PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom "Picnic" Review

jcvalenti
06-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Well, today was a rare day for our group - two brand new dining experiences on the same day ! Not easy to do with old vets like us. I'll cover our trip to Paradiso 37 in another post, but here's our experience with the Picnic in the Park lunch.

We started off the day at Animal Kingdom at the rope drop. After riding for a few hours, including an insane "five in a row" at Kali River Rapids (the 3 year old loved it), we were hungry and headed over to the Tusker House area in Africa to pick up the "Picnic in the Park" lunches the 15 of us had ordered at the Park Entrance 3 1/2 hours before.

My family went with the Rotisserie Chicken and 3 sides (potato wedges, fruit salad, and green beans). The meal, frankly, was excellent. The chicken was solid, though I wish there was an all white meat option. Well done, flavourful and a nice change of pace from the usual corn dog or burger at AK.

The meal came in a really cool picnic carry bag (which my wife quickly co-opted as another park bag), with 4 bottled waters, the sides, the chicken, and 4 desserts (huge chocolate brownies and chocolate chip cookies). The green beans were spectacular, though the fruit salad was a little lacking (mostly cheap green melon).

The Picnic experience was a lot better than I imagined it would be, with park temps nudging 100 degrees today. We found a great little area off the river behind the Dawa bar, with some large umbrella covered picnic tables. There seemed to be a lot of other diners in the area who were also trying out the lunches, and the reviews were pretty positive.

It's been a long time since I thought I got "value" for my meal money at Disney, but at $10 a head for our group, this was certainly a great option. I heartily recommend it.

Aggie97
06-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks for your review! Sounds like a great experience. :thumbsup:

hardingella
06-17-2009, 05:09 AM
WOW, sounds mouth watering. Its amazing, no matter how many times you go to Disney, discuss Disney or read up about it, you are always fing out about new stuff. Thanks.
One question, where do you order the picnic, and do they do a smaller version for the kids?

jcvalenti
06-17-2009, 06:32 AM
One question, where do you order the picnic, and do they do a smaller version for the kids?

The picnics are ordered as you walk in the front gates of AK, next to Guest Relations. Very smooth, very fast process.

No smaller version for the kids, but for us, we ordered a meal for four and it was plenty for our group of five (three adults, 2 kids ages 9 and 3)

mjaclyn
06-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Does anyone know if a Counter Service credit can be used for the picnic?

TheRustyScupper
06-17-2009, 08:11 AM
. . . After riding for a few hours, including an insane "five in a row" at Kali River Rapids (the 3 year old loved it), we were hungry

1) And, maybe a little wet.
2) Sounds like a good meal break.
3) Might have to put it on the list for a quick lunch.

azcavalier
06-17-2009, 09:01 AM
We are planning to do this when we go in October. My DW and DDs are really looking forward to it. I'm looking forward to a change from the normal Disney lunch fare...and i'm also fairly certain that temps won't be nudging 100 degrees when we're there. ;)

yjgirl32
06-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Sounds great. We too are planning to try this when we go in Sept. Something different to experience and eat. Thanks for the review.

twinboyz
06-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the review. It sounds fantastic and fun. I wish they had a option for two adults..I guess we'll have to take the kids with us one of these trips..:secret:

MickeyMousse
06-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Has anyone had experience with the sandwich choice? How large are they and are they yummy?
We are thinking of trying this on our next trip in November.....also, what is the earliest/latest you can pick up your order? I was thinking we'd use it as a late lunch/early dinner option.

jcvalenti
06-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the review. It sounds fantastic and fun. I wish they had a option for two adults..I guess we'll have to take the kids with us one of these trips..:secret:

I'm pretty sure they did have a picnic for two option ... I tossed the order form though, so I can't confirm that ... but I think it was an option.

VolMickey
06-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks! This is a great option :mickey:

hoop de do
06-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Thanks for a great review. We are going to try it next trip. :eat: :thumbsup:

garthbarth1
06-17-2009, 07:33 PM
This sounds great! We are on the CS Dining Plan, so I am not sure if this is included?? We may have to pay oop for this one!

Toodle
06-17-2009, 09:22 PM
When we were there in early June they did not have a picnic option for 2 - they said that they were working on that but so far you had to have at least 4 in your party.

Princess'Mom
06-18-2009, 12:53 PM
We did the picnic with sandwiches in May - for three people. It was excellent and a great value. The sandwiches were large in portion and we really enjoyed them. We opted for the mac and cheese side for my DD. She isn't much of a sandwich kind of kid - unless it is baloney or peanut butter. She ate most of her sandwich and scarfed the mac and cheese. I got a spoonful of the mac and cheese and it was really tasty! DH was impressed with the picnic and thought it was pretty neat that I knew about it! Little did he know that my dear friends at Intercot keep me in the know! :thumbsup: I definitely would recommend it.