PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it??????????

disneykat
06-21-2009, 10:51 PM
We have stayed at several value hotels and don't really care for them. We tried CSR and it was fine. We are currently planning a September trip and I'm trying to decide between POFQ and AKL. We're not planning to get water park tickets this time thus we'll be spending more time at the resort. We're a family of 4. . . myself, DH, DS (13) AND DD
(10). Is it worth it to pay the extra for AKL??? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

markyv
06-21-2009, 11:01 PM
If you have the money and plan on spending time at the resort, then I would say yes. We have stayed at deluxe property several times and wish we could stay there more often if money would allow. You will really enjoy your stay should you choose to stay at AKL. However, let me also recommend Swan and Dolphin. They are not Disney operated, but are first class all the way. If you are a teacher, nurse, or military, I believe they offer some pretty nice discounts. Their location is second to none with walking access to Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach, Fantasia Gardens mini golf and Epcot. You can also catch a boat to DHS from the dock at the swan.

DizneyRox
06-22-2009, 12:04 AM
AKL is in my opinion anyway, THE best resort on property. It's my first choice whenever we go to WDW. I've never taken issue with the transportation, but others say it's not so good.

You've got two of the best table service locations on property right there, the best gift shop, and the resort just has tons of activities going day and night. For someone spending significant time at the resort, I think you'll be hard pressed to find more activities to do without going elsewhere.

CAS
06-22-2009, 01:01 AM
That really depends on the deal you can get. During peak times for us it's just not worth the premium. Every night puts a huge dent in the paycheck. :eek:

But non-peak prices I think are worth it if you're going to be spending time at the resort. In my opinion the food and shops are the best here (minus the obvious Boardwalk of course).

My folks, on the other hand, are perfectly happy at the moderates every year since they spend about enough time in the hotel to sleep...and that's it. They're in the parks from open to close. We prefer to nap, have drinks, let the little ones play in the pool, etc. :cloud9:

deedeebee
06-22-2009, 04:31 AM
We really love POR and wouldn't think about going any where else. The resort is our home away from home, the landscaping is awesome, the pools are great, the food court is very good and the piano player , Bob Jackson, is outstanding. We are going in 8 days and will miss POR but my parents are taking us to the Poly club level. I guess we'll survive.:thumbsup:

pox24
06-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Yes, every penny!:thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
06-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Yes, every penny!:thumbsup:

Absolutely. Have stayed both places and would choose AK in a heartbeat. Beautiful resort.

Disney Doll
06-22-2009, 10:55 AM
I love CSR resort and it is currently my resort of choice. For me the deluxe resorts are just too expensive and since I have absolutely no complaints about CSR I just can find a reason to splurge for a deluxe. That said, we are trying AKL for the 1st time in Sept when we go with my parents who are DVC members. We've visited the resort before and it is very nice, but there's no way I would do it if I were paying out of pocket.

DisneyHoneymooners
06-22-2009, 12:11 PM
I think if you're going to be spending more time at a resort you won"t be disappointed with AKL.
They have lobby tours and poolside activities for the kids where they can make masks and learn about the animals. Plus there's tons of places to watch the animals.

caryrae
06-22-2009, 03:43 PM
We are going the end of Sept and had a hard time deciding where to stay and finally decided to do a splut stay, 4 nights at CSR and 4 at AKL. We have only stayed at POP and ASMovies the rest of our visits were off property, so we are really excited.

Giselle
06-22-2009, 03:55 PM
AKL has nice atmosphere but its big and has not as good bus transportation. Also I like their restaurants. POFQ is small, has a better pool, better bus transport, outdoor entry to rooms. I like AKL, DH and DD like POFQ. Just depends on whats important to you. Restaurants or pool? Shorter rides to parks or animals outside room? Saving money or unique atmosphere?

thejens
06-22-2009, 10:51 PM
I adore AKL and feel like the deluxe resorts are worth it to me. Whether it is worth it is a very subjective opinion, but I love this resort. One way to save money is to do a standard room. There are many areas to view animals outside of room and I don't like to spend too much time in my room. I enjoy using the common viewing areas even more. Sometimes there are CMs from Africa to answer your questions.

disneykat
06-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks for all of the input! I went ahead and booked AKL. I've never stayed at a Deluxe resort so I'm really excited!!!! :mickey: Just 74 more days!

mickeys_princess_mom
06-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks for all of the input! I went ahead and booked AKL. I've never stayed at a Deluxe resort so I'm really excited!!!! :mickey: Just 74 more days!

I'm excited to read this! You'll love it!:simba: