PDA

View Full Version : In the interest of research

thumperbug
06-14-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm a Disney vacation planner...I love what I do....but with all the planning for everyone else I do I want to plan for myself...so I decided after my friend sent me a pic of herself drinking a Grand Mariner Orange Slush from France at Epcot that I HAVE to plan another vacation. We were planning to save our DVC points for a Disney cruise in 2011 but waiting that long for a Disney fix is not realistic.

So, since I will not be using DVC points for the trip and will be paying for accomodations...I decided perhaps I should try a resort I have not stayed at before not only for a new experience for myself, but also in the interest of research so I can tell my clients about it.

My top 2 resorts to try are Animal Kingdom and Poly. Next are Coronado Springs and Port Orleans.

Ok fellow intercot posters...lets hear your thoughts good and bad on the these.

Thanks!

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-14-2009, 02:05 PM
CSR is one of my favorite resorts. The bus transportation is awesome. We've never had to wait more than 10 mins. The Pepper Market is one of the best food courts in Disney. The resort is beautiful, quiet and very relaxing.

deedeebee
06-14-2009, 02:07 PM
We absolutely love the Poly when it's not our money and POR when it is our money. POR is our home away from home, the landscaping is outstanding, the food court is one of our favorites and the bus system has not been bad at the time of year we have stayed there. I should say that traveling by bus to get to a park is not bad but leaving a park is awful. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

TheRustyScupper
06-14-2009, 06:25 PM
I decided after my friend sent me a pic of herself drinking a Grand Mariner Orange Slush from France at Epcot that I HAVE to plan another vacation.

1) Or, you can have them buy another one.
2) Put in on dry ice.
3) FEDEX to your house.
4) Get your fix for a lot less money.

Aero
06-14-2009, 06:45 PM
CSR is what we miss most about being DVC members. We absolutely love the resort. It's beautiful, and has been our favorite so far. And you'll see we've been to quite a few, if you check my sig, below.

- Aero

Disneyfun
06-14-2009, 08:07 PM
I would say Poly all the way. While I have not stayed there, I feel that I have spent so much time there in the past that I might as well have been a guest at the resort!

The fact that the views are great, it's on the monorail, and it is one of the original resorts at WDW are huge in my book. It is way expensive though.

Best thing - Dole Whips at Captain Cook's almost whenever you want them!

mouseketeer mom
06-14-2009, 08:23 PM
2) Put in on dry ice.
3) FEDEX to your house.

hahahaha!!! Too funny. Agreed!

But..if you have to go...And its in the interest of research, I'd go and do a split stay between the Poly and AKL. We've done plenty of split stays in the interest of research (my own!)..Over and over we agree the Poly is the best for us. It's just right, nothing else feels as good. The theming, the food, the whole "feel" of the place.

princessimagineer
06-14-2009, 09:07 PM
gotta love when you can say "no this isnt a vacation, its in the interest of research!"

love poly. perfect location and setting. ive never stayed at AKL, but ive eaten Boma every trip for a long time, and i loveee the atmosphere, but its soo off the loop out there in its own little AK world. i feel like both of these resorts are similar in atmosphere, just one is african and the other polynesian.

OogieBoogieMan
06-14-2009, 09:41 PM
In so far as Poly and AKL are concerned it becomes a question of atmosphere versus convenience in my mind. Both AKL and Poly have plenty to offer in the atmosphere department and I somewhat reluctantly give the edge to AKL since it is hard to compete with zebras outside your balcony in the morning. That being said, it isn't the greatest from a transportation standpoint and doesn't come close to Poly, which has access to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot by monorail. You have to look at what is important to you.

We didn't like CSR at all. I think we are fairly open minded about the resorts but we found it to be a major step down from the deluxe resorts and would be unlikely to stay there again. In any case, it isn't in the same league as Poly or AKL.

thumperbug
06-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks everyone for their input...As for Rustys post....I wish I had thought of that while my friend was still there...but I am not sure I would trust her to ship it to me without drinking it first...lol.

If the price is right (when 2010 pricing arrives) I am going for the Poly. I love the monorail access and being able to walk to GF if I want...The theme has never been a big appeal for me there but I feel I need to try it.

If the price isn't so right then I think we are going to go with CSR. I have heard from others that they had good experiences there. The transportation at any of the resorts is what it is.

I will keep everyone posted on my "research" project.

grumpydude
06-21-2009, 08:10 PM
the POLY is cool because it is a monorail resort, How cool is that
:number1:

Figment78
06-22-2009, 11:11 AM
I agree with your choice of the Poly. We are "trying out" AKL this December, but since you are a DVC member, you can use your points at AKV some day in the future and not have to pay cash. Since you're paying cash, I would go with the Polynesian... and just hope for a discount ;)

PixieMagic
06-22-2009, 02:16 PM
I would say Poly for sure. Not just because it is my favorite resort, but because I find a lot of people have hesitations about staying there - thinking it may be "too cheesy". If you are also looking from a research standpoint this may be important....

PS - How can I get your job?? Ha ha! Seriously I have been looking into this before you posted and when I saw this I was like OMG! AMAZING! Ha ha!

garymacd
06-23-2009, 09:02 AM
2) Put in on dry ice.
3) FEDEX to your house.

Did you ever see the M*A*S*H* episode where Hawkeye and Trapper John ordered 40 pounds of spare ribs and a quart of sauce from Adam's Rib (apparently, it does exist. Reviews in Dining, anyone?) in Chicago and had it shipped as medical supplies?

If that holds true here, I think you better send more than one!