PDA

View Full Version : Crowds / Heat / Baby

Williams5
06-24-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm a first time poster so I apologize if this is in the wrong place, but I was curious if anyone could offer any advice.

We've been to WDW 5 times since 2000 and we were actually in The Lion King show when 9/11 happened and they shut down the parks. Unfortunately due to school and T-Ball we've had to schedule our trip from 7/25 to 8/1 which is crowded and hot.

Anyways I read about the crowd issues due to newbies (I'm no newbie, but not near the knowledge some of you have) so we've planned out our trip to avoid the parks on EMH days (except I think we are planning an Epcot Morning on a day with an Epcot night EMH).

We have a character meal scheduled almost everyday because I'm expecting massive crowds and massive heat and hopefully the "meal" can offset some of the madness.

We also have a baby going - do they still have the baby stations in each park? I know that they have one in MK and Epcot - don't recall one in AK or Studios.

Also do they still have the rent by week stroller options?

We are staying in AKL - never been in a deluxe level before (stayed CB, and all 4 value sites). Planning to get up early - leave parks at lunchtime and return to parks for dinner and night.

Any advice would make my day. Thank you.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-24-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm a first time poster so I apologize if this is in the wrong place, but I was curious if anyone could offer any advice.

We've been to WDW 5 times since 2000 and we were actually in The Lion King show when 9/11 happened and they shut down the parks. Unfortunately due to school and T-Ball we've had to schedule our trip from 7/25 to 8/1 which is crowded and hot.

Anyways I read about the crowd issues due to newbies (I'm no newbie, but not near the knowledge some of you have) so we've planned out our trip to avoid the parks on EMH days (except I think we are planning an Epcot Morning on a day with an Epcot night EMH).

We have a character meal scheduled almost everyday because I'm expecting massive crowds and massive heat and hopefully the "meal" can offset some of the madness.

We also have a baby going - do they still have the baby stations in each park? I know that they have one in MK and Epcot - don't recall one in AK or Studios.

Also do they still have the rent by week stroller options?

We are staying in AKL - never been in a deluxe level before (stayed CB, and all 4 value sites). Planning to get up early - leave parks at lunchtime and return to parks for dinner and night.

Any advice would make my day. Thank you.

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you here!
Of course I zeroed in on the "heat" and "baby" words....Sounds like you are doing several things right to try to avoid the heat. If you're bringing your own stroller, fine, but if you're renting one (yes--they're still doing "length of stay" rental, I believe), please bring something soft and of cool fabric to put baby on, and to cover up the little feet and toes when it's naptime. You might want to get a clipon stroller fan (several on internet), and a mister for your T-ball player! You'll love AKL--beautiful! Have fun planning, and ask lots of questions!:wave:

Scott C
06-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Yes, I understand your situation -- it does not get any better either--We are going in two weeks--it is the only week that I, DW, DS17 and DS19 could align our schedules.

Yes, there are Baby stations at all 4 parks. I just listened to a podcast a couple of weeks ago describing them. It did not sound like the one at the studios was up to par. And the one at epcot sounded the best.

Good Luck and try to stay cool-but I can't think that it would be too much worse that here in Indiana this week.

What town are you from??

Thanks
Scott C

chefmickey3
06-24-2009, 01:16 PM
We have taken a baby or toddler with us to Disney every year since 2002. Finally this year my youngest is 3 AND 40"! You have a great plan. Although my kids are always up early so we do take advantage of the EMH in the morning and have always been able to do most of the park (AK and DHS, esp.) before the crowds get bad. We also try to do Fantasyland on and EMH day because no one goes there first. We even rode Pooh with Tigger one year!

The baby care centers are wonderful, air-conditioned respites. There are things for the older kids to do as well. A few toys, coloring and Disney movies. One year was very rainy every afternoon and we found ourselves hanging out in the EPCOT center to avoid the rain. The CMs are wonderful and welcoming. There are quiet rooms to nurse and wonderful changing tables (much better than the bathrooms!)

My boys have never had a problem traveling in the summer. We have always brought our own stroller for comfort and to save money. It varies depending on their size and needs - we have done double and sit/stand as well as small umbrellas. I don't think the Disney ones look comfortable and you still have to get the child from the resort to the park to rent a stroller. Also, if you are flying it is nice to have your own stroller to get through the airport. You check it at the gate and then it comes back out at the gate. Something to consider...

WishingStar2006
06-24-2009, 02:15 PM
If your baby is a baby (under say 14-15 months) I don't think the WDW strollers are a good idea. They don't look comfortable (hard plastic) and a little one could really flop around in there. I know it's a hassle to bring your stroller from home but you would probably be happy that you did!!

Have a great time! Your daily plan of morning EMH and mid day breaks is exactly what you need to do in the summer!!!

Williams5
06-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Yes, we are taking stroller for the 10 month old and renting a double for the other 2 (8 & 5) to use as needed.

Thanks for all the responses.

Daisy'sMom
06-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Hello William, I hope you enjoy your trip to Disney. Just remember to bring lots of patience. Have fun. :mickey:

estein80
06-24-2009, 04:24 PM
I highly recommend taking some time with the 10 month old in the Baby Care Centers. We were there is may with my then 10 mo old and it was a great way to cool off. I would also suggest bringing a spray bottle or frozen/wet wash cloths as by DD got very hot and needed something to cool her off.

I would suggest trying to get to the parks early, if possible, and heading back to the hotel for naps/swimming/cool down time. I know this really helped with my little one.

Take it easy and have a great time!

Imagineer1981
06-25-2009, 11:17 AM
These are great tips since I will be bringing my baby boy (he'll be 18months when we go). We are trying to plan ahead as much as possible. We are bringing our own stroller, fans, sunscreen, things to cover his legs and feet, etc. You can never be too prepared