PDA

View Full Version : Trenton, NJ question

MarkC
06-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Hopefully someone can help me. I am a decendent of someone who is an original signer of the Declaration of Independence and the US Consitution. 5x great-Grandpa is buried at the Friends Graveyard located at 142 East Hanover in Trenton, NJ. I would like to see the grave while I am in the area on business next week. However, a couple of sites I looked at mentioned that Trenton has one of the highest crime rates in the country. Sorry to ask-- but can anyone tell me if this area is safe, or should I avoid it? Thanks, Mark

Ian
06-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Nah. Trenton is fine. I was just there on Tuesday for a minor league ballgame and there were tons of people there with their kids.

I mean it's no Beverly Hills, but you aren't going to get mugged either. In fact, it was just named to the top 10 list of best places for young singles to live.

PirateLover
06-19-2009, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't say it's 100% safe, but you should be fine. I'm a big American Revolution buff, and I think it's awesome that you have such a relative. Is your relative George Clymer?

MarkC
06-19-2009, 05:46 PM
First of all, thanks to both of you for the advice. I'm definitely going to check it out.

And Pirate-- you are correct. My Great Grandpa is George Clymer. My dad's cousin did a search and we are direct descendants, which I'm quite proud of even though I had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Scar
06-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Yea, you'll be fine. Like most cities, there are areas where you don't want to be at 2:00 in the morning, but I think E. Hanover is right in downtown, totaly safe.

threeh
06-23-2009, 01:33 PM
I lived across the river from Trenton and worked there for 12 years. During the day you'l be fine. There are parts of Trenton I wouldn't go muking about in at 2am but you'll be fine. But that's only a small part, most of it is very very nice!!
Good luck!!! If you need any info on dining and places to stay let me know, it's my old stomping grounds!!

MarkC
06-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks for everyone's help. I did find the grave and his markers. I arrived about 8am and had no problems. It is in an older section of town, and the cemetery was very small. I was only there a few minutes. Thanks again. Mark