PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic - What's the rush?

Babe the Blue Ox
06-16-2009, 05:43 PM
I was at Hollywood Studios last Thursday evening. Park hours were until 10 pm with Fantasmic showing at 9 and 10:30.

I couldn't believe that people really started to line up at about 7 pm for the first show. To me, it looked like an extremely long wait in a very long line followed by a mad rush into the venue only to have an even longer wait in an extremely hot stadium.

After the show ended, there appeared to be another mad rush out of the stadium, down the street and out the gates.

My question: what's the rush to get out of the park so fast? These people honestly looked like they were late for something while trying to beat a path to the exit.

I went a rode Midway Mania a couple of more times late in the evening. The sign advertised a 70 minute wait but it was only about 20.

At about 10:20 or so, we strolled into the Fantasmic stadium and found several center section seats available is the place was less than half full.

After the show, we were able to easily make our way through and out of the empty park and hopped on the first tram waiting.

I still can figure out why so many take a simple process and make it so much more difficult than it needs to be.

EpcotNut
06-16-2009, 07:30 PM
I agree - Ive run into this phenomenon as well - never understood it...:yes:

dancin Disney style
06-16-2009, 07:38 PM
I think the problem is that right now the show is limited and so many people want to see it. When we go we usually leave right before it ends to get out to the bus ahead of the crowd.

It makes sense that the 10:30 show would not be as crowded. There are a lot of people with young kids that just can't last that long.

DizneyRox
06-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Yep, as two hour wait for the first show is typical.

Hurry up and wait!

Imagineer1981
06-17-2009, 11:29 AM
We take full advantage of that and go ride most attractions several times since half the park gets sucked into that early show. Then they all leave afterwards which is even better!!!

joonyer
06-17-2009, 12:41 PM
It's the crowd/mob mentality; part of our human nature. If there are a lot of people in any one area, then most everyone wants to be where they perceive the best location to be (front of the line, etc.) That's why people leave ball games before they are over. Got to be first out of the parking lot, even though in the long run it really doesn't matter. At Fantasmic (and other Disney shows), I think people (especially the ones who've never seen it before) think they have to have a front row seat, no matter what to enjoy the show, when the truth is, you could probably wait until right before the show starts, walk right in and sit in the back and enjoy the show just as much. In my opinion, Fantasmic is not worth waiting hours for to get a front row seat anyway. It's just not that good.

Disney Doll
06-17-2009, 01:45 PM
The long wait for the 1st show is common. Lots of families choose the earlier show so they can leave early and get the kids in bed. I always see the mad rush to get out of the parks. I assume it's a rush to get in line for buses since bus lines can be very long at the end of the night. I agree though. Fantasmic is not worth the long wait and you really don't need a front row seat to have a good view.

MOJoe
06-17-2009, 04:07 PM
If the Thursday you are referring to was the 11th, then Epcot had Extra Magic Hours that night. That could explain the mad dash.

TheRustyScupper
06-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Yep, as two hour wait for the first show is typical. Hurry up and wait!

1) And, if you don't get there 90-min ahead of time, you wait to hurry up.
2) Then, usually not get a seat.

Babe the Blue Ox
04-17-2012, 11:12 PM
I've been out of the loop for awhile. Do folks sill wait way too long for Fantasmic?

K8screen
04-18-2012, 04:14 AM
I didnt notice this was a resurrected thread, so I was really pleased that Fantasmic was running twice nightly again! I was SSOOOOO disappointed whe I checked the dates on the posts and realised it wasnt.
Those were the days!!! :(

TheVBs
04-18-2012, 11:11 AM
We were there end of Sept./beginning of Oct. 2011. The day we were in HS there were two showings of Fantasmic. We saw the first one, but didn't wait in line. We just walked in about 20 minutes before the show started. They were filling the seats from right to left (as you face the stage), not front to back. So we ended up just a few rows back on the left hand side. Great view! When we left there was a HUGE line for the 2nd show. I'm sure there was one for the first show as well, we just didn't feel the need to waste time waiting in it. This was our first time seeing Fantasmic and even though it was our only opportunity to see it on that trip, we still felt it was worth missing if we had to stand in a line for a crazy amount of time.

DVC2004
04-18-2012, 11:51 AM
I know, I don't get this either. Everyone wants to be first and get the best seats. Alot of people are also worried they won't get in at all. Many guidebooks forewarn to come early.

We usually skip most shows and don't line up for parades or stake out a spot. Our feeling is we've seen it, and if we happen to be walking by when the parade starts we might stop and hang back (not go in front of someone who's been waiting!) and watch for a few minutes then move on. Mostly because it never seems to fail - how long you wait, your order in line, etc. there's always people that push their way ahead of you as soon as it's time to move through the doors or take their family of 10 including 2 strollers right infront of you just as the parade starts.

So, we just go on our way and enjoy the rides.

