PDA

View Full Version : NO MORE ADRs

Imagineer1981
06-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Is it just me, or is going to the parks now more of a headache because of ADRs? I remember when I was younger we'd just check when we got to the resort or even to the park that day. I know there were countless times when my dad would go to Epcot guests services that day, come out and say well we have lunch at Italy and dinner at Canada. Only sometimes would restruants be booked for dinner but that wasn't until like 11 or noon. Even when I went with my DW just a few years ago we could call and make a few reservations no problem for the most part.

It seems like so many people are so structured because of their ADRs they don't have as much freedom to park hop and enjoy WDW. Now if the park is crowded its like "I can't leave because of my ADR at Crystal Palace for lunch" or "I have to leave MK at 5 to make it to EPCOT for my ADR at 7 and so we have to skip Space Mountain this trip", and so on and so on. Seems like ADRs make people have to make more sacrifices and structured when you should be care free and relaxed. Just my :twocents:

Goes4FastPass
06-17-2009, 04:29 PM
ADRs have turned WDW into "vacation by appointent" as the "leader" I have to plan my groups touring around ADRs. It's that or hot dogs.

And that's for a collection of restaurants that aren't a smidge better than what's at every shopping mall.

So we make an ADR for Stouffer's Liberty Tree Tavern. We plan our touring around the ADR. What is Stouffers Liberty Tree Tavern without characters? A magical pan of Stouffers Costco mac and cheese.

Scott C
06-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Agreed -- I do have only 2 for my July trip. The whole process seems so crazy. I don't know what park I will feel like being at 90 days out.

Thanks
Scott C

DizneyRox
06-17-2009, 04:36 PM
I don't really care either way. Yeah, it would be nice if everyone could just walk up and figure out where they wanted to eat that day, but I don't mind making reservations in advance either. I don't think the food is particularly great in WDW now though, so if I don't get to eat some place, it's really not a big loss.

We usually pick a couple palces on where we think we'll be and make reservations. If we're there, good for us, if not, we'll fgure something else out. We'll make extra effort to get to those ones we pay for in advance though.

Zippy 1
06-17-2009, 04:43 PM
I too feel ADR's are a little to confining sometimes. I wish they would only allow a certain amount of reservations and keep a portion available for walk ups or day of reservations. This would make it a little easier for some familys.

Dsnygirl
06-17-2009, 04:45 PM
I totally agree with you -- but unfortunately, I think if you really want to eat at a place that is well liked, you now have to go the ADR route -- spontanaeity has been totally taken away for places like that.

When I was down in January, the parks weren't busy at all -- it was lovely, no real waits for rides, no crowds. So, you wouldn't have thought dinner times would have been so hard to come by.

But, if my girlfriends and I hadn't had ADR's, we would have never gotten to eat where we wanted to go! We tried, unsuccessfully, to eat at earlier times for the places we'd chosen and had ADR's for, just b/c we were done in that park for the day and wanted to head out -- and it was a "no go" everywhere! We were told they weren't accepting "walk-ins", which is what we would have become if we were earlier than our ADR. (I'm talking by like an hour or more, not just 15 or 30 minutes)

So, although I'd been thinking of not making as many ADR's for our October trip, I realized I'd just better make them to have them and understand that we'll end up working around them occassionally. Not the ideal, but at least we'll get to eat at the places we really like.

TysMomTink
06-17-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm with the OP. Although there are a couple of places we really enjoy, I'd rather take it as it comes. Oh well. The times we live in. BTW remember the days of going into the kisoks (one inside Spaceship Earth and one by Germany in WS) where you talked into the monitors to the reservationists? I remember thinking how cool and futuristic is that? Many times we'd decide spur of the moment, oh let's get reservations for Alfredo's or Biergarten.

lightyearfan
06-17-2009, 05:10 PM
well i'm going to have to disagree here, because when me and dw goto WDW we kind of know our plans before we go, so on that we can make our ADR's, and to have them pre-booked before you get there is important to me, because we're not going to spend money up front for our deluxe ddp, to find out that me and dw can't sit down at a nice TS resturant because it's all booked and now we're stuck with just cs meals, and then there you have it we over spent on the deluxe pkg. as far missing rides or attractions for us isn't a big problem because we usually like to stay until park close anyway so if were at MK, and have a ADR at Epcot, it's onto the monorail, goto our ADR, back to the monorail ,and finish off the park, i mean no matter where you're at you have to stop and eat anyway, and i think that we're not the only 2 people who do this. (IMHO) again to each his own and everybody does everything differenty, at the end of the day were at WDW the most happiest place on earth and that's the most important thing

Victor

MidnTPK
06-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Here's how I think the suits at WDW will/have address/ed this feedback:

1. Build more dining venues - already in the works by closing Pleasure Island and converting that space into dining (which was an explanation given for closing all of the clubs) and building the Western Beltway (Flamingo Crossing?) development.

2. Raise dining plan prices. I bet the dining plans were intended for moderate and deluxe guests, where the resorts have sit-down venues. Disney has probably been surprised by how many value guests spend $120~ a night on their room, but also spend $120+ a night on dining (for a typical family of 4). WDW dosen't have enough non-resort sit-down dining capacity to accomodate the unexpected number of people at values that choose the dining plans (who are far more likely do their sit-down in a park or at DTD). The easiest way to control this is to increase prices...and get many people to opt out and choose more counter service.

Imagineer1981
06-17-2009, 05:13 PM
well i'm going to have to disagree here, because when me and dw goto WDW we kind of know our plans before we go, so on that we can make our ADR's, and to have them pre-booked before you get there is important to me, beccause we're not going to spend money up front for our deluxe ddp, to find ou that me and dw can't sit down at a nice TS resturant because it's all booked and me stuck with just cs meals, and then there you have it we over spent on the deluxe pkg. as far missing rides or attractions for us isn't a big problem because we usually like to stay until park close anyway so if were at MK, and have a ADR at Epcot, it's onto the monorail, goto our ADR, back to the monorail ,and finish off the park, i mean no matter where you're at you have to stop and eat anyway, and i think that we're not the only 2 people who do this. (IMHO)

Victor

True, but if there was no dining plan, you wouldn't need ADRS either. The plan is great, but at the end of the day you are still paying a lot of money for food unless you are going during free dining periods. We are going during free dining, our first time using the ddp at all and so far I am already frustrated at being so limited by where to go. Its free food so I don't want to not use it, but I feel so limited now in my flexibility.

estein80
06-17-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm with the OP. Although there are a couple of places we really enjoy, I'd rather take it as it comes. Oh well. The times we live in. BTW remember the days of going into the kisoks (one inside Spaceship Earth and one by Germany in WS) where you talked into the monitors to the reservationists? I remember thinking how cool and futuristic is that? Many times we'd decide spur of the moment, oh let's get reservations for Alfredo's or Biergarten.

I vaguely remember this, but every time we walk into Epcot DH starts to reminisce about the days when you could walk up to a screen and talk to person to make a reservation from the park.

Dopey's Girl
06-17-2009, 06:21 PM
I miss the days when you didn't have to be so structured too...I don't mind some planning, but I hate that in order to eat something other than a hot dog or chicken nuggets (which I love, don't get me wrong, just not for every meal) you have to plan your whole week out. I wish they would leave x amount of tables per place open for walk ups each day. I know that they won't, but it sure would make it easier to have a spur of the moment trip!

joanna71985
06-17-2009, 08:27 PM
I actually like having ADRs, because I like planning my days. It makes it easier for me.

Marilyn Michetti
06-17-2009, 08:53 PM
I absolutely HATE ADR's. They're confining, and when it's time to eat, you may or may not even want that. CS isn't all that bad, at least in Epcot, and outstanding at DD. $60 for dinner is alot seven times in one week, and we're already too fat.:blush:

We eat out once a week here in Phoenix, so it's not our first goal at WDW. I'm making reservations for dinner at Cape May, breakfast at CP, and (this year), lunch at Tuskers. It gives us so much freedom not having to watch the time, to be somewhere, eat too much, and spend too much $$.:thumbsup:

marylynne95
06-17-2009, 09:07 PM
I don't really see the big deal people make over ADRs. Make them for some places you want to go and If you can't make it what is the big deal. If I wanted to ride another ride or do something fun, I would much rather miss the ADR and enjoy myself. After all that is what vacation is all about. There are also CS options that aren't hot dogs and chicken nuggets. I have planned last minute trips and gotten ADRs, maybe not for the most popular places, but you have options. My last trip to WDW the last weekend of February this year, I made a few ADRs (last minute), couldn't make them because of ESPN The Weekend stuff I wanted to do and actually got several walk ins at places. Maybe not at our first choice, but I still ate and got to do the things I wanted to do. Tis just food and I don't really care what I eat as long as I am in WDW!!

Marceline
06-17-2009, 09:49 PM
I like ADRs a lot.:thumbsup: We don't do the dining plan, we go OOP, but I still like knowing we have seats reserved for my family at the places we like to eat. We generally get right in with very little wait time too.

I wouldn't like dining on the fly all the time and just hoping we can get into our favorite places without a wait.:confused: I enjoy planning AND park hopping, and I don't see having a reservation as a hindrance to going with the flow. I think of the ADRs as nice framework for our park and resort touring plan. I plan for free time to roam without an agenda. It works great. It's all about creative planning.

We spend so much money on a WDW trip:mickey:...it's nice to not leave our meals up to fate and waits.

Think of it like this.....an appointment to HAVE to eat at a WDW restaurant is a pleasure and a privilege and it will NEVER be as bad as having a dentist appointment. :D

iheartdisney
06-17-2009, 10:45 PM
The people I feel sorry for are the first timers, excited about their trip, overwhelmed by all of the dining choices and think, "hey, we'll just figure it out when we get there" and then they get turned away restaurant after restaurant because they didn't make their dining reservations 90 days ago.

joonyer
06-17-2009, 11:10 PM
I have also grown weary of having to have and ADR for a particular restaurant at a particular time. Next trip we are doing CS meals only. We love going to 'Ohana and we may try to get one there, but truth be told, in my opinion, although some of the WDW restaurants are fun ('Ohana) most of them are just not that much better than where we can eat out at home without the hassles. We don't go during free dining offers, and I don't think most of the WDW restaurants are worth spending that kind of $$$ on. We'll be camping at FW and eating breakfasts and most of our suppers in camp anyway.

garymacd
06-17-2009, 11:10 PM
My chief complaint with the DDP when we used it a couple years ago was planning our entire visit around our ADR's.

I, too, remember going into the main floor of Spaceship Earth and finding a reservations phone and making dinner reservations for two hours hence for a group of eight without trouble.

Seasonscraps
06-17-2009, 11:32 PM
It's the dining plan. Since everyone is paying for their meals in advance (directly or indirectly), they are of course going to make sure they have them. There are barely enough spaces to go around so everyone is scrambling. I think it stinks when people end up settling on a restaurant they don't even really care for because there's nothing left and they have a credit left. :(

Aggie97
06-17-2009, 11:56 PM
I agree. This is why we schedule only a few TS meals for each trip. We make ADRs for evenings when we likely will not have to make that park vs. dinner choice (e.g., the evening we arrive; DTD/resort hopping day; and after visiting AK, which closes early). :mickey:

Jeffybob
06-18-2009, 08:56 AM
We have done it both ways; ADR and on the fly.

Truthfully, there are some places that we like to frequent and if you do not have the reservations, it will not happen. There are a lot of people who visit WDW and just so many seats to go around.

We have only used the Dining Plan a few times and we have found that we eat more than we would normally just to get our monies worth. (How much pre-packaged Choc Cake can you eat, and only because it is included? Is it something that you would really order if it wasn't?)

Also, we have tried to be creative using our TS meal for lunch, eating the heavier meal mid-day, leaving the balance of the afternoon to walk it off, then use the CS for the evening meal, which gives you more options to choose from.

Everyone is different, some are planners, using RideMax to maximize their ride times, and use every moment they are at WDW. Others have been to WDW numerous times and just enjoy being there and going with the flow.

I guess that is the freedom of choice! :mickey:

-Jeffybob (Boardwalk DVC Member since '98)

2009 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
2008 - BWV (2)
2007 - BWV
2006 - DLR (2), SSR, BWV, DCL - Western Caribbean
2005 - HH, BWV (2)
2003 - BWV
2002 - BWV, Disneyland Paris
2001 - BWV, DLC - Bahamas
2000 - BWV
1999 - BWV, HH, VB
1998 - BWV, Swan

brownie
06-18-2009, 10:12 AM
On our honeymoon trip in 1994, we walked in to all the places we ate. I think the only place we had to wait was King Stefan's Banquet Hall.

On our trips I try to schedule no more than one table service meal a day and keep everything else flexible around that. Yes, it can be tough to nail down what park to go to on each day and be committed to that, but we're also working around parade and entertainment schedules before planning meals.

Imagineer1981
06-18-2009, 10:43 AM
I think another poster said it, the root of the problem is also the DDP. Because you have to use a table service you have to eat at those restraunts. I'd much prefer the DDP to be 1 counter and 1 table a day, but I want to cash in a table for another counter that should be allowed. Then I could get the DDP and only make a couple of ADRs and feel fine knowing my meals are still included, just not confirned to TS only for that 2nd credit

rubato
06-18-2009, 12:00 PM
I, too, don't like ADRs.

1. Who knows when they're going to be hungry? I don't eat just to eat.

2. Who knows what they're going to feel like doing? If I have been waiting in line for 1 hour, I'm not leaving it to go eat.

3. The food at WDW really is just mediocre at best. True, I have not been to V & A, so I can't speak for every single restaurant!

4. The blame can most assuredly be placed on the dining plan. And, since I don't use the dining plan, I don't feel I should have to pay the price by not being able to walk in anywhere. I also agree that the dining plan just makes people feel the need to order the most expensive thing on the menu and overeat in order to feel that they've gotten their money's worth.

So, yes, to each his own. But, it does get frustrating and I wish the system could be better.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-18-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm a fan of the ADR's. I like knowing what we're doing and where we're going.

Now, we did try the deluxe plan, and that was way too much planning for me (and way too much time eating). We felt like the whole vacation was running from ADR to ADR.

But, having one reservation a day isn't too much, and we have the peace of mind of knowing we're going to get to eat where we want, and don't miss out on a favourite restaurant.

I would hate to worry all week about if we were going to get to eat where we wanted, and having to rush to try and book things every morning of the trip.

We made reservations when we go other places, even for special places here at home, so why should WDW be different.

Seasonscraps
06-18-2009, 04:55 PM
We made reservations when we go other places, even for special places here at home, so why should WDW be different.

For me, the difference is I usually don't need to make reservations 3 months in advance for restaurants that for the most part are average. In other vacation destinations, if you need to make a last minute change to your dining plan you have so many more options.

This is actually why we started renting a car so we don't need to get stuck with just Disney restaurants although I enjoy a couple of the DTD places too. :D

ElenitaB
06-18-2009, 08:36 PM
For me, the difference is I usually don't need to make reservations 3 months in advance for restaurants that for the most part are average. In other vacation destinations, if you need to make a last minute change to your dining plan you have so many more options.

Granted, most restaurants don't need reservations three months in advance, but there sure are some around that do (particularly in Manhattan)! And we need to recognize that not all vacation destinations are as busy as WDW.

I agree... I really do feel for the first-timers who don't have a clue.

Seasonscraps
06-18-2009, 08:59 PM
You're right, there are places that are difficult to impossible to get into in Manhattan - but they are mostly gourmet high end restaurants. Disney has a couple of nice restaurants then places that wouldn't get a second glance if you were anywhere else.

And you hit it on the head - Disney is really busy but more importantly they are also very captive. They get vacationers on their property and they don't leave until it's time to get home. It's brilliant from a business stand point.

In the past few years, Disney got away with downgrading their menus, reducing portions, increasing prices and all the while booking most of the restaurants to capacity on a daily basis. All in exchange for the magic of being and staying on property.

Imagineer1981
06-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Then you have the overbookers (which I am guilty of) who book 2-3 ADRs a day and then just figure out which one they want that day. For example I am on the DDP and I booked a TS meal every day, but on some days I booked 2 TS meals, just as a backup. Unfortunately its the only way to be sure I can be flexible in my schedule. I don't want Ohanas, well I have Cape May for Lunch instead...all good but I took a reservation from someone else, so I make sure to cancel the other ones when we decide

Disney Doll
06-19-2009, 01:07 PM
We dislike the structure as well which is why we tend to eat mostly CS. That and the fact that it's hard to eat too many lengthy sit down meals with little kiddos. CS is not all just hot dogs and chicken nuggets. In fact other than the one Casey's dog we always have each trip I don't think we've had hot dogs or chicken nuggets. We can eat out at home. We come to WDW for family fun so we only schedule a couple of ADRs each trip. It works perfectly for us.

