PDA

View Full Version : My daughter broke her arm!

StinksMom
06-26-2009, 09:50 AM
My daughter is in a cast, above her elbow, for the next 6 weeks. We go to Disney in July and I was wondering if there are ride restrictions for people in casts. Obviously we won't do RNR but what about SM and BTMRR??? It will break her heart if she can't ride those 2 rides :cry:

Soccermom12
06-26-2009, 10:07 AM
We went a few years ago (2006) and my son had a cast above his elbow. He was able to go on every ride...there were no restrictions (he went on every roller coaster...even Rock'nRoller coaster). On Splash Mountain we covered the cast with a plastic bag just to make sure it didn't get wet. The only ride he didn't go on was Kali River Rapids - we just thought it would be too hard to keep the cast dry. On the plus side - all of the cast members and characters gave him extra attention. He even got all of the characters we met to sign his cast!

Of course we asked his doctor before we went to make sure the doctor didn't have any restrictions.

reneeandmark
06-26-2009, 11:15 AM
I tore my Achilles Tendon 8 weeks before our last trip. I just made sure to have a note from my Doctor stating what I was and was not allowed to do. (He did not restrict me except in the water parks due to NOT being in a cast, only in a cam walker). There are casts now that are allowed in water and will dry right out. Check to see if your daughter's is this kind and you will not even have to worry with plastic bags. Have a great trip.:mickey:

Imagineer1981
06-26-2009, 11:41 AM
There are no ride restrictions because you are not restrained by your arms. Just use common sense. If its a ride were you will get jerked around alot like Primeval Whirl, probably skip it, only because it would hurt to bump it I"d think

MNNHFLTX
06-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Oh, your poor daughter! Hope she's not too uncomfortable. :pixie:

No ride restrictions from Disney, but really the doctor is the one who will have to tell you what kind of rides to avoid. I would think that Splash Mountain would be okay, but her arm might not be stable enough to take the jerking around on Big Thunder Mountain. Depends on when in July you'll be going and (again) what the doctor says.

momef3grls
06-26-2009, 02:30 PM
My daughter had ACL reconstruction 2 weeks before we went in 07. We just had to watch because of the brace she was in. She went on everything except Kali and that was only because the Dr didn't want the surgery site sopping wet. Go and enjoy and take it at her pace. If she has pain make sure you take it easy.

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
06-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Concurring with prior posters, I think this is more of a medical issue than an issue of ride restrictions. So long as the ride restraint can be lowered, I don't know of any restrictions that would prevent someone in an arm cast from rising anything. Common sense and doctor's advice will prevail here.

SFTrny
06-26-2009, 07:56 PM
My daughter had surgery and her leg has in a cast for our last trip to WDW. We had hoped to schedule around it, but the surgery was delayed. Her perspective was - "Either way, I am going to have the cast and I'd rather have a cast at WDW than anywhere else." SO...off we went and we had a blast! No ride restrictions...although some things we bypassed because she was using a wheelchair. Still, it was one of our best trips!

kakn7294
06-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Ask her doctor what her restrictions will be. As the parent of a child who has also broken her arm, I suggest taking a small pillow (check a fabric store for a 12 or 14" form) in a waterproof drawstring backpack to rest her arm upon. Those casts can be heavy and tire her out quickly. DD carried her little pillow everywhere. She also had a sling but complained that it rubbed her neck even after I padded it and still preferred her pillow. Good luck!

beksy
06-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Growing up we went to WDW with many different ailments and injuries. Once my sister was recovering from chicken pox (she was over them and not contagious but still had some marks on her face) and we got quite a few strange looks. We've also gone with my sister in a wheelchair and leg brace after surgury and on another trip with me in two leg braces and in a wheelchair after a surgury on both legs. We learned that regardless of anything else, we were at Disney! The CMs were great and gave us special attention and the characters did too. Those were some of our best trips. Looking back, there really wasn't anything that we couldn't do, except Space Mtn. because of the vehicle design but that wouldn't affect an arm. Just follow doctor's orders, and what her body is telling her. If she wants to try the roller coasters maybe trying one at the end of the first day so it won't knock her out of the rest of the day if it doesn't go so well but will give her plenty of time for more rides if it does. I'd say the main worry is getting it wet and there are lots of creative ways to help with that (I've been in a lot of casts over the years!). Also remember the pain medicine. Even if she doesn't need it as much or at all at home, at Disney she might since it will be more strain. Have fun and I hope she's feeling well soon! :party2: :tink:

Iteachpc
06-27-2009, 11:20 PM
My neighbor's daughter broke her arm the week before they headed to the beach for vacation. She got this rubber cover that fits over the cast. It was very snug and tight fitting. It looked sort of like a hot water bottle. Her daughter was able to swim all week without any problems. They're designed to allow people with casts to shower or bath without getting the cast wet, but it also worked for swimming.

gregburg
06-29-2009, 03:20 PM
My daughter broke her arm a week before our first trip to WDW back in 02.

There is such a thing as a water proof cast. It uses Gortex. If she already has the cast though you maybe out of luck.

If you can't do that, then the other thing to look at is getting some "umbrella" bags. They have these at Publix in FL. They are a long bag that is really tough and it fits over the arm really well. We would then use some electrical tape to tighten it (not too tight) around her arm.

These worked so well we were able to take her to the pool. Now we could not let her get completely wet, but she was able to still have a lot of fun.

Last - HAVE FUN! She got so much attention from the CM's and Characters.

-Greg

ransam
06-29-2009, 10:59 PM
my sister broke her foot about a month before we went...she toughed it out....