PDA

View Full Version : a few questions

mason123
06-25-2009, 03:32 PM
how many buses do disney have in total?

where do the monorails park for the night?

how many drivers work for disney?

how many cast members come from the uk?

many thanks
mason123.

PharmD
06-26-2009, 06:48 PM

many thanks
mason123.

They have approximately 263 buses.

The monorails usually park in the monorail shop that is located on a spur to the right just after the contemporary resort stop and just before the magic kingdom stop. Some monorails may be left at different stations.

There are approximately 1000 bus drivers.

Couldn't find anything on how many uk employee's there are.

SFTrny
06-26-2009, 07:51 PM

many thanks
mason123.

Wow...that's pretty abstract and specific at the same time.

Are you building a replica in your garage?

faline
06-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Way back when, my daughter did a behind the scenes tour at Disney World (I don't think they offered such tours to adults back then). During that tour, they visited the facility where they store out of service monorails.

Also, when we stayed at the Contemporary - probably more than 10 years ago, we would often sit on our balcony (Magic Kingdom view) and watch them take the monorails out of service in the evening. It appeared, they would change to another track and head into storage for the night.

joelkfla
06-27-2009, 12:06 AM
Number of buses: 263 is the last official number I've seen, but that's a couple of years old. I think the number is closer to 300 now, because every year we get some new ones, but retire less than we acquire. This year we bought 15; last year we got at least twice that many. We have the 3rd largest bus fleet in FL.

There are about 1100 full-time bus drivers, plus several hundred part-time drivers.

The monorails are parked in the roundhouse behind the MK: the steam trains are downstairs, and the monorails upstairs. (It's not actually round; that's a historical name from when steam train barns were built around a huge turntable.) Guests can visit the roundhouse on the Magic Behind Our Steam Trains tour (but I don't think the tour goes upstairs to the Monorail area.)

The spur beam to the roundhouse runs behind Space Mountain. The switch is located by the MK bus boarding area. The switch works by sliding a hinged section of beam horizontally, to line up with the spur beam. It's much like a conventional railroad switch, except that the length and mass of the hinged section are much larger.

goofygirl67
06-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Disney does have the 3rd largest bus fleet behind the cities of Miami and Jacksonville, not sure who's first though. Our state capital, Tallahasee, is not up there. I was surprised to find out my hometown (Jax) was there and not Orlando or Tampa.:mickey: