PDA

View Full Version : WDW, Univ, SW too much?

thejens
06-18-2009, 10:20 PM
I am relatively new to the whole theme park thing and just fell in love with WDW four years ago. I am considering doing a Universal/Sea World (Busch Gardens?) trip instead in 2010 to see Harry Potter World. Any thoughts? I just love WDW and am worried I will be disappointed. Our kids are now 5 and 11. We are not big thrill ride people. We like Splash, BTM, Space Mountain,Kali...my 11 year old has done TOT and RR, and would like to try other coasters. We are thinking about staying at one of the Universal resorts. Would it be too much to do 4 nights at Universal and 4 nights at WDW????

Disney5Mom
06-19-2009, 12:27 AM
We did exactly that a few years ago.3 nights at Royal Pacfic at Universal followed by 4 nights at Disney (Coronado Springs). We loved the trip. Pleasantly surprised how much we enjoyed Universal but still glad to go to disney as well.The only drawback is it is an expensive way to go.

Disney5Mom
06-19-2009, 12:29 AM
The front of the line access available to on site guests at Universal is fantastic and the hotels are lovely.

Figment50
06-19-2009, 03:50 AM
Staying on property is probly the expensive root. Staying off property some where in between universal and Disney maybe cheaper. Some hotels off property have shuttle services to and from the parks for free. Renting a car may not be so bad. Only down side to staying off propert is that you get non of those great on site perks.

DVC2004
06-19-2009, 09:16 AM
I don't think you'll need to spend 4 nights at Universal. I would say 2 nights would suffice. Really, there is not that much there to fill 4 nights. There's not a ton there for smaller kids either. Your older child will probably enjoy it more. Staying on property is good because it includes to express pass- which depending on the time of year you are going can be a very needed thing. We like the Royal Pacific Resort there. It is the least expensive and the theme is nice.
You won't be disappointed- it's not Disney but it still is fun. We don't do Universal every trip but we did go there in April and we had a great time.

murphy1
06-19-2009, 11:21 AM
I agree on 2 nights Universal, one day Sea World, the rest at WDW is good if you like it that much. We have also done just a day or one of the parties at WDW (like MNSSHP or P&P) to get a fix. I just took my three girls to a character meal last week and a spin on the monorail before we went to the beach and they liked that, too.

DeniseMB
06-21-2009, 03:37 PM
We have stayed at Royal Pacific & Hard Rock Hotel. Both were lovely. Each trip my 2 children were teens, they really enjoyed Hard Rock Hotel. One full day at Universal, full day at Islands of Adventure, a day at Sea World, few hours in pm at CityWalk. I have been to Busch Gardens years ago. I wouldn't bother now, because of the distance. :mickey:

StillSimbaGirl
06-21-2009, 06:31 PM
I've done both WDW and Universal in one trip. I've also combined Universal with Sea World and Discovery Cove.

Here's what I think makes the most sense...spend the weekend (or 3 nights) at Universal, when Disney is going to be its busiest...spend the rest of the time at Disney. In my head, you need as much time at Disney as you can get and you still won't have gotten to half of it.

Mt DD10 (not a thrill rider) prefers Universal/SeaWorld trips...just more laid back than Disney. Too very different trips to plan for...WDW requires a PLAN. ADRs - knowing which park on what day.

Our Universal trip generally starts with a nice breakfast, followed by a very mellow boat ride to whichever park strikes our fancy...maybe we'll write our name down for a lunch time reservation at Mythos or Lombardos. We do what we want - front of the line access ROCKS and then back to the hotel for some pool time. We might order dinner poolside at the Royal Pacific...or go over for dinner at City Walk...

Now some people would say, start with Universal and build up to Disney...I go for the opposite. After working through Disney, I am ready for vacation and a really fabulous hotel...

Magic Smiles
06-25-2009, 10:31 PM
We usually just stay in WDW and rent a car. This way we don't have to pack up and move during our vacation. We do all of the other parks while in Disney. 2 days max is required for Universal and Islands of Adventure.

thejens
06-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks for all the great tips. I would have thought of building up to Disney too, but what a great idea to relax at the end of the trip! I just got a post card about combining a Royal Caribbean Cruise with a Universal stay. I could never do a Disney Park/Cruise because I want a full week at Disney AND a full week cruise (never heard of that combo before?) but maybe a few days at Universal then a cruise would be just right? Love to plan my vacations, can't you tell?

Cinderella's mom
07-30-2009, 05:45 PM
On our Honeymoon, my DH and I went to all three places. We did all 4 parks at WDW, 2 at Univ and SW. We were exhausted, but had SO much fun!!! I would love to be able to do all 3 again, but now with 2 children, it may be too much. In Nov, we are going back to WDW and SW. Would LOVE to throw in a day at Univ, but not sure that we can with the 3 year old.

Disneymom4ever
07-30-2009, 06:25 PM
We actually did just that on our last trip, actually 5 days at Disney first (1 day at each park, then an extra to finish up a park), and then moved to Royal Pacific for 4 nights (1 day Universal, 1 day Islands of Adv., and 1 day Sea World). I love starting with Disney- it makes it easier leaving, knowing more fun is to come at Universal. And I absolutely recommend staying onsite at Universal (if you can swing it). Those key cards are like gold! Plus it's so relaxing! Have fun, planning is 1/2 the fun.:mickey: