PDA

View Full Version : Expedition Everest Yeti - Probably been covered

BrerFred12
06-19-2009, 02:25 PM
But since I just got back last weekend, the Yeti is still in the shadows, obviously not working. I tried to google search "Yeti" "repair" "Disney" and didn't find anything recent.

That Yeti coming to grab you was AWESOME and I am bummed to see it not working. Any news from the inside????

GothMickey
06-19-2009, 03:44 PM
No refurb coming to fix the yeti. You will continue to see him in the strobe lights. Just call him Disco Yeti.

Disney does not want to shut the most popular ride in AK down for the lenght of time it would take to fix the yeti.

PixieMagic
06-19-2009, 03:50 PM
This is the first I've heard of this and I'm really disappointed! My family will be riding this for the first time and this completely changes the ride!!! :(

tazlikesrobots
06-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Bummer :( I was looking forward to seeing the Yedi in action in a couple of weeks....

joonyer
06-19-2009, 03:59 PM
There has been a long intercotee discussion about this on this thread here:

http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=153131&highlight=Yeti+Repair

estein80
06-19-2009, 04:07 PM
This is the first I've heard of this and I'm really disappointed! My family will be riding this for the first time and this completely changes the ride!!! :(

If this is your first time riding EE, I don't think it will make that big of an impact. My family just went on EE for the first time in March and the Yeti wasn't working. Having never been on it with a working Yeti, it didn't phase us at all. We all had a great time and though the ride was a lot of fun.

TheRustyScupper
06-19-2009, 04:24 PM
1) Poor engineering design.
2) This is going to be tough to fix, as it requires a tear-down.
3) So, do't look for it to be done soon.
4) No one wants to close EE for weeks.
5) Somebody didn't know how to read engineering formulae.

grumpyguy
06-19-2009, 04:29 PM
yup,it's been covered...
however,it doesn't affect how great the coaster portion of the attraction is,it just stinks "knowing" something isn't quite right.
when working completely ee is a great ride!!

DizneyRox
06-19-2009, 04:45 PM
1) Poor engineering design.

Engineering or Imagineering?

crltkcagle
06-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Hopefully they will fix it eventually. Maybe after Space Mountain opens back up.

Imagineer1981
06-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Do you know how many people ride EE, even back when he was in A mode, and say "what Yeti ?, the cartoon shadow guy?"...so many people used to miss him anyway, I bet plenty don't know the difference between A and B modes

garthbarth1
06-19-2009, 05:41 PM
I have ridden it in Sept 2007 and 2008-I saw a Yeti right before the end of the ride with his arm in the air...but dont EVER remember him moving towards me in any way...so im not sure if I saw him working correctly or not? I guess I am one of those that dont know the difference between whats supposed to be working, and if it was working, or not working:confused:

Snow's Mom
06-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Doesn't bother me. I always close my eyes anyway!:scared:

tcswife
06-20-2009, 01:19 AM
if you have never seen him(Yeti) in motion, you will not know the difference!!! Done both and almost could not tell!!!!

Gregandmel
06-20-2009, 08:26 AM
We were there last October and rode it for the 1st time and LOVED It!!! We were able to ride it 3 or 4 times during our trip. I didn't even realize something wasn't working until I read the thread later on. If you've never experienced the Yeti coming down to grab you, you won't miss it and you'll still love the ride! I'm excited to try it out when it DOES get fixed though - whenever that might be. Enjoy!!

DizneyFreak2002
06-20-2009, 11:55 AM
if you have never seen him(Yeti) in motion, you will not know the difference!!! Done both and almost could not tell!!!!

I have seen both... I think there is a difference... The regular guest won't even know though, and this is what WDW management banks on... There are a few plans in place on how to fix the yeti... It has come down to if and when they will fix him... BY the way, one plan calls for the yeti being fixed WITHOUT shutting the ride down completely for several weeks...

LoriMistress
06-20-2009, 06:21 PM
I find it ironic that WDW has the most expensive AA but it never works. On another WDW board there's a thread dedicated to EE for daily updates on which status the Yeti is working. Thank god, when DH and I went back in '07 it was in A Mode, and B 1 Mode.

DizneyFreak2002
06-20-2009, 06:30 PM
I find it ironic that WDW has the most expensive AA but it never works. On another WDW board there's a thread dedicated to EE for daily updates on which status the Yeti is working. Thank god, when DH and I went back in '07 it was in A Mode, and B 1 Mode.

I believe the yeti wasn't built by WDI... I think it was outsourced... As we know, outsourcing doesn't work.. :bang: And they want to outsource WDI even more... Bye WDI as we know it..

jaredkari
06-20-2009, 06:41 PM
The Yeti in A mode is way cooler. It is still a great ride but you literally feel like that thing is going to grab you as you fly by. I was really disappointed this last January when I rode it and it was down. But like others have said it is a difficult repair to do and probably won't happen any time soon. :confused:

johnO
06-20-2009, 07:49 PM
What is the time frame here? Exactly how long has it been down?

DizneyFreak2002
06-20-2009, 09:51 PM
What is the time frame here? Exactly how long has it been down?

It has been in B mode for at least a year... And before then, A mode was spotty... The yeti isn't down for repairs, just not working the way he was meant to..

garthbarth1
06-21-2009, 10:17 PM
So, since I dont think I have ever seen it in working mode...does the YETIs arm actually Swoop down-moving towards you? Is his arm only about three feet from your head or so-like he could practically touch you?? If this is the case, then I know I have never seen that!

#1donaldfan
06-22-2009, 12:22 PM
...we rode it when it was only a month old and thought it was GREAT....we've rode every year since and it remains GREAT....maybe not the same, maybe not a come at you, grab you outta the train, but it's still WAY COOL !!!! ...we just got back and he does seem smaller too ?? but the lights flashing seem to make him "appear" to be moving toward you......

.....no matter how you slice n dice it, it's a great ride.....:mickey:

GothMickey
06-22-2009, 12:40 PM
So, since I dont think I have ever seen it in working mode...does the YETIs arm actually Swoop down-moving towards you? Is his arm only about three feet from your head or so-like he could practically touch you?? If this is the case, then I know I have never seen that!

Yeit's arm used to sweep at you. Since it has been in B mode, the arm no longer sweeps.

GothMickey
06-22-2009, 12:41 PM
...we rode it when it was only a month old and thought it was GREAT....we've rode every year since and it remains GREAT....maybe not the same, maybe not a come at you, grab you outta the train, but it's still WAY COOL !!!! ...we just got back and he does seem smaller too ?? but the lights flashing seem to make him "appear" to be moving toward you......

.....no matter how you slice n dice it, it's a great ride.....:mickey:

It is still a great ride. If you only knew all the effects that aren't working though, you'd be shocked.

ayeckley
06-22-2009, 01:29 PM
5) Somebody didn't know how to read engineering formulae.

Probably meant to be a joke, but that's a VAST oversimplification. Even with the best people, tools and processes, these things will sometimes happen when something new is attempted.

In reality, it was most likely the cumulative effect of a series of small bad decisions, made by well-intentioned people who had competing interests. Even if all the individuals are competent, sometimes the group as a whole isn't.