PDA

View Full Version : RE: Wilderness Lodge

M Riddle
06-15-2009, 05:21 AM
We have reserved a standard view room at the Wilderness Lodge. Is it worth the extra money to upgrade to a courtyard view???? Thank you.

MissTink
06-15-2009, 05:37 AM
In my opinion, no. But only because of our last stay... me, mom and daughter went down first and checked into standard room on 6th floor facing the magic kingdom, saw fireworks every night. The next day my sister and her family checked into a courtyard view room also, by chance, on the 6th floor right up the hall, the view was beautiful, dont get me wrong, but they were rarely in the room to enjoy it. The next day my boyfriend checked in and we tried to get him on the 6th floor standard room as well but there wasnt anything available so he was put in a king room on the first floor facing the pool. THAT was the best of the 3 and he paid for a standard!

M Riddle
06-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Thank you MissTink. Being on the first floor and by the pool was it noisy? Also, on the 6th floor was that an enclosed balcony? Do you think we could see the fireworks if we were able to get a 5th floor room?

VWL Mom
06-15-2009, 09:18 AM
These are the descriptions from another site that I found: There are 3 room views available. The Standard View generally faces the parking lot or driveway and sometimes the roof; the Woods View faces the woods towards the MK (no view of MK-maybe a glimpse of a monorail) on one side and the Wilderness Lodge Villas on the other side; the Courtyard View looks out over one of the pools or Bay Lake.

IMO if you want to guarantee a view, then book it. If it is a slow time they may upgrade a standard to another one of the views but don't go down expecting it. Consider it magic when it does.

Goofeygal
06-15-2009, 09:49 AM
We stayed at WL once and reserved a standerd view room. When we checked in we were up graded to a pool view. Dont know why and didn't ask LOL. I have heard this does happen once in awhile with resorts. You just can't count on it.

pox24
06-15-2009, 10:25 AM
I tell this story alot. Our first ever stay at the WL was in a standard room facing the CR and overlooking a retention pond and the smokehouse. Every day the scent of the smoked meats made us eat 10 times more than we should have. It probably wasn't the best view of all but boy it was the most aromatic. I had disney dreams of giant smoked babybacks chasing us down Main Street USA!:D

M Riddle
06-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Thank you everyone. I appreciate the information and the chuckles. :thumbsup: :rocks:

Figment78
06-15-2009, 11:08 AM
It really depends on how much time you plan to spend sitting on your balcony. If you are the type to return to the room for an afternoon break or nap for kids and you plan to sit out on your balcony or sit out there at night- then the view may matter. I personally enjoy the courtyard view, but we have stayed in Woods view more. If you are looking to people watch out over the pool area, courtyard is it. However, the courtyard view rooms also can look out over the quiet pool of the WL villas, so there is no guarantee.

Side note: When we were there in March, we had a ctyd view and could hear the MK fireworks but not see them. I think people in other views might have been able to see them.

If you don't plan to use the balcony that much, then it really won't matter too much.

d_m_n_n
06-17-2009, 12:11 PM
We have stayed in a Woods view and a Courtyard view. If you pay the extra for the courtyard, make sure you specify the main pool area (and hope you receive it). Our courtyard view was of the quiet pool if you cocked your head just right...definitely not worth the extra $$$. :( I agree with Figment78. If you don't plan on hanging out on the balcony, I would stick with the standard view.