PDA

View Full Version : US Open is invading my town

pink
06-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally I was all for boosting the town's current economic situation by having it host the US Open this year, but now I'm having second thoughts.

The open hasn't even started yet but for the past two days I've had swarms of media and fans conjesting my block to get a look at Tiger Woods and Justin Timberlake. Not to mention the security measures the police are going through so that celebrities can get through safe and sound down my block.

This open is not only going to make my home life more diffulcult but also going to school and work is going to become a full production. On a normal day it would take me 15 minutes to get to both but with these road closings (basically every main road in our town) it's going to take me almost 45 minutes to get to work and school.

Long story short, not happy.
Thanks for letting me vent. :mickey:

mickey&missy
06-13-2009, 03:46 PM
I feel your pain! When it was in Southampton a few years ago, 04 I think, It was a nightmare on the south fork! We live on the North Fork but I worked on the south side at that time and it was complete and utter chaos and torture!

Remember, it will only last a week or so and then they'll be gone!

Good luck getting through the week!

Jared
06-13-2009, 05:55 PM
The same happened down here in 2006 when the US Open was at Winged Food in Mamaroneck. It's definitely a pain, but it's also pretty cool. The traffic was unbearable at times, but it'll be over soon. It's a neat event and worthwhile every few years. Or every decade.

Alligirl
06-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Good Luck!! Driving the LIE today from Syosset to get home to Babylon I spotted the "parking this way" signs! But like they said it won't last too long!

EPCOT84
06-13-2009, 10:34 PM
As I recall, Bethpage Black hosted the US Open in 2002 so for Pink's (the poster above) neighborhood, its 'here we go again'. Probaly lots of Tiger coverage because Tiger won there last time.

Oh yes, sporting event traffic can be a nightmare but its only one week. School and work should keep this in mind and yes, leave early if you can.

pink
06-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm trying to stay positive. The open is actually right across the street from my house so it's diffulcult to try and ignore it.

We also have parades of people marching up and down my block which makes our dogs go crazy each time. Not to mention, the cars that are driving 60 mph in a 20 mph zone which worries me they might hit one of our outdoor cats or hurts themselves.

We actually put a sign in the street that has a picture of Tiger Woods and says "Slow Down Tiger XNG" it seems to be giving people a little giggle when walking by and the drivers tend to slow down. :mickey:

ElenitaB
06-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Hey, Pink! I didn't realize that you were from my old stomping grounds! My brother used to caddy at Bethpage. (I'm a Farmingdale H.S. alumna.) Small world, huh?

EPCOT84
06-15-2009, 10:34 PM
We actually put a sign in the street that has a picture of Tiger Woods and says "Slow Down Tiger XNG" it seems to be giving people a little giggle when walking by and the drivers tend to slow down. :mickey:

That is hilarious. I hope I get to see the sign on the tv coverage ! My gosh to be right across the street, that is something. Do you get stray balls flying into your front yard?

Alligirl
06-16-2009, 01:04 AM
The drive home from work today was worse due to the open. I tried taking Rt. 110 from work in Dix Hills to home in Babylon, don't know what I was thinking!!!!:confused::( I can't imagine having it all at my front door!

pink
06-16-2009, 06:24 PM
The drive home from work today was worse due to the open. I tried taking Rt. 110 from work in Dix Hills to home in Babylon, don't know what I was thinking!!!! I can't imagine having it all at my front door!

I feel your pain. I'm forced to take Rt. 110 because they closed all of my usual back roads. I will all be over soon.

That is hilarious. I hope I get to see the sign on the tv coverage ! My gosh to be right across the street, that is something. Do you get stray balls flying into your front yard?

I'm glad you liked it, everyone seems to be getting a kick out of it. People take pictures and video of it all day long so maybe it will! We are across the street from the entrance, not that close to the actual green so not close enough to get our hands on a stray ball.

Hey, Pink! I didn't realize that you were from my old stomping grounds! My brother used to caddy at Bethpage. (I'm a Farmingdale H.S. alumna.) Small world, huh?

Yes indeed it is a small world, that's so wierd! I didn't graduate from Farmingdale H.S. but I did attend there one year. :mickey: