PDA

View Full Version : Epcot/Living Seas/Dive Quest

imaprincess!
06-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Has anyone ever done any of the scuba/snorkel programs at the Living Seas? I was thinking of getting my husband signed up for DiveQuest as a birthday present. He is a certified scuba diver and for those who aren't familiar, this program would allow him to dive in the aquarium.

:diver:

dmosher
06-15-2009, 04:36 PM
I did the Divequest Program a some time ago so it may have changed, but I doubt it.
It was very cool by the way. I have been diving for years and have visited dive sites around the world and I still enjoyed it. When you get there, you are briefed on the marine life, and habitats in the aquarium, etc. After all of that, you go to the locker room, get into your wet suit, then pick up your gear at the pool.
You will have picked a dive buddy for the trip and are advised to stay with them the entire time. Otherwise, after a brief once around, you are free to explore the area, play with the tourists walking by or eating at the restaurant, etc. During this time, there are usually people shooting you with video.
Once it is over, you get a debriefing and are given the opportunity to get a copy of the video (probably DVD now) and (at the time) a free T-Shirt.
If he likes diving it is a very cool thing to do and seeing all of those species in one place is worth it alone.
:pipes:
D

sagitarius
06-15-2009, 05:12 PM
I've done both Dive quest and Aqua tour. Dive quest is great! Perfect visibility and tons of wildlife. It truly is a great time interacting with the guests on the other side of the glass and getting up close with sharks, sea turtles and other species all at the same time. In my opinion, it is a must do. He'll have a great time, guaranteed!:thumbsup:

Tick-Tock
06-15-2009, 06:08 PM
We enjoyed DiveQuest so much we did it again on another trip! A lot of the cost is donated to conservation, so that made me feel better about spending the money. It's so fun to interact with the folks on the other side of the glass!

garymacd
06-15-2009, 09:28 PM
I did DiveQuest about three years ago and loved it. I haven't had much of a chance to dive over the past - hmmm, twenty years - so this was a nice, safe way back in.

Interacting with kids in the restaurant was great, but the best experience was shortly after I got in the water. A shark swam right by face piece from behind me! I didn't see it coming until it was nearly in front of me.

Freaky.

imaprincess!
06-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks! This is very good to hear. Sounds like I'll get it for him! Okay, I'm not a diver and I know he hasn't been for a while. Does he need to do anything to recertify in order to participate in the program?

Also, how is the snorkeling? I know my kids would love this. What an experience to remember.

:diver:

NicksNitro
06-16-2009, 09:46 AM
My wife and I just did it in Feb. I posted a detailed report in the trip report section. It truly is a must see for divers!!!:cloud9:

Mickey'sGirl
06-16-2009, 09:59 AM
My DH did DiveQuest a few years ago (pre-kids) and LOVED it. My brother and I hung around and got to see him swimming around the tank (and George Forman filming a commercial...but that's another story). He is signed up to make another Dive in August when we are down (a Birthday present), and my kids can't wait to see him!

We have also made reservations for DH and DS11 to do the Seas AquaTour (the snorkelling adventure) the week before (DS is not certified). They are so pumped, I'm sure your husband would be thrilled too!

sisterdisco
06-16-2009, 09:11 PM
My DH has done Dive quest twice, and loves it. He recommends it as a must do for anyone who is open water certified.
Our dive shop recommends it to anyone who is going to WDW.

My 10yo son just got his open water certification last w/e and is going to do Dive QUest in AUgust.

One of the divers at DIve Quest told us that local divers come routinely on weekends to dive it.

Tick-Tock
06-16-2009, 10:11 PM
My 10yo son just got his open water certification last w/e and is going to do Dive QUest in AUgust.

Have you already reserved and know that he can do it? Intercot Info Central says you have to be 16 to do DiveQuest.

sisterdisco
06-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks Tick-Tock.
I double checked just to make sure......
On the Disneyworld website under tours, it says the minimum age is 10. In addition, 14 and under have to dive w/ a parent.

Info central here does say 16.

poeticeclipse
06-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Last May, my husband and I did the Aqua Tour where you "snuba" insteading of full on diving. We both aren't certified but always wanted to so we thought it'd be a good idea just to try "Snuba" before we spend all the money to get certified to dive.

We had the best time and would do it again in a heartbeat if we had the extra cash. It's similar to SCUBA in the sense that you have a regulator and a tank but its like snorkeling because you can't dive down. You're basically wearing a floatation device that doesn't allow you to dive below the water. You'll feel almost fully emersed but you won't be. You do get tons of action with most of the aquatic life despite not diving down. The sharks and grouper stay towards the bottom while the rays, tarpon, and smaller fish are very friendly. The sea turtles will also come close but if they do you are to not extend your arms and make contact. They are endangered and you are required to sign a form saying you will not make contact with them. As far as I know, the tour itself is exactly the same for both the Aqua Tour and DiveQuest, the only thing different is the dive. Guests can still see the "Snuba" swimmers so interaction is still fun even if you aren't right at the windows.

gregburg
06-23-2009, 06:46 PM
This is a must do for divers. I'm up to 11 times now, thank goodness for the Disney Visa discount.

You get to go behind the scenes. There is a great walking tour of the facility
The environment - sharks, fish, sharks, turtles, rays, sharks... you get the drift
The kids and adults on the dry side. Playing rock/paper/scisors is lots of fun.

My personal best dive was when Mickey was in the water with us at the same time. I have a video of him shaking hands with me under water. (Note this is pretty rare).

Enjoy!

Tick-Tock
06-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks Tick-Tock.
I double checked just to make sure......
On the Disneyworld website under tours, it says the minimum age is 10. In addition, 14 and under have to dive w/ a parent.

Info central here does say 16.

Oh good, I'm so glad that he can go!