PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Hotel to Undergo Significant Renovation

Melanie
06-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Disneyland Press Release

Landmark Disneyland Hotel to Undergo Significant Renovation

ANAHEIM, Calif. (June 16, 2009) – Beginning in August 2009, Southern California’s landmark Disneyland Hotel will start a significant renovation project that will include major improvements to its guest rooms and considerable changes to the exterior of the hotel. The hotel will remain open during the renovation, which will be conducted in phases, and is scheduled to be completed in 2012.

“We are excited to embark on the largest and most extensive renovation of one of Disney’s classic hotels,” said Disneyland Resort President Ed Grier. “This renovation provides us with the opportunity to bring new magic to this historic hotel, which enables us to enhance the Disney experience that our guests have come to expect. “It also reinforces our ongoing commitment and investment in the Anaheim Resort District – working with the city and area businesses to continue to evolve the district into a world-class, multi-day tourist destination,” added Grier.

Significant Guest Room Upgrades, New Room Amenities and Exterior Enhancements
Disneyland Hotel’s renovated guest rooms will feature an all-new contemporary look with exquisite Disney touches woven into the décor. A stunning new headboard that features an artistically carved representation of Disneyland Park’s famous Sleeping Beauty Castle will serve as the focal point in each guest room. The background on the headboard uses fiber optics to create a magical skyline with fireworks – bringing the immersive park experience into the room. Rooms also will feature black and white art that will take guests back in time, reinforcing the nostalgia and history of Walt’s first theme park.

When completed, guest rooms will boast new flat screen TVs, mini-refrigerators, coffeemakers, safes capable of holding laptop computers, and new state-of-the-art telephone, cable and wireless Internet connections. Upgrades to plumbing, electrical, heating and air conditioning systems also are included in the project.

Disneyland Resort’s original hotel, built in 1955, also will experience a noteworthy change to its exterior. All of the three towers will feature an updated look, with large windows that will give the outside a sleek, radiant blue tint. The windows will replace the current sliding doors and faux balcony railings and are specially designed to be energy efficient and to extensively filter outside noise.

“The new design for the hotel’s exterior will enhance the existing towers and compliment the resort as a whole. The windows will feature a sky blue reflective glass that channels the feel of our bright California sky,” said Mike Montague, director of resort development for Walt Disney Imagineering.

The Disneyland Hotel is composed of three main structures – the Magic, Wonder and Dreams towers. Construction will take place in one vertical half of a tower at a time – leaving the rest of the tower open for guests. The Dreams tower will be the first to be renovated and is scheduled to be completed in June 2010.

Popular Choice for Convention Visitors
In addition to being a top choice for vacationing families, Disneyland Hotel has long been a favorite for meeting and convention planners because of its prime location and size – and direct access to more than 136,000 square feet of convention space. Anaheim hosts hundreds of groups each year and the renovation will help maintain the city’s premiere position as a meeting destination.

“We are thrilled with Disney’s plans to renovate the Disneyland Hotel,” said Charles W. Ahlers, president of the Anaheim/Orange County Visitor and Convention Bureau. “With the renovation of the hotel and the expansion of Disney’s Grand Californian, coupled with other new hotel developments that are coming to Anaheim over the next few years, our city will continue to be a premier destination for convention and meeting planners.”

Energy Efficient Enhancements
As with other construction and enhancements that are underway throughout Disneyland Resort, the renovation will include energy-efficient upgrades. The most notable feature will be the hotel’s new windows. With their reflective capabilities and double-pane glass, the windows will change the look of the exterior of the hotel dramatically, while reducing energy consumption by keeping guest rooms at the desired temperature.

The use of occupancy sensors in guest rooms, low-flow toilets, energy-efficient light bulbs and paint low in volatile organic compounds are just a few more of the ways that the hotel will offer guests a “green” lodging experience.

Renovation is Part of Larger Resort Expansion
The Disneyland Hotel renovation is a part of a larger expansion project underway throughout the resort. Disney’s California Adventure Park is undergoing a multi-year expansion project that includes new experiences, attractions and night-time spectaculars, culminating in 2012 with the opening a brand new land – Cars Land. The four-star Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa is also undergoing an expansion, adding 200 hotel rooms and 50 two-bedroom villas that are part of Disney Vacation Club, which will make its first West Coast debut when it opens in the fall of 2009.

NotaGeek
06-26-2009, 02:46 PM
:clappy:

I hope the rooms aren't too cheesy, it would be bad if they ended up being a cheesy Las Vegas version of the DLH.

Melanie
06-26-2009, 03:00 PM
I LOVE the headboard! Doesn't say 'cheesy' to me, but who ever said I had taste? ;)

NotaGeek
06-26-2009, 03:02 PM
I LOVE the headboard! Doesn't say 'cheesy' to me, but who ever said I had taste? ;)
I need to see it in person ... it looks a bit black lacquery to me ... but I am all about the fiber optic fireworks! I can't wait to stay in one of the rooms ... it stinks they are loosing the balconies though ... of course we knew that a year ago!

Melanie
06-26-2009, 03:09 PM
... it stinks they are loosing the balconies though ... of course we knew that a year ago!

Yep, I believe we saw one of the very first rooms being redone, or at least a prototype, right?

