PDA

View Full Version : Ladies, help fight that time of the month cravings!

Tinkerbella
06-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi Ladies!

Six weeks ago I joined an all women's exercise group called 'Fit Chix Bootcamp'. I'm on my last week and have already signed up for another six weeks! I'm having so much fun! :thumbsup:

Anyway, we're allowed 1,600 calories a day in four meals. I've been very good and sticking to this religiously for the past five weeks. However, now that that time of the month has come around I'm finding that 1,600 calories doesn't feel very filling at all! :(

I've bulked up on my fiber through apples, beans, ezekiel bread, etc but am STILL hungry! I was wondering if anybody had any tips, suggestions, advice? Is it ok to eat more?

Thanks gals!

murphy1
06-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Maybe tomato or vegetable juice, that helps me. I am a big chocolate hound, so it gets worse about that time for me, don't totally deny yourself. That sounds like a great program, you need the calories since you are burning them a great deal more than normal and you are probably gaining more muscle, too. Two other good tricks, eat a quick snack and then give it 20 minutes, your stomach might say it's okay and also water is great, b/c it will fill your stomach more, I like the flavored waters, too.

Tinkerbella
06-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I'm trying to not deny myself but it's hard when I see the muscles I'm getting. But I also don't want to crash and have a bad day, lol. It's just one of those fine balancing acts isn't it? Oh the joys of womanhood huh?

Thanks!

SBETigg
06-24-2009, 05:07 PM
I like sugar free jello. It's sweet and lo-cal, I think less than ten calories. Single bars of freezer fudge pops work great too- about 40 calories. And if you have about 100 calories to spare, the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches are good.

ElenitaB
06-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Water is your friend! Drink lots of it. Somewhere I read that a lot of the time when we're hungry, we're actually thirsty.

And I second Sherri's vote for the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. They also have a new "chocolate truffle" bar which is very, very good. :tasty:

Another really low cal chocolately-treat is to make your own "mousse" with unflavored gelatin and a reduced cal packet of hot cocoa (some are all of 35 cal): you dissolve the gelatin and the cocoa in 1/2 cup of hot water in the blender, and then add 4-6 ice cubes and blitz away.

Tinkerbella
06-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks guys! Ellen, that sounds so delicious! I'm going to have to get some gelatin and give that a go...I LOVE chocolate!

murphy1
06-25-2009, 11:43 AM
I sometimes drink a Slimfast shake that I make with their powder if I get a bad choc. craving. I don't need to lose weight, but I don't have a thyroid anymore and hate to skip meals, so it helps (I use lowfat milk, ice and the Choc. Royale powder and blend it). I don't like the shakes in the can.

Dulcee
06-25-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm a big fan of popcorn around that time of month, you can eat large quantities for small numbers and its very filling. If you make it fresh in a pot at home or have a nifty microwave air popper it has less then 90 calories a cup (just watch the salt) and it counts as a whole grain!

Tinkermom
06-25-2009, 08:48 PM
I've been doing Jillian Michael's (Biggest Loser) "30 day shred" and watching what I eat. I have some of those small individually wrapped Dove dark chocolates that I treat myself with on occasion especially during "that time". I allow myself 2 of them and just let it melt in my mouth. It is just enough and helps me with the chocolate cravings!

teambricker04
06-26-2009, 04:22 PM
I vote for the skinny cow ice cream treats! I also like the weight watchers fudge bars, fiber one granola bars, or sugar free jello pudding.

I am glad it is going well for you!!!

Tinkerbella
06-26-2009, 08:19 PM
I knew this would be the right place to come for tasty recipes! Great ideas ladies! Can't wait to try some of these!