PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to treat myself

luvdiznee
06-25-2009, 10:27 AM
to a brand new washer and dryer. :thumbsup:It's been a while since I've had one, about 3 years. So anyone who bought one recently, what do you look for? What are good prices, brands? I am leaning towards one of those front loaders in red. :secret:Since this is a treat. And who would I get to install? Do the stores do this? Any ideas? And as far as the dryer, do I want electric or gas?

Scott C
06-25-2009, 11:39 AM
We bought a new set a couple of years ago. Bought Whirlpool. Bought a front loading washer and it is great. No one could give me a valid reason to buy the matching dryer though -- so we bought a traditional one. Oh and the matching bases -- we skipped them -- highly overpriced -- since they are in our unfinished basement -- we saved over $300 by using concrete blocks.

Good Luck
Scott

Scott C
06-25-2009, 11:40 AM
And yes, most stores will install for a fee -- though that fee might be negotiable.

Thanks
Scott C

luvdiznee
06-25-2009, 11:48 AM
Oooh..concrete blocks that sounds like a good idea. :thumbsup:

Scott C
06-25-2009, 12:03 PM
works for us -- the stands look great -- but hey thats 2 nights at POFQ.

Good Luck
Scott C

luvdiznee
06-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Yes, I will take it. Where I can save $$$ I will!:thumbsup:

garymacd
06-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Oooh..concrete blocks that sounds like a good idea. :thumbsup:

Yeah, and if the washer breaks down, you can go old school style and beat your clothes against the concrete blocks the way our ancestors did against rocks at the riverside!

Tongue planted firmly in cheek.

RedSoxFan
06-25-2009, 02:52 PM
We bought the front end loader and dryer from Sears a couple of years ago. I love them and we bought the platforms too. Yes, they are expensive; but my laundry room is on the second floor. I have had no problems with either machine.

VWL Mom
06-25-2009, 05:57 PM
I just bought the Maytag Elite pair 2 months ago and am very happy with it. Found the best deal at Home Depot online and received a rebate from Maytag and a rebate from the NJ for energy efficiency. HD delivery was great, I even called to comment. They set everything up and hauled the old ones away. As far as the electric or gas, my choice is electric. You will need to hire a plumber if you decide to go with gas and do not currently have a line to your laundry room.

luvdiznee
06-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Just back from window shopping, went to Home Depot, Sears, Best Buy, Lowes and a local appliance store in the area. I'm kind of leaning towards Sears, because the salesman, I feel was very honest with me in showing all the models by name and price and there is no charge for delivery or set up. And if I purchase the extended warranties, they actually send someone out to look over the machines. And plus I do have a Sears cc so I would get an extra % off. Home Depot, was comparable. But I did get a rude awakening as far as the price difference for wanting my RED. :thedolls: Yikes. So I may have to go with a plain white. At least it's not in a room we are trying to jazz up. Just in our sort of unfinished basement. ;)

Hull-onian
06-28-2009, 10:13 AM
We have had Whirlpool (top load) and dryer since 1991, eighteen years. Never (knock on wood) had a problem with either one. We also have an unfinished basement, however, we live in a flood zone, so we have them mounted on a cement platform, and it works great. If and when the time comes, (cause we are never moving from this house) I will get a new front loader with a dryer to match. Now we need a new fridge. Any suggestions, anyone?:confused: This must be our new consumer reports section, LOL.

Scott C
06-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Well, Evansville used to be the refrigerator capitol of the world. Whirlpool is all that is left here. They build their traditional freezer on top line here in Indiana. I know a couple of the R&D types out at the plant -- they don't have much good to say about the offshore types like LG and samsung as far as the quality of construction. I am on my second Whirlpool and have not had much trouble out of either of them--so I suppose they are a safe bet.

Thanks
Scott C

LauraF
06-29-2009, 02:30 PM
I love my Whirlpool, but I'd worry about those concrete blocks, as my Duet tends to wander across my concrete floor over the course of a few months. I can't imagine the problems I'd have if it actually fell!

But I love my washer, and hope to get the dryer eventually (but not too soon!) Almost all my appliances are Whirlpool or Kenmore, so both of those are brands I've had great experiences with.

The important things for me in shopping were size (they live in my pantry), capacity for the price, and brand/reliability.

magicofdisney
06-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Last year I got a matching pair of RED LG front loaders. I LOVE them. Seriously, I've had them for over a year now and I could still just sit and watch my clothes wash. I know it's silly, but those front loaders are just cool. The the red really jazzes up a boring laundry room (and in my case, windowless).

As for pedestals, we chose to go without and I don't miss them. The delivery guys laughed when they brought in the washer and commented they'd be back within a month with the pedestals. Guess they were wrong, because I'm quite content to save that extra $300-$400 dollars. Beside, I have shelves in my laundry room to store all my supplies. Plus, you can set many things right on top of the machines.

teambricker04
06-30-2009, 12:43 AM
We currently have Whirlpool Duets in the teal blue color. I love them. L O V E them. We moved into our house a year ago, and our water and electric bills are greatly decreased from the previous owners even with two more people than they had! They look great, even though I am the only one that see them, but they work even better than you would imagine. We use less detergent also, so we have already saved a ton of money by purchasing the top of the line.

Also, we had a set of GE front loaders in our previous house. They worked just fine, but the washer got stinkier than the Duet after prolonged use.

I would look at the Kenmores at Sears... that was our original intent, but they didn't have any in stock and we needed them PRONTO!

Good luck.

luvdiznee
07-02-2009, 06:49 AM
Last year I got a matching pair of RED LG front loaders. I LOVE them. Seriously, I've had them for over a year now and I could still just sit and watch my clothes wash. I know it's silly, but those front loaders are just cool. The the red really jazzes up a boring laundry room (and in my case, windowless).

As for pedestals, we chose to go without and I don't miss them. The delivery guys laughed when they brought in the washer and commented they'd be back within a month with the pedestals. Guess they were wrong, because I'm quite content to save that extra $300-$400 dollars. Beside, I have shelves in my laundry room to store all my supplies. Plus, you can set many things right on top of the machines.

That's exactly what I mean. Could make doing the laundry more exciting. But for me I would have to have the pedestals. I remember using these front loaders at the laundrymat once or twice and my back was breaking. Uhhh:(

LandFan
07-29-2009, 01:17 PM
We lucked out around Xmas time and got a great deal ($999 for the pair and 18 months no interest) from Best Buy - we got Frigidaire front loaders and no pedestals. I LOVE them! They are so energy and water efficient!

I don't miss the pedestals - I have them right on the floor and I just put a laundry basket in front of the opening and drag them right into it and out of it. Really no effort involved. I actually find it easier than hauling the wet clothes up and out of the washer and up and into the dryer.

One word of advice about front loader washers... Don't forget to dry out the rubber gasket/ring around the door... If you don't and you close the washer door, it can get musty smelling. We always just leave the washer door slightly ajar and/or dry out the underside of the ring (tissues and stuff can get caught there too).

OH, the only downside to front loaders is that you obviously can't add any additional laundry to the wash load once you start it :D That did take me a bit to get used to!

Good luck and have fun with them! I know I still love mine!

Missy_Mouses_Dad
07-30-2009, 05:52 PM
We just purchased a front loading washing. It is great, fraction of the water and detergent used. We do have to run it with "deodorant" at least once a month. Unlike a previous poster, we purchased the base unit and use it for storage for the detergent/bleach/etc. The place we purchased it had a minimal delivery charge, and they hooked it up. I would measure the area and location of the hose attachments to the sink. I had to purchase longer hoses at a hardware store.

MNNHFLTX
07-30-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm almost embarassed to admit this, but we've had our washer for about 6 years and our dryer for--ahem--20 years. Seriously--I bought it brand new when I was still single. I know that's kind of sounds sad, but to tell the truth it still works really well, so although we plan to get a new washer/dryer in the next few months, sometimes oldies are still goodies.