PDA

View Full Version : For Summer Travelers, what is your strategy?

Septbride2002
06-24-2009, 05:02 PM
We've always gone in the cooler months or in the off season - but we are currently planning a trip for June - which means HEAT. Now we go to Disney every year or every other year because we are DVC members. But the group we are going with will be experiencing Disney for the first time.

While I want to show them the best and greatest of Disney, I also know the heat is going to be a major factor.

I'm thinking up and at 'em early for the parks - leave by 11 or 12 - spend the rest of the day at the pool and then go back to the parks in the evenings - but will we be able to see all the Must Do's?

~Amanda

bruin1344
06-24-2009, 05:15 PM
I went in August last year and it was very hot and humid.

Going early and coming back later is a good strategy. Take advantage of EMH AM at a park but avoid that park if you dont utilize EMH. I found in my May and August trips that EMH PM is only worthwhile at MK. DHS & Epcot get too packed during EMH PM.

There is enough attractions at MK, Epcot, and DHS that keep you cool so I didnt care what time of day I was there.

The only times the heat bugged me were on the attractions with outdoor shows like Indiana Jones and Lights Motors Action. It was hot sitting in those seats. Also AK was kind of nuisance since its so big and not a lot of indoor/cool attractions compared to other parks.

Scott C
06-24-2009, 05:21 PM
My strategy is to do things with short or no lines in the afternoon. We tend to take advantage of evening EMH especially in the MK. I find that with the exception of AK, I don't feel the heat that much at WDW(and I am very prone to heat issues). You just have to plan accordingly. Don't stand in a line in mid afternoon. I spend most of my afternoons wondering from one air conditioned building to the next.

Thanks
Scott C

MNNHFLTX
06-24-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm not a huge fan of going back to the parks in the evening (unless it's to see the fireworks, etc.) So we always go to the parks at opening (EMH even better) and do all our "must do's" as early as possible. That leaves the afternoon for exploring some of the air-conditioned/shady attractions and then have an early supper. Then we go back to the resort and hang out there for the rest of the evening. :mickey:

DizneyRox
06-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Drink LOTS of water. Everything else is must easier when you're hydrated.

estein80
06-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Drink LOTS of water. Everything else is must easier when you're hydrated.

This is very true. Also, make use of the vendors and get yourself some ice as you go through the park. It made such a difference to have something like that to cool us off and hydrate us. The fact that it is free it is just a plus. :thumbsup:

Goofy Texan
06-24-2009, 09:46 PM
We've gone in May or June for all of our trips. There are advantages to going in the summer:

EMH morning and evening at a different park everyday (pulls the crowds away)
Longer hours
More frequent shows (two spectro's and two Fantasmics each night)
If it rains you may get wet, but you won't be wet AND cold

Our plan is to split things up. It's easy to get up early at the beginning of the trip so we hit each park once in the morning. We stay until AC or swimming sounds more fun than another attraction. Evenings are open. Maybe we'll go to a waterpark, DTD, etc. or hit a theme park as long as we're out before the late show and the crowd crush. The idea is to get enough rest and sleep so we can get up early the next morning without anyone getting angry.

After a morning at each park, we switch to nights. After sleeping late we take our time getting ready and then hit each park again except we'll choose between AK or DS. We'll do AK if they have an EMH night since those are so rare. We may start the afternoon/evening at one park and then finish at the EMH park. The plan is to hit the low line rides we missed on our morning and enjoy the nighttime shows. We stay as late as we want.

It's still hot in the evening, but you really should take advantage of touring without the sun blazing down on you. Thanks to the slower mornings and Tour Guide Mikes touring plans we always get to ride whatever we wanted.

Most people aren't fit enough to go from dawn to late night and not "hit the wall" by the second or third day. This plan keeps the "wall "away and everyone happy.

wdwfansince75
06-24-2009, 10:06 PM
We have almost always gone in late June or early July....And we do not miss any Must Do's...

I suggest morning EMH's....Park Hop to EPCOT or MK for afternoons, or back to hotel, to use the pool....Then, either back to the AM EMH park, if you don't have Park Hoppers, or off to the park of your choice for the evening....MK remains our favorite evening park, especially on non-EMH days.....

Agree that Lights, ect is very hot during the summer, but if you consider it a Must Do, Fast Pass it...keeps you out of the lines in the sun, and into shaded seats....Also agree that summer is a tough time to do Indy....and I would skip Backlot Tour completely....try to do TSMM at opening...get fast passes, then do the queue....for first timers, the queue is a great introduction to Disney's attention to detail...Then FP RnRC and ToT...At some point, also do Star Tours and the Muppet Movie....they are totally different than any experience at other parks...To see the Must Do's, avoid DHS on Star Wars Weekends....

Plan to do EPCOT on a non-EMH day....get a fast pass for Soaring, then , either ride Soaring without an FP, or head to Test Track....almost everything else at EPCOT can be done with relatively short lines on non-EMH days....and there are lots of places to get cool....Almost every visit, I stay in EPCOT for a full day...then ride the (cool) monorail, to join DW for dinner somewhere on the Monorail....Kona Cafe has become a favorite!

One of the advantages of June visits is that parks are open longer....and it stays light longer....DHS and AK are really daylight parks, IMHO....Although ToT after sunset is a Hoot....But we usually do MK, and sometimes, EPCOT in the evening....Have done Fantasmic, but felt it was a lot of waiting, and a slow exit, with a noisy and virtually plotless show in between....

Septbride2002
06-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks Everyone! I'll have to keep an eye on those EMH - we have only ever used them for MK in the mornings so we can get Fantasyland done and out of the way.

We tend to avoid them otherwise.

~Amanda

bwk99
06-25-2009, 12:29 PM
start drinking at least 70 ounces of water per day, 3 days before you go.. It takes 72 hours to get your body completely hydrated. If you aren't used to that type of heat, or if you don't drink much water typically. Then you need to start drinking the water a few days before you head to Florida..

#1donaldfan
06-25-2009, 12:46 PM
your pin point accurate in the way we do our June visits, and it's worked for years.....

parks early (not the one with EMH, too busy)
back to resort about 1ish....swim and nap (nap optional, DW and DD does those)
do early dinner ressies about 4 / 5ish
then find a park and finish out the night....

...it's just that easy !!

Mom2princesses
06-25-2009, 02:08 PM
We just got back from WDW this week. We had record heat for June. I think you are spot on with your idea. We have also gone in August.

We hit the parks early. Leave at 1 the latest you'll just know when it is time to leave believe me! We go back and go swimming and take a nap if needed then go back for dinner and hit a park. This has worked for us as well. I totally agree with the poster before me. It has worked for us. You see lots of people leaving as you head back to the park and they are totally drained. Take a break during the hottest part of the day and you'll keep your energy longer.

Have fun even with the unbearable heat we had a great time and did all the must do's. We even did some more than once.

Babe the Blue Ox
06-25-2009, 05:59 PM
We tend to zig when everyone else zags. We try to let the kids sleep in a little bit and not drag them out of bed for the rope drop.

We always stay until closing time and find the parks nearly empty after dark as most head out early because they got there so early.

We pick up FastPasses as often as allowable, and then use them during the late afternoon when the lines are really long and it's really hot. Most people don't know that those things don't expire until the end of the day.

If there's two shows or two parades, go to the later one. The crowd is always smaller. For parades, there are always fewer people waiting at the end of the route than at the beginning.

If you want to meet the characters, go during the first parade time. The lines are always really short.

You can literally save several hours per day, ride as many rides as you want with very little wait time, and stay out of the extreme heat as much as possible if you have a good plan.

c&d
06-26-2009, 09:25 AM
We went in August one year and we spent plenty of time at the resort in the pool. We also spent time at the water parks.

Because we had been several times before we would go to the parks late in the day or early evening if they had EMH hours.

We also took it slow. We strolled thru the parks instead of walking quickly from ride to ride.

We also knew it was going to be hot so we planned for it. Not being in the parks in mid day, taking it slowly, drinking lots of water.

Septbride2002
06-26-2009, 02:51 PM
We tend to zig when everyone else zags. We try to let the kids sleep in a little bit and not drag them out of bed for the rope drop.

We always stay until closing time and find the parks nearly empty after dark as most head out early because they got there so early.

We pick up FastPasses as often as allowable, and then use them during the late afternoon when the lines are really long and it's really hot. Most people don't know that those things don't expire until the end of the day.

If there's two shows or two parades, go to the later one. The crowd is always smaller. For parades, there are always fewer people waiting at the end of the route than at the beginning.

If you want to meet the characters, go during the first parade time. The lines are always really short.

You can literally save several hours per day, ride as many rides as you want with very little wait time, and stay out of the extreme heat as much as possible if you have a good plan.

Don't they expire within the hour that they become usable? I don't think they are good until the end of the day.

~Amanda

Babe the Blue Ox
06-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Don't they expire within the hour that they become usable? I don't think they are good until the end of the day.

Fastpasses can be used anytime after start of the return window until close of business that day. They do not have to be used within the one hour time that is stamped on them.

This practice has been in place since the system opened 10 years ago.

Any attendant at any attraction will tell you that this is true and is not some kind of secret.

One of the popular guide books even refers to "FastPass Poker", the art of collecting several different sets of passes throughout the morning and then using them later during the peak afternoon and early evening hours.

One tip: don't wait until the last hour of the day to use your passes. The parks are generally very slow by then and stand by waiting is minimal. It almost like wasting the passes if you use them very late in the day.

DVC2004
06-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Drink lots of water and take a break in the afternoons to cool down at your room or swim. Go back to the parks in the evening and take advantage of evening extra magic hours when you can.

PirateLover
06-27-2009, 08:27 PM
We just got back from our trip and your strategy is similar to what we did. You must be at the parks for opening if you want to get a lot done in a relatively short period of time, the Studios especially since Toy Story Mania is the hot new ride (Although by next year, it will be the rehabbed Space Mountain). Drinking lots of water is key for those 90+ degree days. The temperature felt like 110 degrees on some days this trip and we felt like we were melting but we drank as much water as possible and utilized air conditioning and fastpass. The afternoon dip in the pool was great for refreshing the blood. As far as EMH goes, we did not have too much luck going to EMH parks. The only time it worked out was when we stayed at the MK until 1am! If you plan to do any water parks, definitely get there for opening.

Goofy4TheWorld
06-27-2009, 10:23 PM
My two trips as an adult were in March and in June. In March I was cold in the morning, hot in the afternoon, and then cold at night. I was never miserable in June, even though I am a cry baby when it comes to sun/heat exposure at home. I much prefer June over March at WDW.

I drank LOTS of water, but don't forget to consume plenty of Mickey Bars:mickey:

EpcotFan182
06-29-2009, 09:16 PM
I've only gone in the summer months, it can get very hot at times.

My biggest tip is to go to the parks early - rope drop if you can. I like to go early then leave around 1:00

Always wear a cap, it will definately help keep you cool and absorb some of that sweat from your forehead

Also, just try to stay hydrated, stop and buy drinks, etc

I'm sure you will have a great time :mickey:

gaffz70
06-30-2009, 11:35 AM
We only go in the summer, so we've gotten used to it..
use EMH and enjoy the pool in the afternoon
Bring fan misters(from home) - good for a little cool and keeps the kids distracted
Don't know if this is technically allowed, but my kids can never finish the huge drinks they get at meals, so I fill up the sports bottles w/ them

My husband swears by under armour clothes - he sweats something aweful

We wear crocs or comfortable flip flops so that if there's water being sprayed somewhere we walk right through and then we don't feel gross in wet socks

joonyer
06-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Go to parks early in the a.m.,

Drink plenty of water,

Take a mid-day break,

Go for a cool swim sometime every day,

Go back to parks later and stay after dark when its cooler,

Take advantage of indoor attractions every so often to get a break from the heat & sun,

and HAVE A GREAT WDW vacation!

:thumbsup:

KAJUNKING
06-30-2009, 02:09 PM
we usually go the first week in sept and its pretty hot but being from south Louisiana we are kind of use to it, also with so many air conditioned attractions its pretty easy to get out of the heat for a while, 15 mins in philharmagic can make you feel like a brand new person, ak is the only park that is really tough imho

Daddy Mouse
07-02-2009, 11:51 AM
start drinking at least 70 ounces of water per day, 3 days before you go.. It takes 72 hours to get your body completely hydrated. If you aren't used to that type of heat, or if you don't drink much water typically. Then you need to start drinking the water a few days before you head to Florida..

I'm not sure where you get your information but water is very important and 80 0z. per day works for a 160 lb person and one should drink more or less based upon activity etc... Water passes quickly into the blood stream from the stomach to keep the body hydrated.

Mousemates
07-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Our summer strategy is pretty standard.

1. Get there for park openings and do morning EMH's.

2. Leave the parks during the hottest part of the day say 1:00 - 4:00 and return to the resort for a swim or a nap.

3. Drink plenty of water

4. Take advantage of evening EMH's, especially if they are exceedingly late ones (i.e. MK open well after midnight)...it will be very pleasant outside andif you have taken the mid afternoon siesta suggested in item 2 you will have the energy and stamina needed to do it.