PDA

View Full Version : Tax on Park Tickets

Disney_Barbie
06-19-2009, 11:15 AM
How does the tax work when one purchases tickets at their local disneystore? Do you pay your own state tax? Do you pay FL tax?

We have a tax-free weekend here, would park tickets be tax free on that day? We're picking up Premium Annuals, so tax alone is almost $40/ticket. That's well worth a trip to the disney store on tax-free day if that were the case.

momofdisneyprincess
06-19-2009, 11:20 AM
I believe the last time I bought them, I was actually charged the FL tax rate rather than the MA tax rate.

Imagineer1981
06-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Yes, its the Florida tax rate unless you were to purchase your tickets from a Disney Store in your area

disneymom15
06-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Years ago when we had a Disney Store, we had to pay Florida tax.

Disney_Barbie
06-19-2009, 12:12 PM
unless you were to purchase your tickets from a Disney Store in your area

So if we were to buy them in our area would it be local tax???

AuntDJ
06-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Here our tax free weekend is only for school items. Usually clothes and backpacks...I think I heard they are expanding to school supplies this year....but...

I don't think a ticket to Disney would qualify as either (Although I am pretty sure I could make a good argument for it!), so in Texas even on tax free weekend, you would pay taxes..can't anwer Texas tax or Florida tax...but taxes would be collected..

Have fun!
DJ

momofdisneyprincess
06-19-2009, 01:36 PM
When I purchased at my local Disney store in MA they still charged me the FL tax.

DizneyRox
06-19-2009, 03:33 PM
There's no getting around the Florida State Tax on Disney Tickets. If you buy them local, in Disney, through AAA, or whatever.

I'm not sure about Canada, etc, but in the USofA you pay Florida State Tax on Disney tickets. Oh, military might be different too!

Imagineer1981
06-19-2009, 05:38 PM
interesting, I'll have to double check my old reciepts, I could have sworn we didn't pay FL tax, but maybe we did.

Fangorn
06-19-2009, 08:50 PM
I have purchased many a WDW ticket (including annual passes) from the Disney Stores here in Oregon where we have no sales tax. And it always includes Florida state tax. Of course Disneyland tickets are worse - we have to pay California sales tax on those.

Steve

Disney_Barbie
06-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Thankyou, those answer my question perfectly! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a foolish move by waiting until we got to the park to purchase them. THANKS!

Altair
06-22-2009, 07:10 PM
interesting, I'll have to double check my old reciepts, I could have sworn we didn't pay FL tax, but maybe we did.

A few years ago you did not pay sales tax, that has changed now. :(

DizneyRox
06-22-2009, 07:41 PM
It must have been longer than maybe 7 years ago or so, maybe pre 1997 or so?

Altair
06-22-2009, 07:48 PM
It must have been longer than maybe 7 years ago or so, maybe pre 1997 or so?

It wasn't that long ago. In fact, if Disney had a price increase, our AAA office charged the lower price until all their old tickets were sold.
It was just a loophole that was closed by Disney.

DizneyRox
06-22-2009, 08:14 PM
It wasn't that long ago. In fact, if Disney had a price increase, our AAA office charged the lower price until all their old tickets were sold.
It was just a loophole that was closed by Disney.
Yes, that was a couple years ago.

I remember selling the tickets with tax (and arguing with folks about it), so it was surely longer than 7 years ago.