PDA

View Full Version : Would Disney 3D glasses work in parks?

chefmickey3
06-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Just saw Up in 3D (amazing experience!). My question is would the 3D glasses work on the 3D attrationss like TSM or Mickey's Philharmagic? The glasses they gave us (in plastic wrapping) were so much more comfortable - we forgot we had them on and my 3 year old kept them on! Thought it was worth asking.

brownie
06-19-2009, 04:36 PM
They might.

DZNYGUY
06-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Ah yes, we have all thought this to ourselves while watching extremely high quality Disney 3D for such films such as up...unfortunately my understanding is this will NOT work and here is why...

Films like UP and Meet The Robinsons in Disney 3D rely on polarizing technology to make the 3D effect work. This is extremely high quality (as we all know) and extremely expensive!

Unfortunately, the 3D films in the parks rely on separation of images which is a different technology alltogether.

As nice as it would be to use the nicer glasses, we have to stick with the pink-purple one size fits all glasses that are handed out at the parks...

Imagineer1981
06-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Ah yes, we have all thought this to ourselves while watching extremely high quality Disney 3D for such films such as up...unfortunately my understanding is this will NOT work and here is why...

Films like UP and Meet The Robinsons in Disney 3D rely on polarizing technology to make the 3D effect work. This is extremely high quality (as we all know) and extremely expensive!

Unfortunately, the 3D films in the parks rely on separation of images which is a different technology alltogether.

As nice as it would be to use the nicer glasses, we have to stick with the pink-purple one size fits all glasses that are handed out at the parks...

Hey they could be yellow ones or even Bug eyes!!!

Mufasa
06-19-2009, 10:10 PM

Your explanation is close- Technically, the technology at use isn't really that different but they are not compatible. At the heart of both the Real D system (of which "most" Disney Digital 3D presentations fall into this category) and the systems at the theme park they use polarization for 3D.

With Real D installations, they use circularly polarized glasses- and there are two primary methods to present the image.

If it's a DLP projector, they use a electronic filter (called a Z-screen) that shifts the polarization and alternate between left and right eye images (six times per frame) to allow for a single projector to project both the left and right eye image.

Sony 4K systems can actually use a single chip to display both the left and right eye 2K image simultaneously (and they use a two lens system with appropriate circular polarizers) then to split the image into left and right eye images and still be considered to use the Real D technology.

In the theme parks- with film based projection there are often two projectors- one displaying a left eye image and the other displaying the right eye image and the polarizing filters are linear filters mounted at opposing 45 degree angles.

With a circular polarizer you can tilt your head and the 3D isn't affected, while if you're not quite lined up with a linear polarizing filter the image completely blacks out.

There's also a Dolby 3D system (of which you can see some Disney Digital 3D presentations in some cities) which is slightly different. It uses color-filtering rather than polarizing to separate the left and right eye images (you don't get to keep these glasses either). In front of the projector is a spinning wheel separated into two slightly different versions of red, green and blue primary colors for each eye which are then filtered out by the lenses on the glasses.

Real D requires a special, silver screen to help make up for the loss in brightness from using the polarization filters while the Dolby system can use a regular projection screen (but the glasses are more expensive so you don't get to keep those). With either system, the films have to be slightly adjusted for color-correction and brightness.

At the Cannes film festival they actually used a different system for the 3D projection of Up called XpanD which uses active LCD shutter glasses (each pair of glasses has a receiver that syncs the alternating projected image to each eye with the projector)

tjstrike
06-20-2009, 03:36 AM
Your explanation is close- Technically, the technology at use isn't really that different but they are not compatible. At the heart of both the Real D system (of which "most" Disney Digital 3D presentations fall into this category) and the systems at the theme park they use polarization for 3D.

With Real D installations, they use circularly polarized glasses- and there are two primary methods to present the image.

If it's a DLP projector, they use a electronic filter (called a Z-screen) that shifts the polarization and alternate between left and right eye images (six times per frame) to allow for a single projector to project both the left and right eye image.

Sony 4K systems can actually use a single chip to display both the left and right eye 2K image simultaneously (and they use a two lens system with appropriate circular polarizers) then to split the image into left and right eye images and still be considered to use the Real D technology.

In the theme parks- with film based projection there are often two projectors- one displaying a left eye image and the other displaying the right eye image and the polarizing filters are linear filters mounted at opposing 45 degree angles.

With a circular polarizer you can tilt your head and the 3D isn't affected, while if you're not quite lined up with a linear polarizing filter the image completely blacks out.

There's also a Dolby 3D system (of which you can see some Disney Digital 3D presentations in some cities) which is slightly different. It uses color-filtering rather than polarizing to separate the left and right eye images (you don't get to keep these glasses either). In front of the projector is a spinning wheel separated into two slightly different versions of red, green and blue primary colors for each eye which are then filtered out by the lenses on the glasses.

Real D requires a special, silver screen to help make up for the loss in brightness from using the polarization filters while the Dolby system can use a regular projection screen (but the glasses are more expensive so you don't get to keep those). With either system, the films have to be slightly adjusted for color-correction and brightness.

At the Cannes film festival they actually used a different system for the 3D projection of Up called XpanD which uses active LCD shutter glasses (each pair of glasses has a receiver that syncs the alternating projected image to each eye with the projector)

What you're trying to say is no ?

chefmickey3
06-20-2009, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the info...I thought they wouldn't work but the explanation is great. They did not make us give them back but had a bin for voluntary recyclying. It was a Disney RealD 3D. They charge more than a regular movie ($11 per child for a matinee, $12 per adult!) so I kept our 5 pairs of glasses. Even if we can't use them in Disney, cool souvenir.

CaptSmee
06-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the info...I thought they wouldn't work but the explanation is great. They did not make us give them back but had a bin for voluntary recyclying. It was a Disney RealD 3D. They charge more than a regular movie ($11 per child for a matinee, $12 per adult!) so I kept our 5 pairs of glasses. Even if we can't use them in Disney, cool souvenir.

I always keep my Real 3D glasses in hopes one day I will be abl to use them at home...ya never know!

BIGDOG
06-20-2009, 11:34 PM
We walked out of bugs life our last trip and unknown my wife and I my youngest still had his glasses on. A little ways down the path way, a cast member ran up to him and ripped them off his head(he was actually fighting the little guy of 4 yrs) saying those need to be left at the ride. I was shocked at his action and he started babbling about Disney property and they are bad for your eyes in the sun and so on. I tried to tell him we did not notice and he was very rude to us. I took it better then my wife she complained at customer service gave his name and stuff. We were given all free 1 day passes and all got a set of glasses and my 2 youngest were given a lanyard full of pins of the neck of 2 of the managers. We also recieved a nice hand written letter about a week or so later with a apology from the customer service manager with his names and so on for future use. I thought that was pretty cool of them, I wonder if that guy is still sweeping up animal kingdom or not?

Kathy Jetson
06-21-2009, 02:08 AM
I would have done just what your wife did and complain no one gets away with making my child feel bad for something he didn't even know was wrong. I think it was great the way they made it up to you it seems they really went the distance. I bet the cm has been picking up poo for awhile now.

DZNYGUY
06-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Well done Mufasa! I was trying to go off what I knew from the top of my head but your description was very detailed and accurate.

Thanks!