PDA

View Full Version : Cell phones have replaced camera flashes

CU Tiger
06-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Cell phones have replaced camera flashes! While riding POTC, we had two people in front of us recoding the entire trip with their cell phones. It was so anoying :mad:to have these phones, with their large screens, glowing during the entire trip. It took away from the ride. This was not the only ride this was taking place. There were several others, but it makes more of a difference during dark rides like HM. I wish DW would do something about this!
Does anyone feel this is OK and we are just being unreasonable? :confused::mickey:

Seasonscraps
06-12-2009, 10:53 PM
I think it's really inconsiderate of people to ruin the experience for everyone else. I don't see how this situation can be controlled short of banning cell phones, PDAs, cameras, video cameras which we all know will never happen.

DisneyCrazyET
06-12-2009, 11:03 PM
I don't like it either.
Next time sing louder...:pirate:

Alligirl
06-13-2009, 12:57 AM
I don't like it either.
Next time sing louder...:pirate:

LOL:funny:

Great idea, if I was in the boat with them it would certainly render the recording unuseable!!:rotfl:

LiloLovesTheKing26
06-13-2009, 01:21 AM
I noticed this on our last trip. The big bright screens during the dark rides. It just as annoying when they are talking on them the entire ride. Instead of no eating, drinking or flash photography they need to put in cell phone use!!

Gregandmel
06-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Too bad there isn't a CM in the boat each time to monitor this. I know it's impossible, but it's one of our favorite rides as well and it wasn't ruined by the flash photography occuring in front of me, but it was certainly annoying and distracting. Would be nice if a CM could yell at the individual - ha ha. Oh well - never ceases to amaze me how inconsiderate people can be. Maybe next time we go, we'll wait until we can get in the very front, then maybe I won't have to worry about it quite as much!

pink
06-13-2009, 01:12 PM
I think it's so rude. We went on HM and POTC recently and had to deal with people constantly taking flash pictures with their cameras and their phones. One person actually ruined the whole HM new Madam Leota scene because of the flash, it was so mad.

What really bothers me is that they don't just take one picture and then they're done. They take pictures every 5 seconds.

:mickey:

SBETigg
06-13-2009, 01:51 PM
I agree. It's not just a matter of the actual flash anymore, it's having to view the ride through someone else's bright screen because you're behind them and the light draws your eyes. It's sad that more people aren't considerate enough to think of the people behind them. Even if you're in the last seat of a boat, there's usually another boat not far behind you with people who have to put up with your bright screen glowing through the darkness.

crltkcagle
06-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Don't forget the screens from video cameras! I was one of those people who was recording all of the rides but instead of using the screen on the side of the camera i kept it closed and used the old fashioned eye hole to record with. It was a pain in the rear but I didn't want to ruin the ride/attraction for other people.

mickey&missy
06-13-2009, 03:19 PM
OMG! What the heck is the matter with people? Really?

I HATE the stupid LCD screens all over the World! Not to mention, on a dark ride like POTC unless its a really good camera the video is not going to come out. So now you've wasted battery, annoyed your fellow guest and have nothing to show for it!

I truthfully thought you were going to say something about people taking on the phone on a ride. We've had that happen twice! Once on IASW and once on POTC. Not sure how the phone was working inside the ride like that, I don't think mine would, I guess that's why both times the person was just about screaming! Both times I said to DH "Is that person really that important that they have to take a call while on a ride, on vacation?!" UGH! Some people!

BMan62
06-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Don't forget the screens from video cameras! I was one of those people who was recording all of the rides but instead of using the screen on the side of the camera i kept it closed and used the old fashioned eye hole to record with. It was a pain in the rear but I didn't want to ruin the ride/attraction for other people.

I understand your point, but a lot of the newer video cameras (like the one I have) do not have the optical viewfinders anymore, just the touch screen. That said, I use the screen to get the initial focus, then close the screen and hope I get good video. (Otherwise, I just have to ride/view/visit again!! :D )

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Both camera flashes and cell phone screens make me crazy. On our last trip we were on POTC and the lady in front of me kept taking flash pictures. I finally said loudly "What don't people understand about the statement NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY?" and she actually put the camera down and stopped taking pictures. It was great!

I always try to think of other people. I don't do anything that I would hate for someone else to do to me. Everyone is there to enjoy themselves and I try to be considerate of others. I just wish that everyone thought that way.

Disney Doll
06-15-2009, 01:25 PM
What really bothers me is that they don't just take one picture and then they're done. They take pictures every 5 seconds.

:mickey:

Exactly. What in the world are they going to do with 100+ pics from POTC? Last time we rode we sat behind a group like that. I swear they took a picture of everything.

biodtl
06-15-2009, 02:10 PM
It drives me crazy, but I will admit, I get a laugh knowing that some of the pics will not turn out anyway (like on projection screens or behind glass, etc)

I rarely ever take photos even without flash because I don't want to disturb people with the clicking shutter.

c&d
06-15-2009, 03:15 PM
I must say that on our last trip I reached my breaking point. I was so tired of always being next to or behind the person taking flash pictures that I actually spoke up. I gently tapped him on the shoulder and said, excuse me can please stop taking pictures. You're blinding me everytime the flash goes off. He looked terribly guilty and slumped down in his seat. I'm sure not everyone would stop but having done it once now, I've got my courage up to start asking people to stop when they are taking pictures.

