PDA

View Full Version : Ride Closings

MichaelMouse
06-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Is it really wise to close both the Tomorrowland transit authority (webway people mover) and Space Mountain through the summer months at the same time????? I mean couldn't they pick one of the two to stay open. You would think they would pick slower times in the year to close down rides. Good Going Disney. not such a wise move.:(:(:(:mad::mad:

BMan62
06-18-2009, 03:04 PM
They needed to close Space mountain for a major rehab.

Since part of TTA goes through SM, they also have to close that down for a period of time until they get the rehab in that area of SM completed.

It was not a decision made lightly, but SM was starting to have major concerns - operationally and safety wise.

kbean
06-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Yea.... and besides, they seem to always close Splash Mtn in Jan n Feb which is when I go.... along with a few other rides.....

medic9016
06-18-2009, 03:44 PM
There really is not a slow time anymore.

The closing of TTA is also for safety, due to the overhead construction in Space Mountain.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-18-2009, 03:55 PM
I agree that it is frustrating when rides are closed, but they have to keep them safe and in good running order.

It did make Tomorrowland a really quick stop on our last trip though.

MichaelMouse
06-18-2009, 04:14 PM
For safety concerns pertaining to SM rehab is very understandable. However, through the summer though??? It seems like September 1st would have been a quiet time to proceed. In the end, it is what it is and we will find relaxation on another ride: It's a small world, Anyone??????;):mickey:

BMan62
06-18-2009, 04:55 PM
It's a 9 month rehab. It was going to hit summer no matter what. They want it back open before their busiest season - between Christmas and New Years.

Imagineer1981
06-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Trust me from working there, the ride needed a serious rehab. The integrity of the track itself was fine, but the computer systems where tempermental and outdated. The sensors were old and went off way more then they ever should. The ride has 15 brakes on the track and when the ride is opened or goes 101 (breakdown) during the day, you have to go out and manually reset all 15 brakes where as on RnRC they can do that from the tower. As for the TTA it goes over the queue area of SM and is not directly affected by the ride track but if they are doing any repainting or maintance on that side, it would have to be shut down for safety

Lizzie
06-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Are they doing a rehab like they did on the DL version? That ride is so smoth now.

Jared
06-18-2009, 09:01 PM
For safety concerns pertaining to SM rehab is very understandable. However, through the summer though??? It seems like September 1st would have been a quiet time to proceed. In the end, it is what it is and we will find relaxation on another ride: It's a small world, Anyone??????;):mickey:
I'm not exactly sure what you want Disney to do. Space Mountain clearly needed an extensive rehab. Unfortunately, that means the ride needs to be down for almost an entire year, meaning about two-thirds of the guests who visit Magic Kingdom in 2009 will be affected by the closure.

It's not ideal, it was either close the ride during the summer or during the holiday period. There is no way to please everybody in this situation. Hopefully, the updated Space Mountain makes the inconvenience worthwhile.

Lakin
06-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Are they doing a rehab like they did on the DL version? That ride is so smoth now.

Nobody knows, really. From what I've heard, not many details of the refurb have been released. But, we could always hope for a smoother ride!

DizneyRox
06-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Actually, it appears Disney lucked out with the economy on this one. I'm guessing the bookings are down enough that they probbly don't need those two for capacity reasons. We'll see, but from some of the offers I've seen lately ($139 rooms for a deluxe) that attendence is going to be down this summer.

It's too bad it looks like they are going to cheap out on the refurb too. If tings pick up, it'll be a long time before it goes down again, unless they can get another e-ticket up in MK soon.

crltkcagle
06-19-2009, 09:52 AM
I know it stinks like yesterdays diapers but hopefully they will make it even better for out next trips.

TinkerbellT421
06-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Yea.... and besides, they seem to always close Splash Mtn in Jan n Feb which is when I go.... along with a few other rides.....

All I know is I have been there the last 3 years in a row, at different weeks in January, and every week we are there Splash Mountain closes the day before or the day we get there and opens the day we leave or the day after leave. So we have pushed back this years trip by a week and HOPEFULLY I will be able to finally see Splash Mountain, I have NEVER been on it.

bruin1344
06-19-2009, 01:03 PM
i am glad they are refurbing Space Mountain

last real pirate
06-21-2009, 09:51 PM
i am looking forward to riding the newly refurbed sm. we always depended on the people mover for a chance to just sit down and rest our feet for a few minutes. i have even been known to fall asleep on it a time or two.

chucklesheartsdisney
06-21-2009, 09:59 PM
I was too disappointed about SM being closed over my next vacation:(, but I'd be more upset if the TTA was closed too. That is the perfect ride to rest your feet on, or when you have 15 minutes to spare until the fastpass is up - I'm just hoping that in September I can see some of the "newer" SM!!!

CaptSmee
06-21-2009, 10:07 PM

I'm sure that other rehabs weighed into the schedule of when to have SM go down. Also, I believe that the 2 systems operate on the same power grid which may have something to do with it as well. I've been on the TTA when SM went down completely, and so did the TTA.

Mickeydream
06-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Anyone know when the refurb is supposed to be completed? Have they set a proposed date yet? Our trip is planned for Nov 18-28... hope it will be finished by then! :mickey:

joanna71985
06-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Anyone know when the refurb is supposed to be completed? Have they set a proposed date yet? Our trip is planned for Nov 18-28... hope it will be finished by then! :mickey:

From reports, it is due to reopen Nov 21.