PDA

View Full Version : Time to get to Hollywood from DLR

hauntedmansiongirl
06-16-2009, 07:40 PM
We are trying to decide if we should stay at DLR for 7 nights and drive into the city, or if we should stay at DLR for 3 nights and in Hollywood for the rest of the time. Mapquest says that it is only 1 hour from DLR to LA, but how long does it take in real time? Also, does anyone know how long the drive from DLR to Universal Studios takes? We are driving our own car from Toronto, ON Canada (5 days in the car :mickey:), so rental car fees are not an issue. Thanks for any help!!

faline
06-16-2009, 07:45 PM
The only question I can answer is travel time from Disneyland to Universal Studios. Studios is about 40 miles or so from Disneyland (which is a distance I travel daily to my office and which I generally expect will take 45 mintues to an hour). In California, we purposely waited until after the time one would expect for "rush hour" traffic and found our travel from Disneyland to Universal took about twice the time we would have expected - about 1-1/2 hours for about 40 miles! Yikes!

NotaGeek
06-16-2009, 07:53 PM
We are trying to decide if we should stay at DLR for 7 nights and drive into the city, or if we should stay at DLR for 3 nights and in Hollywood for the rest of the time. Mapquest says that it is only 1 hour from DLR to LA, but how long does it take in real time? Also, does anyone know how long the drive from DLR to Universal Studios takes? We are driving our own car from Toronto, ON Canada (5 days in the car :mickey:), so rental car fees are not an issue. Thanks for any help!!
Disneyland to Hollywood is about 45 minutes with no traffic, with traffic it can double.

Disneyland to Universal is 1-1.5 with no traffic and up to 2-2.5 with traffic.

Staying up in Hollywood is a great idea, there's tons to see and you will save on gas and travel time. :thumbsup:

hauntedmansiongirl
06-16-2009, 07:54 PM
After hearing such awful things about LA traffic, we figured that it would take twice as long as mapquest said- thanks so much for the info. :mickey:

Magic Smiles
06-17-2009, 06:58 AM
WOW, thanks for this question. I had been under the impression that it was a 45 minute drive. Will have to remember this when checking out of the Universal Hilton and checking into Disney's Grand Californian. I had been planning a 45 - 60 minute drive. We will now have to get up and out of LA earlier. I had also thought that if there was anything we had missed doing in LA, we could just hop over for a few hours and do it while staying in Disney. Will definitely have to plan better now.

Magic Smiles
06-24-2009, 08:42 PM
In California, we purposely waited until after the time one would expect for "rush hour" traffic and found our travel from Disneyland to Universal took about twice the time we would have expected - about 1-1/2 hours for about 40 miles! Yikes!

When is RUSH HOUR in LA? I know that ours at home here is approx 6:00 am to 8:00 am, but I don't imagine that to be the same for LA.

NotaGeek
06-24-2009, 10:56 PM
When is RUSH HOUR in LA? I know that ours at home here is approx 6:00 am to 8:00 am, but I don't imagine that to be the same for LA.
I think rush hour can happen 24 hours a day in LA ... but normally from about 5am-9am and 2:30pm -7pm is a good rule of thumb.

robnadina
06-25-2009, 03:25 PM
I think rush hour can happen 24 hours a day in LA ... but normally from about 5am-9am and 2:30pm -7pm is a good rule of thumb.

I would have to agree with NotaGeek's advice. Also remember that LA traffic has pockets of congestion. You can get on the freeway and be moving at top speed and all of a sudden hit gridlock. Then get thru the gridlock and start moving only to hit it again a couple miles up. When I have taken days off of work to go to Disney, I leave around 10:30 am (coming from Valencia, next to Magic Mountain) and will get there around 12:30-1.

Magic Smiles
08-13-2009, 12:42 AM
Today we drove from the Universal Hilton in Los Angeles (Hollywood) to Disneyland, Grand Californian. We left the Hilton at 11:00 am and arrived at the Grand Californian at 11:45. our GPS had originally estimated 35 minutes, so with traffic it only took us an additional 10 minutes.

glenpreece
08-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Today we drove from the Universal Hilton in Los Angeles (Hollywood) to Disneyland, Grand Californian. We left the Hilton at 11:00 am and arrived at the Grand Californian at 11:45. our GPS had originally estimated 35 minutes, so with traffic it only took us an additional 10 minutes.

That's good to hear. I want to got to Hollywood for the day etc and was hoping to drive. Now we will just wait til noon to drive there.