Laughin' place
06-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Count us among those who truly appreciate ADRs. I dont find it all that limiting, and a carefully made plan works well for my whole family. WIth crowds so big so much of the year, "day of" or walk up allocation of tables would be chaos. There are enough people stampeding as it is. We have family favorites that we would HATE to miss (more about atmosphere, perhaps, than the gustatory experience), and we like to try a new place or more each trip. ADRs allow us to do that with a little planning before our trip and almost NO stress during it.:thumbsup:

MickeyMousse
06-19-2009, 01:42 PM
I vaguely remember this, but every time we walk into Epcot DH starts to reminisce about the days when you could walk up to a screen and talk to person to make a reservation from the park.

YES! I remember those kiosks in Epcot. The CM would pop up on the screen and be able to see you too. It was a fun way to make ressies. I enjoyed that....ah, the good ol' days...:old:

thumperbug
06-19-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm an ADR fan. We usually plan 1 TS meal per day of our trip and pick the resturant based on what park we plan to be in that day. So, for us first we need the park hours for our stay, then we decide what park, which day we plan on hitting then make ADRs.

We like knowing we have 1 ADR that we can sit down and relax and enjoy our meal. Our TS is our big meal of the day (Breakfast, lunch or dinner) and then if we get hungry along the way we just have snacks. I don't feel like our ADRs define or confine us. They actually give us peace of mind.

To each his own...

disneygirlnowmom
06-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Personally, I'm a fan of ADR's.

I find that we waste more time standing around with 3-5 other members of my party trying to figure out where everyone wants to eat. Because of the ADR system we already know that so we enjoy our day up until the time to leave for the ADR.

Also for my children and I, we need to eat on a schedule otherwise we are prone to migraine headaches. So waiting until a restaurant isn't busy won't work for us. Nothing ruins a vacation like a migraine!

omearac
06-20-2009, 12:51 PM
I love ADR's. I don't plan my trip around the ADR's, I plan the ADR's around my trip. Has your family ever done this to you, "where do you want to go? I don't know, where do you want to go? I don't know, where do you want to go?"

My family will waste time and get frustrated with each other because nobody can decide on chicken or pizza - it drives me bonkers!!! :mad:

I avoid all of that and plan a table service for each day and we pick a counter service on the fly. We look at the park schedule and decide what park we'll be at according to the activities scheduled and then pick a restaurant in that park or close by.

It works out great! There is no wasted time and I don't have to yell at anyone "just decide!!!". :D

On a cruise your dinner is planned by the cruise ship. In the park the only difference is I get to decide when and where.

1DisneyNut
06-20-2009, 03:10 PM
We tried ADR's once and I absolutely hated it. You are constantly checking the time, trying to decide if you have time to ride one more ride and are sort of confined to that park. We don't go to WDW to eat, we go for the rides and shows. If I wanted good food I would head over to the coast to some real seafood restaurants and get an excellent meal at a reasonable price. We often go over to Daytona or maybe the Gulf side around Clearwater to eat seafood. Its interesting to go to some of the various countries restaurants in Epcot from time to time but we just walk up and see if they have an opening and if not we go to a CS restaurant. We just don't let eating rule our trip.

Lakin
06-20-2009, 03:18 PM
I wish they would leave x amount of tables per place open for walk ups each day. I know that they won't, but it sure would make it easier to have a spur of the moment trip!

Actually, I could just imagine that making things even more chaotic. You know, people rushing to the restaurant claiming that they had those seats first, and such. Even though more freedom would be nice, I think it would just add to the chaos.

But, ADRs really aren't that much of a hassle to my family. We normally only make one ADR on our trip so that we can have more freedom. My family isn't one of those families that have to have 5 star dinner every night, so it doesn't bother us. If we have to have ice cream for supper one night, so be it! ADRs save me from having to look for somewhere to eat. And, about using my time before my ADR, we either go around and shop, head to the restaurant early so we can get a good table and beat the rush, or ride a ride we see has a very short line (rarely.)

dancin Disney style
06-22-2009, 11:03 AM
We do two types of trips.
1...all parks, all the time.
2...total R&R...we might visit one or 2 parks.