Cinderelley
04-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Last time I was there, I took a friend of mine who had never been. Originally we had booked the Fantasmic Dinner Package, but he wanted to do some things over forcing a change of plans. Cancelling the dinner package wasn't a biggie, but we did go to DHS on a different night. He took one look at the line and said "they should change the name to Masstasmic". lol

Eric87
04-21-2012, 02:16 PM
It's the crowd/mob mentality; part of our human nature. If there are a lot of people in any one area, then most everyone wants to be where they perceive the best location to be (front of the line, etc.) That's why people leave ball games before they are over. Got to be first out of the parking lot, even though in the long run it really doesn't matter. At Fantasmic (and other Disney shows), I think people (especially the ones who've never seen it before) think they have to have a front row seat, no matter what to enjoy the show, when the truth is, you could probably wait until right before the show starts, walk right in and sit in the back and enjoy the show just as much. In my opinion, Fantasmic is not worth waiting hours for to get a front row seat anyway. It's just not that good.
I agree with this. I've been by the line when the masses started to gather and management has come out to say there is no need to that there will be plenty of seats. As for the rush for folks to ger out, I think it comes down to families with little ones who want to get to the buses without a wait. This is a prime opportunity to hit all the big name attractions in my opinion.

Jared
04-21-2012, 05:24 PM
The Fantasmic! line is a truly fascinating phenomenon. Some psychologists out there could have a lot of fun with it, I bet. I have never understood why people needlessly spend two hours of their day waiting for a show that is housed in a gigantic theater. There isn't a bad view in that place. Many times, I have strolled in a few minutes before showtime, sat in the back or on an end and enjoyed.

Then again, I wouldn't wait 90 minutes for anything at Disney. Nothing is worth that.

KatrinaJ91
04-23-2012, 09:47 AM
I agree...we have seen the show many times, but have never stood in line for it. We usually just head in about 10-15 minutes before showtime. We have always gotten a seat and can see the show no matter where we sit! There is too much to do and see to stand in line for that length of time!!

divinedi
04-23-2012, 12:27 PM
We don't wait long anymore either....we love the show, and have never had any trouble getting in or getting good seats. Now I appreciate that I don't have small children anymore, but we always take our time getting out, let the hurriers go first, take in the sights, shops etc. I'm on vacation....easy does it!

Snow's Mom
05-12-2012, 11:34 AM
When there are two shows, we go to the second one. Tried the first one a couple of times, turned away at 30 and 45 minutes out. Not willing to wait for longer than that. We actually made a special trip back to the park just to go to the late Fantasmic showing. Worked out well.

As to the mad rush, who wants to be at the end of the transportation line? You end up waiting in line for buses for a long time. So, people high-tail it out of the parks.

texas211
05-12-2012, 11:31 PM
I do it, to a) make sure i get to see the show. As far as leaving, i've been there like 12 hr or so, sat the last 3, and ready to go back to the hotel. Faster I get to the buses, the faster that will happen. Plus, early to the buses, better chance of getting one before midnight.

K8screen
05-18-2012, 05:34 AM
If you have the dinner package and there are 2 shows that night, which one do you have to go to, or can you choose? We reserved the package when it looked like only one performance that night.

EJS-Houston
05-29-2012, 12:57 PM
I was at Hollywood Studios last Thursday evening. Park hours were until 10 pm with Fantasmic showing at 9 and 10:30.

I couldn't believe that people really started to line up at about 7 pm for the first show. To me, it looked like an extremely long wait in a very long line followed by a mad rush into the venue only to have an even longer wait in an extremely hot stadium.

After the show ended, there appeared to be another mad rush out of the stadium, down the street and out the gates.

My question: what's the rush to get out of the park so fast? These people honestly looked like they were late for something while trying to beat a path to the exit.

I went a rode Midway Mania a couple of more times late in the evening. The sign advertised a 70 minute wait but it was only about 20.

At about 10:20 or so, we strolled into the Fantasmic stadium and found several center section seats available is the place was less than half full.

After the show, we were able to easily make our way through and out of the empty park and hopped on the first tram waiting.

I still can figure out why so many take a simple process and make it so much more difficult than it needs to be.

They're sheep. And you're exactly right...there really aren't many (if any) bad seats in that theater, so to rush to get there and sit for hours in order to get the "best" seats is a futile effort.

texas211
05-29-2012, 06:59 PM
They're sheep. And you're exactly right...there really aren't many (if any) bad seats in that theater, so to rush to get there and sit for hours in order to get the "best" seats is a futile effort.

I'd think its just to make sure to g3t A seat. Even though there arent bad seats, some are better than others.

MickeysBestPal
05-29-2012, 08:00 PM
If you have the dinner package and there are 2 shows that night, which one do you have to go to, or can you choose? We reserved the package when it looked like only one performance that night.

F! Dining Package is always only valid for the first show of the evening.

ransam
05-30-2012, 11:18 AM
i always have found that even a seat in the back is a good seat, maybe better than front.
Not to mention it's quicker to get out as well....
but i can i have never ever been in a hurry to get out.

badkitty
05-30-2012, 02:56 PM
I've been to DHS several times and the first showing was to capacity and it still was 30 minutes to showtime! Even "standing room only" was full. This wasn't a holiday or peak season either.