DH almost fell out of the boat because he's listened to me complain for years about it and was shocked when I finally said something.

pixiesmimi
06-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Our last trip there was a woman with a cell phone in one of the dark shows. Even though the CM said no flash photography or cell phones, this woman kept her phone open while she texted all through the show. It was very irritating and distracting. Then later we went into another show and the same thing but further down towards the front. The light was distracting to everyone even that far away. Turns out it was the same person. I can't believe a CM didn't say anything to her. Why are they even there if they aren't going to enforce the rules?

brownie
06-16-2009, 09:29 AM
No easy answers to this one, but it's definitely an issue. There's a reason they're called a dark ride. Maybe some of the boats could be declared camera/video free (and some would be camera/video friendly.) You'd think people would be more considerate and think about how what they are doing is affecting others.

iheartdisney
06-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Does anyone feel this is OK and we are just being unreasonable? :confused::mickey:

No. It is not OK! Ever! Although, I DO like the "sing louder" advice....love it, actually! I think I'm going to try this our next visit. And I'd like to enlist all of your help, as well! We could start a SCPVCDDR (Stop Cell Phones Video Cameras During Dark Rides) Movement!

rubato
06-16-2009, 10:48 AM
No easy answers to this one, but it's definitely an issue. There's a reason they're called a dark ride. Maybe some of the boats could be declared camera/video free (and some would be camera/video friendly.) You'd think people would be more considerate and think about how what they are doing is affecting others.

Why would they be considerate at DW? They aren't considerate when they're in the left lane of the highway, or not using their turn signals, or on their phone at the check out in the grocery store. We live in a world right now that allows everyone to be inconsiderate. Drives me crazy! I will be saying something to these people next time. Very politely, of course, but how can people know if we don't speak up?

Imagineer1981
06-16-2009, 11:54 AM
One thing I've found is people at WDW are many times out for themselves. They don't take the time to realize they may be bothering someone or ruining someone else's first time

ransam
06-16-2009, 06:27 PM
we went to an outdoor concert last weekend..got out there spread our blankets out, and just chilled until the show started...the people behind us kept talking and talking and talking....all through the first 3 or 4 songs...the sound wasn't loud, and we were in the back so these people were definitly interupting the show...my friend got up and moved down a few feet down the lawn...my gf and i didin't really want to move..i was about to say something rude, and my gf could tell i was mad...and she stopped me and turned around and very very very politely said "excuse me, I don't know how to say this w/o coming out sounding rude, but we've been looking forward to this show all week and would really like to hear it."...they quickly apologized and we watched the rest of the show in peace.

In the same way..don't get mad at people..don't let rude people ruin your trip. just very politely ask tell them how it's ruining your ride....most people at Disney are in a happy mood anyway, and will probably stop. if they don't, then just smile and ignore them...then when the ride ends, and you're geting off, tell a CM so the rude people can hear what happened and would they mind if you rode it again so you can actually enjoy it. Hopefully the people getting on the ride for your second trip will have heard what you said, and they will take the hint.
Just a suggestion.

but by all means...it's Disney!! don't let anything ruin your vacation.

crltkcagle
06-17-2009, 09:51 AM
No. It is not OK! Ever! Although, I DO like the "sing louder" advice....love it, actually! I think I'm going to try this our next visit. And I'd like to enlist all of your help, as well! We could start a SCPVCDDR (Stop Cell Phones Video Cameras During Dark Rides) Movement!

Ok can we throw something else into that movement? The when the CM says go all the way to the end of the aisle you actually have to do it! More than once I had people sit in the middle and not move. I spoke up each time telling them they had to go all the way to the end and more than once these people refused to get up! I was so mad that we all had to jump over them because they thought they were special and didnt' have to obey the rules! :mad:

lightyearfan
06-17-2009, 01:30 PM
well i'm sorry to say but i have to disagree and i know that i'm going to get slammed but this is (IMHO) just like everyone else. as long as WDW allows filming and picture taking then there is nothing that we can say about it, yes we can talk to the that particular person to see if they can stop, but that can backfire as well (remember the fight at the tea cups between those two women because they thought that they cut the line) i know a bunch of other things are far more inconsiderate, like obnoxious kids that really ruin dark rides with there crying and screaming and parents letting them do whatever they want without doing anything, me and dw went on Its a small world ride and there was this family with kids and they did nothing but cry and scream the whole ride, and the parents sat there on there behinds and did nothing about it, to me this is more of a problem, we went to go see fantasmic and it was our first time and yet again another family with wild kids that made it so bad we had to go back and see the second show, because as you know the first show is always jammed. these are just 2 examples of things that can more inconsiderate.

VIctor

Disney Doll
06-17-2009, 01:40 PM
well i'm sorry to say but i have to disagree and i know that i'm going to get slammed but this is (IMHO) just like everyone else. as long as WDW allows filming and picture taking then there is nothing that we can say about it, yes we can talk to the that particular person to see if they can stop, but that can backfire as well (remember the fight at the tea cups between those two women because they thought that they cut the line)
VIctor

The thing is Disney allows pictures, but they do not allow flashes or any type of video lighting on their dark rides. A brightly light cell screen would fall into that category if you ask me.

lightyearfan
06-17-2009, 01:58 PM
The thing is Disney allows pictures, but they do not allow flashes or any type of video lighting on their dark rides. A brightly light cell screen would fall into that category if you ask me.

yes true and when me and dw take pics or vid we always make sure that there is no flash and vid, there are also allot of foreigners who don't understand anyhting and this could be a problem too.

aprilisis
06-17-2009, 02:23 PM
In the same way..don't get mad at people..don't let rude people ruin your trip. just very politely ask tell them how it's ruining your ride....most people at Disney are in a happy mood anyway, and will probably stop. if they don't, then just smile and ignore them...then when the ride ends, and you're geting off, tell a CM so the rude people can hear what happened and would they mind if you rode it again so you can actually enjoy it. Hopefully the people getting on the ride for your second trip will have heard what you said, and they will take the hint.
Just a suggestion.

but by all means...it's Disney!! don't let anything ruin your vacation.

Well said!!