PDA

View Full Version : Should I give my parents my paycheck?

pink
06-13-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm 19 and currently my family is going through a financial struggle. My dad is constantly stressed over his pile of never-ending bills and they haven't made it a secret that we are in debt. Our central AC unit just broke and water is leaking through our roof. We have never been in debt before.

I feel that as one of the adults in the house I should step up and give them my paycheck. I don't make much, only about $300 every two weeks but at this point I think anything could help.

However, I don't know how to approach them about giving them the money. I don't want to hurt their feelings by making them feel like their child has to help them but I feel terrible with it just sitting in the bank collecting dust.

What should I do? :mickey:

SBETigg
06-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Speaking as a parent, I would be very touched and proud of you for making the offer, but I wouldn't take your money. I think that's pretty much the way it might go down. They may need it enough to accept, or to accept a small portion. But my instinct says that they'll probably be happy that you have some income of your own to set aside for your own needs.

I would approach it by simply telling them that that you would like to contribute to the household now that you're an adult, and would they accept a portion of your earnings to contribute to household expenses? Then see what they say. I don't think it's insulting for you to offer, or that it says anything against them at all. I see it as a responsible step toward adulthood for you.

Dixie Springs
06-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Ditto's on SBETigg's reply.

Itchy
06-13-2009, 01:39 PM
If the world only had a lot more young adults like you it would be great.

Your parents should be very proud of you, I know that I would be.:thumbsup:

PiratesCove
06-13-2009, 02:40 PM
I've helped my family before and they were VERY happy to get the help.

I think it's great that you want to help your parents with their money troubles. I would more or less insist on them taking your help until they get back on their feet. I'm sure if the tables were turned, they would do they same for you!

I'm proud of you for acting much older than you are!:thumbsup:

mickey&missy
06-13-2009, 02:42 PM
:hug:Wow! The fact that you've thought to do this to help your family out is absolutely wonderful!

I agree with SBETigg, as a parent, I would be so, so proud of you for offering! I don't think they'll be hurt and they don't have to take it if they don't feel they should or don't think they should. But the fact that you would offer is amazing!

Good luck and I hope things work out!! :hug:

dizneefan67
06-13-2009, 03:34 PM
I am 42 and on disability for health reasons, but I would gladly give up what I could to help my parents out in financial trouble. I am proud of you for even thinking of this, I would have to ECHO the other posts and say, at least make the offer. Your parents supported you throughout your years growing up and here is a time that you can show them what a great job they did by making this offer. :thumbsup:
Most parents, including my own will probably say to keep your money, but the fact is you were raised THE RIGHT WAY! and cannot see anyone in turmoil. You ARE an inspiration to others, young and old alike! You should be proud of your parents for the job they did in raising you! I hope you never loose that part of you where you care for others like you are demonstrating here!

~GOOD LUCK~

Will:mickey:

kakn7294
06-13-2009, 04:11 PM
That's a really sweet offer and I'm sure your parents must be proud of raising such a wonderful person. When I graduated from college and was making my first significant money, I helped my parents out with their bills. I just told them that I lived there too and wanted to pay my way now that I was making money.

Hull-onian
06-14-2009, 09:59 AM
I think that you are very generous with your offer. When I was a kid growing up, I got my first job babysitting for fifty-cents an hour. So I baby sat, let's say, four hours, I would give my Mom $1.00 for room and board, and I had a dollar left over. With that, if I needed to board the bus for 15 cents I had the 15 cents busfare. That left me with 85 cents. Then on Fridays at school, I could treat myself to a school lunch of tuna fish and chips for .25 cents. Then I still had money left over, then by Saturday night, it was time to baby sit again, and that by helping my Mom with $4.00 a month, paying my own expenses, I was able to have a savings account. Also, we went to the movies on Saturday afternnon for .25 cents and got candy for .10 cents. So yes, try and pay some room & board,

last real pirate
06-14-2009, 09:58 PM
i think it is great that you want to help your family and i hope other young people may read your post and be inspired to help where they can. with the economy in the shape it is in, lots of families are having to pull together and help one another. if they will not accept your money then maybe they will let you pick up a household bill for a few months (water, cable, gas, etc). i am sure every little bit helps.:thumbsup:

disneyboundagain
06-14-2009, 10:41 PM
As everyone else has stated, your thoughts are very honorable. Here's what I would do: don't say anything to your parents. Just go to the grocery store and buy as much food as you can afford. If you can, fill the refrigerator, fill the shelves. That way, they won't be able to turn you down, and you will helping with their financial situation.

Stitchahula
06-15-2009, 08:19 AM
When I graduated high school and got a job full time, I started to pay rent. It wasn't a lot but it was something. I wouldn't give them the whole check but some of it towards rent. I know too many people that think that their parents owe them, it's nice to see someone think about their parents.

VWL Mom
06-15-2009, 09:20 AM
As everyone else has stated, your thoughts are very honorable. Here's what I would do: don't say anything to your parents. Just go to the grocery store and buy as much food as you can afford. If you can, fill the refrigerator, fill the shelves. That way, they won't be able to turn you down, and you will helping with their financial situation.

Excellent idea :thumbsup:

Mickey'sGirl
06-15-2009, 09:29 AM
When I graduated high school and got a job full time, I started to pay rent. It wasn't a lot but it was something. I wouldn't give them the whole check but some of it towards rent. I know too many people that think that their parents owe them, it's nice to see someone think about their parents.
A great proposal. The four of us paid rent to live at home once we started working. They used that money to do "extra" things to the house.

If your parents are keen on the rent thing, what about offering to pay to have the AC fixed?

offwego
06-15-2009, 10:43 AM
I agree that a reasonable amount of rent based on your income is a good idea (vs your whole check which would no doubt lead you to have to go back for some for expenses and transportation etc)>
I also paid rent when I lived at home and was working. My mom was divorced by then and it was just the best solution vs living on my own at that time. Be aware though that it's unlikely to become temporary in those circumstances, I paid rent until I moved out which was fairly close to when my mother was ready to sell that home and move in with her now husband.

pink
06-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Thank you everyone, you all just made my day. :)

I was so unsure about whether or not to offer my money because I know they're adament about me saving it so I don't know how they would feel about my paying rent but I love the idea to go grocery shopping or fix the AC for them.

Thanks again, I know I can always count on all of you. :mickey:

TiggeRia
06-15-2009, 09:34 PM
I think that's the honorable thing to do--not necessarily all of the paycheck, but a portion. Once I graduated college and started working full time, I paid monthly room and board until I moved out (8 years later!) which was based on my salary. It was much cheaper than living on my own and I know it certainly helped my parents out with day to day expenses.

Patty
06-20-2009, 08:36 PM
if they will not accept your money then maybe they will let you pick up a household bill for a few months (water, cable, gas, etc). i am sure every little bit helps.:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: great idea

:thumbsup: Really love this one. Not having to worry about groceries is not only a huge savings but can really take a load off your stress level!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Your parents should be commended on raising such a fine person. It's very refreshing that you would think to help out on your own with no prompting from anyone. I'm sure they'll appreciate any help you care to give them.

pink
06-21-2009, 01:28 PM
I could have sworn that I responded to this thread but it's I couldn't find anything.

My parents have always been adament about me saving my money so they would never accept me paying room and board. I'm going to take the food shopping advice, I think my mom will especially appreciate not only saving the money but also saving her the trip to the food store.

We also have had the US Open at our house this whole week and since we live literally next door we started renting out our driveway to guests. We have been doing it for 7 days and already have over $1,000. I've been managing the whole parking thing going on and I think that money will really help them too.

Thanks again everyone!:mickey:

SBETigg
06-21-2009, 01:43 PM
I could have sworn that I responded to this thread but it's I couldn't find anything.

My parents have always been adament about me saving my money so they would never accept me paying room and board. I'm going to take the food shopping advice, I think my mom will especially appreciate not only saving the money but also saving her the trip to the food store.

We also have had the US Open at our house this whole week and since we live literally next door we started renting out our driveway to guests. We have been doing it for 7 days and already have over $1,000. I've been managing the whole parking thing going on and I think that money will really help them too.

Thanks again everyone!:mickey:

How cool to be close to the US Open! What a great money-maker for you. Too bad about the weather ups and downs, though. And good for you on the grocery shopping. I would love someone to go to the store for me. Good call.