When we do the first type we really don't make ADR's. We are happy to eat CS because it works better to just eat when and where we are hungry.

When we do the second type, in recent years, we have gone during free dining. Which actually works for us because the big event for most days are the TS dinners. We have been to the world numerous times so we never feel the need to do anything special. Yes, we all have a few special attractions that we must do but it's only 3 or 4 per park so that is easy to accomplish without upsetting the ADR plans.

BMan62
06-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Then you have the overbookers (which I am guilty of) who book 2-3 ADRs a day and then just figure out which one they want that day. For example I am on the DDP and I booked a TS meal every day, but on some days I booked 2 TS meals, just as a backup. Unfortunately its the only way to be sure I can be flexible in my schedule. I don't want Ohanas, well I have Cape May for Lunch instead...all good but I took a reservation from someone else, so I make sure to cancel the other ones when we decide

You, and people like you, are big part of the problem!! Don't you understand how rude it is to monopolize possible tables just for your own gratification? You are probably one of those who will not call to cancel the ones you are not using, even the same day, right?

That is why I wish there were some restrictions on how many ADRs can be made per reservation - ONE PER NIGHT (in any combination -- if you are staying 5 nights you can make up to 5 TS credit s worth of ADRs) and ALL ADRs must be made with a reservation number.

Sorry, but this is something that really upsets me about ADRs.

Seasonscraps
06-22-2009, 12:21 PM

You, and people like you, are big part of the problem!! Don't you understand how rude it is to monopolize possible tables just for your own gratification? You are probably one of those who will not call to cancel the ones you are not using, even the same day, right?

That is why I wish there were some restrictions on how many ADRs can be made per reservation - ONE PER NIGHT (in any combination -- if you are staying 5 nights you can make up to 5 TS credit s worth of ADRs) and ALL ADRs must be made with a reservation number.

I agree with you that double booking ADRs for the same meal is not the most polite thing but Imagineer specifically stated that they do cancel ADRs they don't plan to use.

There's really no way you can limit how many ADRs people make based on the number of TS credits or number of days they are on property:
- People on the DDP could be paying OOP for meals that are not covered by the plan;

- Some people may have more then one TS meal a day;

- Some groups may split up and eat at different times or restaurants;

- Guests do not need to be resort guests nor on the dining plan to make an ADR.

Saron the Great
06-23-2009, 12:25 AM
This why I worked our dinner plans around our PARK SCHEDULE!!! I was not going to chase ADR's while we are in Disney as we are there for the attractions, rides etc.........

Goes4FastPass
06-23-2009, 09:41 AM

This is a surprise. Someone who does the really really selfishly harms everyone else wrong thing and happily admits it.

Cancelling a reservation a few minutes before a meal means that slot was blocked when others were trying to make an ADR over the past many weeks.

Imagineer1981
06-23-2009, 11:32 AM

Yes but when I book them, I do one lunch and one for dinner. 90% of the time, we do both of them so its really not a big deal, but like I posted, I will also cancel them at least a day or two early if possible

Granny Jill A
06-23-2009, 03:20 PM
I miss the days when you didn't have to be so structured too...I don't mind some planning, but I hate that in order to eat something other than a hot dog or chicken nuggets (which I love, don't get me wrong, just not for every meal) you have to plan your whole week out. I wish they would leave x amount of tables per place open for walk ups each day. I know that they won't, but it sure would make it easier to have a spur of the moment trip!

I'm in total agreement with you and the OP. Food is wonderful, but I don't build my whole trip to Disney World around it. The free dining promotions have turned eating into an ordeal. I like the one suggestion about keeping some tables open for walk-ups.

kwhitt3202
06-23-2009, 04:10 PM
We make our ADR around what park we will be at during that meal so there is not a big issue. With my family we usually book a breakfast and a dinner then counter service for lunch to make it more flexible. I did hear talk about them getting a credit card number for any reservation to prevent double booking and no shows. Dont know how accurate it is.