PDA

View Full Version : extinct rides

crltkcagle
06-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Is there a master list of all extinct rides? If so where can I find it? If not what extinct rides/attractions/shows do you know of?

joonyer
06-15-2009, 01:59 AM
There are several web-sites devoted to extinct WDW and DL attractions. Just Google "Disney extinct attractions" and you'll find them. One of them I have seen is called Walt Dated World.

DigitalDaredevil
06-15-2009, 05:29 AM
Lucky for us fans of the extinct attractions, there are plenty of websites that document the rides, recreate the rides through computer animation, and sites that compile and sell video on attractions.
I have felt that Disney would be smart to make a detailed documentary video on every attraction before it closed to keep it for the archives and for the fans' sentimentality.

crltkcagle
06-15-2009, 10:58 AM
ok I will go google away. thanks

Scott C
06-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Lucky for us fans of the extinct attractions, there are plenty of websites that document the rides, recreate the rides through computer animation, and sites that compile and sell video on attractions.
I have felt that Disney would be smart to make a detailed documentary video on every attraction before it closed to keep it for the archives and for the fans' sentimentality.

Why would they possibly do that--to remind us of how good things used to be.
I am sure that they must have video records of all of the old attractions somewhere. I know I would gladly pay for an "official" release.

Thanks
Scott C

bruin1344
06-15-2009, 12:55 PM
wikipedia.com has great references to extinct attractions. Just type in the park and click the part of the park and it will list extinct rides (example: magic kingdom then click fantasyland)

DigitalDaredevil
06-16-2009, 02:42 AM
Scott C, I would also pay for a professional and official release. I guess we have to make do with what is out there.
I love the parks, and although I do not always agree with what Disney does to upgrade the attractions, I understand that progress is important.

TheRustyScupper
06-16-2009, 06:45 AM
I understand that progress is important.

1) Absolutely.
2) It is positively magical to improve attractions.
. . . 20,000 Leagues for a tiny playground
. . . nothing important for American Idol
. . . Wonders of Life for nothing at all
. . . Keel Boats for nothing at all
. . . nothing important for Stitch
. . . Animation for nothing at all
. . . etc

Forgot to mention the NEW stitch show area. Just 6-wks after it opens it closes.

johnO
06-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Yeah there's been some poor choices made. I'll have to agree with Rusty, 20,000 leagues for a play area was unwise to put it nicely.

crltkcagle
06-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Does anyone know why they got rid of the skyway? I dont see what the point was in getting rid of that ride????????

joonyer
06-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Does anyone know why they got rid of the skyway? I dont see what the point was in getting rid of that ride????????

Several reasons probably all contributed to the closure of the skyway.

1. It was very low capacity, very slow loading and had to stop completely to load disabled riders. And wheelchairs would not fit into the normal cars. (ADA compliance problems)

2. A CM (maintenance worker) was killed when he was swept off the loading platform by a car when the ride was inadvertently started at the wrong time. (OSHA problems)

3. There were constant problems with (stupid & thoughtless) people throwing items/splitting from the cars on crowds walking directly below. (behavior enforcement problems)

I think Disney just decided it was simpler to remove it altogether.

Imagineer1981
06-16-2009, 11:30 AM
I do agree Disney could put together a documentry or a list or even an audio cd of extinct rides. I feel there are plenty of disney fans that would pay for that. Most of the time, rides were replaced for a good reason, sometimes they are not

joelkfla
06-17-2009, 01:09 AM
Complete soundtracks of several extinct DL attractions are included on the Disneyland 50th Anniversary CD set. I was just listening to "Adventure Thru Inner Space" (Sooo 50's SciFi!) and the original COP (including the Progress City post-show.)

Also all 3 versions of Country Bears. "Vacation Hoedown" is easily the most fun.