PDA

View Full Version : English/Poetry Help

Jeri Lynn
06-20-2009, 10:59 AM
I am helping my son do a SOAPTone for The Edwin Arlington Robinson poem called Richard Corey.

I have not analyzed a poem for 30 years and am having trouble on the Audience and the Subject of the poem.

Could anyone help me?

This is the poem:

Whenever Richard Corey went down town,
We the people on the pavement looked at him;
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favorored and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good Morning" and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich - yes richer than a king,
And admirably schooled in every grace,
In fine, we thought he was everythng
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat and cursed the bread;
And Richard Corey , one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

I've been able to figure out the Speaker, Occassion, Purpose, Tone and Theme, but am unsure about the Audience and Subject.

Thanks for any help!!!

andreallybadeggs
06-20-2009, 11:58 AM
This is not my area of expertise but I would guess the audience might be anyone who is unsatisfied with one's own life. Could certainly relate to people who covet riches and fame and assume that both of those things guarantee happiness. Check out the Simon and Garfunkel song on Sounds of Silence.

Boojum
06-20-2009, 12:07 PM
I won't say I like this poem, but I have taught it on several occasions. I like to use it on the first day of school, because it has "shock" value and gets attention.

The audience, I believe, is anyone who would envy Richard's life (and hate their own) without realizing that wealth doesn't insulate you from unhappiness.

The subject would probably be about the same: don't assume that money buys happiness.

This is my opinion, anyway. I don't want to be responsible for your son's grade!! :secret:

Tink2002
06-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Again, the teacher may have different ideas (don't you just hate how subjective some subjects can be? lol) but I would agree with previous posters on the audience. I believe the subject would also be something along the lines of "money can't buy happiness."

Jeri Lynn
06-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks folks. I'm having a tough time helping him. I think I know what the teacher is looking for but then I doubt myself.

Now I have to help with inferences and assertions of Captain Ahab from Moby Dick. I think I know what it means but what if I am wrong!!

Being out of school almost 30 years is not a big help, all the different terms have changed!!