PDA

View Full Version : Netbooks

Jeri Lynn
06-26-2009, 03:02 PM
I saw a netbook today and I'm wondering if anyone has one and what the advantage is to having one...

Thanks!

NotaGeek
06-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Netbooks are pretty lame IMO. You literally get access to the internet and email and not much more, they do not have the versatility of a lap top, yet they are almost as big as one. I guess if you only want to cruise the internet, post on social networking sites and check webmail they are perfect -- but I can do all that from my iPhone, so not sure if they are worth the money...

tazlikesrobots
06-26-2009, 04:37 PM
We have both in our household and lately it seems we use the notebooks more than out desktop.

However it all depends on what you want to use it for. I use my desktop for all my video and photo editing. If all I need to do is send a quick email,then the notebook works just as great and I do not have to leave the livingroom :)

MNNHFLTX
06-26-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm kind of with Michael on this one. Maybe there is some value with Netbooks in portability for students, but otherwise their use seems very limited to me. My MIL has one and keeps it at the kitchen table to send/receive email and peruse the news in the morning. I love her dearly, but I don't know why she just doesn't get up and walk 20 feet into the office to use her desktop for that.

VWL Mom
06-26-2009, 08:11 PM
I have an IMAC and an older laptop (windows XP) that I use for day to day work. I got a netbook for Mother's Day and love it, mostly for the portability. It weighs next to nothing and fits in my pocketbook. It is so easy to travel with.

scooterca42
06-27-2009, 06:40 AM
DH - "Hm, that actor looks familiar"
Me - "Let me look him up." Boots up netbook that sits on my side coffeetable and runs on our wireless network.

or

DH - "Hey, want to go to the movies?"
Me - "I'll see what's on and when." Boots up netbook that sits on my side coffetable and runs on our wireless network.

or

DH - "Is there anything on this flashcard we need to keep?"
Me - "Let me have a look at it." Boots up netbook and slides card into the appropriate slot on the side.

It's a tool. Given what we use it for, and how often we do use it, it's a very cool tool that has rapidly become part of our lives. I keep it charged but generally use it without the power cord - portable. On the wireless network I can surf and search, check email and Intercot. I DON'T bank on it because I don't trust even locked wireless systems, but I was able to skype on it for half an hour while sitting outside! Got to show my sister, who lives in Australia, the new deck set and the new second-hand car because it has a camera, speaker and mic built in.

It's a portable hard drive to download digital pictures, and the portability means those pictures might actually be edited and presented to people. It's light to carry and will come to Disney with us next trip. If I find a wireless hot spot I'll make use of it.

Decide what you want to use it for. Extensive word docs and spreadsheets? Not so much. But I've never regretted spending the money. I use it daily, and I've even named it "My Toy" on our wireless network. That's what it is. But for me it's an amazingly useful toy.

I have a shiny blue Acer Aspire and I love the little thing.

Jeri Lynn
07-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I do have a desk top computer and we have an old dinosaur laptop that was my oldest daughters her first year of college (2005), my son has all his ipod music on it and it is slow as molasses.

I don't really need an actual laptop because I'm really only looking for something to access the internet when I am away.

I will sit and think on it a little more and decide how badly I really think I need it. If I used it at our camp in Maine I would need a wireless card and that is an extra expense. I swore I would never bring one with me but there have been times it would have been handy to be able to find things in our area in Maine for things we have needed.

It could just be a passing phase for me because I saw one on sale at Staples....I'll wait it out!

DisneyDog
07-01-2009, 03:52 PM
It depends on who you are and your skill level and needs. My mom is looking at one. She only uses the computer for email. Every time she needs to find something on the Internet, she calls me and asks me to look it up for her. Sigh.

mrsgaribaldi
07-01-2009, 11:35 PM
We took one to Disney and it was easier than the laptop. Dh has his phone provided by his work so it's not anything special and mine is nothing. It was easier in the airport with the smaller device. :mickey:

DizneyRox
07-02-2009, 01:02 AM
You can't install software on netbook?

VWL Mom
07-02-2009, 07:45 AM

If you really wanted to install something you can either buy an external drive for about $80 or if you have a home network you can do it through that. Probably wouldn't want to put too much extra on it.

Toad_Passenger
07-02-2009, 07:48 AM

Just with any computer, it all depends on your netbook. There are some out there that you can install a lot of stuff on, and those that just won't handle a lot of extra software.

Most people I know use their netbooks for the net (obviously) and simple Excel & Word documents. Beyond that you'll have a better experience with a full notebook.

fupresti
07-02-2009, 12:07 PM
I have a 8.9" Asus EEE PC netbook that I got from work and the thing is pretty useless. It has just enough horsepower to read email and look browse the web (no video). I have a 13" MacBook that is just as portable and I can do anything.

If you are set on buying one, I suggest looking at new ones built on the Nvidia ION platform. They are much more capable of doing thinks like photo editing and watching videos and can even output 1080P content through HDMI.

fupresti
07-02-2009, 12:10 PM
If I used it at our camp in Maine I would need a wireless card and that is an extra expense.

If you have a cell phone that supports tethering, you can use your cell phone as a modem. Check with your cell phone provider to see if this is an option. In some cases, it is only $15.00-$20.00 extra for this option and you don't need a separate adapter.