PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Captain EO

pokci
06-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Maybe Epcot can bring back Captain EO for a limited engagement?

casey@bat
06-27-2009, 09:55 PM
I was telling my DH about that. It seemed awesome at the time. I wonder what it would be like to watch it today compared to all the new ones.

PharmD
06-28-2009, 09:44 AM
I got to see that attraction once. I really liked it. That was the first trip my wife and I made to Disney and was the start of our Disney Fanatacism :crazy:. I was sad to learn of Michaels death. Although he had some personal issues I think he was a good person at heart.

Hull-onian
06-28-2009, 10:44 AM

What was Captain EO? I don't remember it.

TheRustyScupper
06-28-2009, 10:53 AM

1) No
2) No
3) No
4) No
5) No !
6) It wasn't that great to begin with.
7) Plus, WDW probably doesn't want the PR problems related to Michael.

WDW_Obsessed
06-28-2009, 10:58 AM
I loved Captain EO!! You can YouTube it and they have the full movie on there. I think it's a cool idea for them to bring it back for a limited engagement, but I agree that Disney probably wouldn't due to the allegations surrounding his personal life. However, there's no denying he was a very significant and talented artist. I'm sad to see him pass.

badkitty
06-28-2009, 01:36 PM
What was Captain EO? I don't remember it.

Captain EO was the movie that had Michael as the captain of a spaceship that had to deliver a "gift" to a spidery evil woman (Angelica Huston). It had Michael's famous ensemble dancing and a cute little furry creature with wings.

I really liked that show a lot. My mom loved Michael's dancing so Captain EO was a "must-do" every time we went to Disneyland.

I have a video somewhere of the Making of Captain EO that I taped from the TV a long time ago.

kakn7294
06-28-2009, 02:41 PM
I just watched in on youtube and I have to say, outside of the song and dance routine, the rest of the movie was terrible! I really don't think it will be coming back - doesn't seem to be Disney's style to bring back a defunct attraction to honor someone.

DizneyFreak2002
06-28-2009, 04:28 PM
You would sooner see it a a DVD release than brought back to the parks...

Faver
06-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Yes.... Rest in Peace, Captain EO!!!!

cal5755
06-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Was this a 3d movie?? I am going to have to youtube it to see if it is familiar... I remember seeing something with MJ on my very first visit .... I was like 11 or 12 then...

I am sad for his passing....

WDWCrazyKaren
06-29-2009, 08:30 AM
We saw Captain EO many times "back in the day". Ok, I'll admit we didn't really find it amazing, however, it was a good 3D (and one of the only ones) movie at the time, so we saw it over and over.

We will certainly miss the MJ of old, back when he was the ultimate performer!

wishiniwasthere
06-29-2009, 10:25 AM
I just watched some of it on you tube, and honestly, I am not sorry I missed this at Disney. I couldn't even watch it all. Didn't like it, at all. So, as far as I'm concerned, they can keep it in the vault.

KAJUNKING
06-29-2009, 10:55 AM
i do remember the attraction, but where was it located?

DizNee143
06-29-2009, 11:21 AM
i do remember the attraction, but where was it located?

right next to figment..where honey i shrunk the audience is...

i was wondering the same thing..i think it would be cool if they brought it back..i would definitely go see it!!! to me it is waaaaaaaaay better than honey i shrunk the audience!!! they sersiously need to update that attraction! it stinks..

KAJUNKING
06-29-2009, 12:06 PM
right next to figment..where honey i shrunk the audience is...

i was wondering the same thing..i think it would be cool if they brought it back..i would definitely go see it!!! to me it is waaaaaaaaay better than honey i shrunk the audience!!! they sersiously need to update that attraction! it stinks..

thanks! :mickey:

bruin1344
06-29-2009, 01:02 PM
it is too outdated

Jll3Sonex
06-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Took a look at it on Youtube...

Some things should stay in the past. Although good for the time, its time was about 25 years back. It doesn't wear well at all.

Imagineer1981
06-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Ya, it was good in the 80s, but doesn't fit Disney at all. It was like American Idol, it will pass

trackbarroness
07-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Ya, it was good in the 80s, but doesn't fit Disney at all. It was like American Idol, it will pass

Are ya sure American Idol will pass? So why is American Idol still going strong hmm?
And when did you work at SM? just curious

It'sWDW4me
07-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Are ya sure American Idol will pass? So why is American Idol still going strong hmm?

American Idol (as far as in DHS) is still going strong only because it's so very new. I have absolutely no desire to see it and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Every fad passes - even Who Wants to be a Millionaire? passed eventually. Idol's only a few years old. It could very well wind up at the bottom of the tank 2-3 years from now.

TheRustyScupper
07-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Lest we forget . . .

. . . Farrah Fawcet was an angel
. . . Michael Jackson was not

2Epcot
07-01-2009, 05:46 PM
We saw Captain EO many times at Disneyland and a couple of times at WDW. I thought it was good, but really loved the sound. The music was so loud and sounded great.

Marceline
07-01-2009, 05:59 PM
I loved Captain EO as a teenager, but I agree....it is dated, and Disney changed the attraction shortly after the first round of allegations against Micheal Jackson occurred. I am sure Disney will stick with staying out of the ambiguous mire on this one.

That said..... The music in Captain EO is awesome. "Another Part of Me" is one of my favorite Micheal Jackson songs. The lyrics are very uplifting and they make a heartfelt impact, just like all good Disney entertainment does. :thumbsup:

"We're Takin' Over
We Have The Truth
This Is The Mission
To See It Through

Don't Point Your Finger
Not Dangerous
This Is Our Planet
You're One Of Us

We're Sendin' Out
A Major Love
And This Is Our
Message To You
(Message To You)
The Planets Are Linin' Up
We're Bringin' Brighter Days
They're All In Line
Waitin' For You
Can't You See . . .?
You're Just Another Part Of Me . ."

:yes: Good message. Make what you will out of the messenger....still a good message.

:mickey:

Toad_Passenger
07-02-2009, 07:40 AM
I've been an MJ fan for my whole life. In fact his death seems to have left a large emptiness in the soundtrack of my childhood.

Of course my first memories of EPCOT include seeing Captain EO in 3-D. I would love to see Disney do a return engagement to honor Michael, but it's just not feasible.

I bought a lot of EO merchandise and I still have it to this day. My favorite is my plush Fuzzball doll. He's one of the few stuffed animals I have from my younger years that I managed to keep in great condition!

RIP Michael.

maxrebo77
07-02-2009, 12:05 PM
I am glad someone brought this up. I was afraid to.I will say my goodbye to Michael Jackson through Captain EO. So Cool. We ARE Here to Change the World.
Rest Well

egospotter
07-02-2009, 12:42 PM
I think they should release it on DVD. In fact I think they should have done it ages ago. It was on MTV once (only once) during a Michael Jackson Weekend and I taped it, but it's VHS and not in 3D. It would be nice to have a good copy of it.

I don't see them bringing it back to the parks, and as much as I love it I am almost glad because I won't have to hear anyone's snide remarks as they walk by it. I get that some people don't like him, but a lot do. He's gone now, it's time to let it rest.

Also, if Captain EP is dated, so is Honey I Shrunk the Kids. We really need a new 3D movie at Epcot! In fact the whole pavilion needs to be re-imagined (pun intended.)

Mousemates
07-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Also, if Captain EP is dated, so is Honey I Shrunk the Kids. We really need a new 3D movie at Epcot! In fact the whole pavilion needs to be re-imagined (pun intended.)

You got that right. As for Captain EO...it disappeared for a reason and there is no good reason to ever bring it back.

nicster
07-02-2009, 09:15 PM
I do like thinking of Michael Jackson as Capital EO rather than relating to all the things that lead to him being called 'Jacko-Wacko'. It is tragic that his mother, father, siblings, & children are grieving, and for that I am truly sorry.

TracyL
07-06-2009, 10:40 PM
I had completely forgotten about Captain EO until I saw it mentioned in a message from D23.

It was great at the time - I remember grudgingly admitting that it was good even though I didn't much care for MJ. I do appreciate his immense talent and the legacy of his music, even though most of it doesn't happen to be to my personal taste. I was sorry to see him go at such a young age, and have felt sorry for him and his family for several years as he has been in obvious physical and mental decline. A tragic end to a fairy tale beginning....