NotaGeek
06-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Yep, I believe we saw one of the very first rooms being redone, or at least a prototype, right?
Yeah ... it's funny how they are making such a big deal about the beautiful blue reflective glass to deflect from the fact that you can't open the windows anymore ...

badkitty
06-26-2009, 05:46 PM
I miss the old hotel (before DTD) and the garden rooms. I have such wonderful memories of family vacations there. I didn't realize they changed the names of the towers (shows how long it has been since I have stayed there). My mom's favorite rooms were in the tower (I can't remember what they called it then) across from the check-in tower looking over the waterfalls and you could watch the "dancing waters" from your room. So fun!

Melanie
06-26-2009, 06:35 PM
My mom's favorite rooms were in the tower (I can't remember what they called it then) across from the check-in tower looking over the waterfalls and you could watch the "dancing waters" from your room. So fun!

That's Bonita. My favorite too.

NotaGeek
06-26-2009, 07:11 PM
OMG. I can't believe you won't be able to hear the waterfalls anymore ... best nap I ever took was with the door open and the crashing of the waterfalls in Bonita tower!!! :(

Mufasa
06-26-2009, 07:33 PM
OMG. I can't believe you won't be able to hear the waterfalls anymore ... best nap I ever took was with the door open and the crashing of the waterfalls in Bonita tower!!! :(

And now the towers have the new names:

What was the Marina Tower (main lobby) is now known as Magic.

Sierra is now known as Dreams (the tower facing Downtown Disney)

And the beloved Bonita Tower is now called Wonder.

Chescat
07-15-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm encouraged to see the upgrade. We stayed there twice a couple years ago and vowed not to stay there again. We've moved to the Grand Californian. We stayed in the tower by the waterfall (South one). In that building the adjoining room door was the bathroom. We didn't sleep for 3 nights with listening to the next door kids yelling and screaming at the sink each morning since sound was bouncing off the tile floor. It was awful.

I grew up staying in that hotel since I was a kid in the 60's and was sadden to see that it just hasn't caught up. I loved those garden rooms and also miss them. This is awesome. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Ed
07-19-2009, 04:18 PM
And now the towers have the new names:

What was the Marina Tower (main lobby) is now known as Magic.

Sierra is now known as Dreams (the tower facing Downtown Disney)

And the beloved Bonita Tower is now called Wonder.

Wow! Those sound like great names for....oh, I don't know.....maybe....cruise ships? :D

They going to build another tower and name it Fantasy? ;)

Melanie
07-19-2009, 05:08 PM
I remember thinking the exact same thing when I originally heard the names, Ed. :ack:

Crow
07-23-2009, 11:22 PM
so maybe this is a reason i should wait to make my first visit to DL. If I should stay at at DL resort.

NotaGeek
07-23-2009, 11:30 PM
so maybe this is a reason i should wait to make my first visit to DL. If I should stay at at DL resort.
Looks like you're looking or a reason to not go ... Disneyland will be there, do whatever feels right.

AbeeNormal
07-24-2009, 11:20 PM
My Family is going to be staying in the Disneyland Hotel on Aug. 2nd for five days......:mickey3::mickey3: Do you think there's a chance we might stay in a renovated room? Or has the change just started?

Any news would be awesome..:thumbsup:

NotaGeek
07-25-2009, 12:35 AM
My Family is going to be staying in the Disneyland Hotel on Aug. 2nd for five days......:mickey3::mickey3: Do you think there's a chance we might stay in a renovated room? Or has the change just started?

Any news would be awesome..:thumbsup:
The renovation is starting in August, so its doubtful there will be rooms ready yet ...

MegaDisney
07-25-2009, 10:44 AM
I like the new rooms, but hate the new names.

I will miss the waterfall sounds for sure!

Ed
09-27-2009, 08:14 AM
We just got back from an all-too-short stay. We spent 3 nights in the DLH, Magic building, 8th floor pool view.

Renovations are underway in the Dreams building. They are in the process of removing the sliding glass doors and "balcony" railings and replacing them with fixed-pane window walls. The new windows appear to be tinted blue. Right now, it looks like they're only working on the right half (as viewed from the pool) of the building, and the left half is still occupied by guests.

As for present conditions of the DLH, we found our room to be very clean and well maintained. The common areas - hallways, lobbies, exterior areas - all seem to be in very good condition. My only real complaints with the room were the lack of a coffee pot, and a shower with a mind of its own - hot one moment, and freezing cold the next. Hopefully the renovations include new shower valves.

Laughin' place
04-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Will there still be the waterfalls you can walk under, with the colored lights. This is a vague description, I know, but it comes from vague childhood memories. I believe there was once a walkway that went under/behind waterfalls 9the backside of water) that had colored lighting...

NotaGeek
04-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Will there still be the waterfalls you can walk under, with the colored lights. This is a vague description, I know, but it comes from vague childhood memories. I believe there was once a walkway that went under/behind waterfalls 9the backside of water) that had colored lighting...
The waterfalls are still there. The renovations are to the actual rooms, the grounds aren't in the plans that I have heard...

Laughin' place
04-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the good news! Thought since I was young that the falls were sooo romantic, and now Ive got someone to share the magic with.
DL or Bust Nov 2010:party:

badkitty
04-07-2010, 09:14 PM
I love the waterfalls and have many fond memories of family trips in the 70's and 80's.