02:08 PM
:thumbsup: from me too! We love Marrakesh. It's a fun atmosphere, and we've always had good service and food. Check online for a menu before you decide for sure, if you are worried about finding something you will like. DSis and I ate there as children (ages 12 and 8), and we were NOT adventurous eaters.

We are going to try this restaurant for the first time this August. I had everyone look at the menu before we booked. Everyone thought they would like something so we are going to try it. :mickey:

Rekenna
06-29-2009, 04:27 PM
For us everything was great (except the food). And we are not picky people. But, it is a really nice dining experience-and probably much different than anything else you tried.

My DH and I were glad we went but, probably would not go again.

JRocker
06-30-2009, 10:05 PM
We ate there on a whim just a couple of days ago. (5pm walk-in, seated immediately)

I have to say that I really enjoyed the food, as did the rest of the crew. However, the service was rancid. We had to ask the manager for drink refills twice, and another server a third time. We saw our server twice; once to take the order, the second time was to bring the check. The place was practically empty, so it's not like the server was busy with other tables. Needless to say, her tip was below standard.

Kathy Jetson
06-30-2009, 11:48 PM
I would like to try this place in Oct. is this someplace you need adrs for or can you just walk up?

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-01-2009, 08:23 AM
I like Greek food and middle eastern cuisine and I did not like the food here. The decor is very cool and the service was good, and my son loved the belly dancer, but I just can't recommend it because of the food. My son is a picky eater and couldn't find anything he liked. Sorry:ack:

wire0monkey
07-01-2009, 08:24 AM
We had a wonderful experience there in 2001 and again in 2006.

In 2007, the food was dry, over-cooked and cold. (Like it had been prepared early and left out.) The wait staff was terrible.

We won't go back.

wire0monkey
07-01-2009, 08:25 AM
I would like to try this place in Oct. is this someplace you need adrs for or can you just walk up?

I've done walk-ups there twice in the value season and been seated immediately.

kdsjjb
07-01-2009, 03:59 PM
We've enjoyed it every time we've been there. And we've never had an ADR. Walked up every time.

threeh
07-01-2009, 05:01 PM
when in doubt Marrekesh!!
It is a family favorite here:thumbsup:

maxrebo77
07-02-2009, 10:29 AM
My daughter and I were at Marakesh years ago. Except for the part that we were seated under a leaking AC duck, we really enjoyed it. If you are worried about wasting a TS credit, do CS at Tangerine Cafe. Except for changes they have had to make for the DDP, Very Good.

TheVBs
07-02-2009, 03:01 PM
We've always had good food and service experiences here. I think this is one of the few places that you can easily walk in to without an ADR.

threeh
07-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Tangerine cafe is another great option as the above poster mentioned. :thumbsup: We are doing CS only this trip and it is a must do!!!

WelshieLover
07-02-2009, 03:38 PM
My Husband has always wanted to eat there. This trip I finally decided we would do it. We had with us 4 very picky older teenagers. The kind that still think that chicken fingers and grilled cheese are the only things to eat. I am really pleased to say that they all loved it and tried everything on their plates and left little to nothing behind.

I think you should definitely give it a try.

Unlike a previous poster we did not notice any strong food odors. Nor did we find the service bad. The waiters/waitresses were a little more aloof than in other restaurants we have been in. I chalked that up to cultural differences, not bad service.

We will definitely go back on our next trip!