PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Stroller for a 5 yr old

dldest
06-12-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm getting ready for our first trip to WDW this August. And I would like to save money by not renting a stroller for our 5 year old son. Does anyone have any recommendations on which stroller I could purchase that would hold about 45-50 pounds? My husband seems to think we can bring our stroller that we've had for our son. It's a big Graco stroller with cup holders and stow away in the bottom. I think it's way too big and heavy and won't fit on the buses.

Please help!!!

iheartdisney
06-12-2009, 07:27 PM
We had the same dilemma for our last trip just a few weeks ago. And we ultimately decided to try the trip without using one at all. If worse came to worse we'd either rent or buy the umbrella strollers they have right there at WDW.

Guess what? He never needed one. Oh sure, my husband carried him one or two nights as we were leaving a park but our little boy, who thinks walks in our neighborhood are "too long for my short legs" never once complained, never asked for a stroller, never asked to be carried. The only reason my husband carried him those couple nights is because he could see he was dragging. We just adopted a "don't ask, don't offer" strategy and saved ourselves a lot of money and headache carting around a stroller on Disney transportation.

If you're brave I think you should wing it like we did. I'm not sure you'll need one.

Pirate Granny
06-12-2009, 07:44 PM
We just got back and my daughter who flew with my granddaughter from CO...brought her Graco...I flew from Detroit and brought my Combi stroller to use in the parts...it folds pretty easy and it has a carrying strap to help get on the bus...still awkward...I've seen ads for a new stroller rental service where it's much cheaper than disney strollers and they deliver and pick up at your resort...and it says they fold compactly...NOW...lots of people bring the Graco's on the bus...even the double Graco's...as long as you have enough hands and strength you can bring Graco...if you have to stand and hold the stroller you may be in trouble...a couple of times we took cabs rather than deal with the lines and strollers...there was one adult (me...) one 7 month expectant mom (daughter) and one 2-1/2 perfect granddaughter who only cried 5 minutes the entire 8 day trip...
:pirate:

g8rgirl29
06-12-2009, 08:18 PM
We just use a cheap cosco umbrella stroller from Toys R Us. We have added a clip on umbrella and a quilted bag for the back to hold snacks, ponchos and water. This has worked well for us the past 2 trips and we plan on using it again this year. Our DD is 5yo and 42#'s and it still works great for her. Just a quick tip though, no matter which stroller you get, bring something to mark the handles of your stroller if they are blue or black. Our handles are red and it was easy to find in a sea of blue and black handled strollers.

Kathy Jetson
06-13-2009, 01:41 AM
I have a rather large stroller thats made for alot of outdoor hiking and running we will be bringing it for ds who will be 6 when we arrive. it just works for us because whenever he gets tired he just sits for awhile and then hes back at it again. we drive so we don't have to deal with getting on and off bus

Daddy Mouse
06-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Does your 5 year old really need a stroller? If the boy is healthy and active he will not need one. When he or yourself gets tired, cranky, etc... take a break. If you're staying onsite go back to your room. If not go to one of the resorts lounges and let DS take a little nap.

Should you really need a stroller do your research there and make sure you get one that would be comfortable for your son.

thumperbug
06-14-2009, 10:42 AM
My son is about 44 lbs. We got a got travel stroller that has all you want in a stroller at Babies r us. Easy fold, has a shoulder strap and weighs about 7 lbs. It holds a child up to 55 lbs. It has a canopy and underseat storage. I think it is a Wendy Belissimo.

My son is past stroller age but he is small and his little legs and feet get tired so to me, bringing the stroller is worth it. Sometimes it is just easier for him and us to push him in the stroller through crowds then to walk. I also feel more safe with him in it when walking in the crowds. I also have to admit I like having it to carry stuff I don't want to carry.

I also prefer to have my son in the stroller when were are at the airport.

Its all a personal preference whether you need a stroller or not. BUt you can get a very resonable priced umbrella stroller for less then a 2 day park stroller rental. If at the end of your trip it is still in good condition, pass it on to someone else who might need it.

I also want to mention that the new strollers at the park are smaller then the old ones and don't seen to be designed well to keep a little one comforable.

Lizzie
06-14-2009, 07:13 PM
We have brought our large jogger stroller on the bus and have never had an issue. But we also don't mind waiting for the next bus if we feel its too crowded. We even had to have the driver open the back door to get on the bus. But we never had an issue and our twin girls who were around 1 1/2 at the time we comfortable the whole trip and slept great in their stroller.

imaprincess!
06-14-2009, 08:12 PM
My family will be going to WDW in September and I, too, have a 5 year old. I plan on using a stroller. Even if the child is healthy, you will be walking way more than your child is used to. Combine that with the sun, heat and sensory overload and it will come in handy for sure. Just make sure it folds easily as it gets a little frustrating while the train/tram/bus is waiting for you and you're doing battle with a stroller that doesn't want to close! :beat: In the past, I have also brought pajamas for the little ones and when they were collapsing at the end of the night, I slipped their pj's on and put them in bed when we got back to the resort.

biodtl
06-14-2009, 10:53 PM
I found a great price on a Silver Cross micro on ebay and it was perfect - can handle a larger kid, sturdy, storage, and folds small, with a strap and carrying case. It was the best.

Mrs.C
06-16-2009, 11:12 AM
We have a Maclaren Volo stroller and we love it! It folds very compact with a carrying strap and it only weighs 8 pounds and holds up to 55 pounds. It has a small basket underneath. We are going next spring with our son who will be five and our plan is to have him walk at MK and DHS, but ride at Epcot and AK because the parks are bigger. We also take a lot of walks at home to build up his strength walking too. The days we are at MK and DHS, the Volo folds up nice and small so that it can be out of the way in our resort room!

DANAM
06-16-2009, 07:38 PM
My son just made 5 and has a touch of anxiety especially with characters. I still carry him all over at 40 something pounds. I could never imagine doing Disney without a stroller for him. Last summer we used a stroller we bought from K MART. I am not sure of the brand but it was about 40 bucks. It wasn't a umbrella stroller but it wasn't a full sized graco. It was mid sized and folded very compact. It did have the tray on the front, canopy on top for shade, back folded down for a nap, and a cargo net under. We normally drive to and from the parks but we did take the bus once and it fit in between me legs and the back of the set in front of me. I think it was a costco or something like that. I want to say it was up to 60lbs. My 7 year old who is about 65 or so has rode in it.

shellyb627
06-17-2009, 05:58 AM
We travel to Disney several times a year and found that when our daughter turned 5 we suddenly told her she was too big for the stroller. For 2 reasons, 1...Disney is making it more unaccomodating where to place to strollers(way out of the way) and 2. She really does not need it. We take breaks, go on the rides, etc. We don't ask if she is tired and she is too busy having fun..If the child is crying and cranky probably time for a break anyway and time to go back to the room not for a stroller nap at 5!

EmmMOM2
06-17-2009, 07:35 AM
we went when my son was 4 and he walked the WHOLE time. this year he is 5 and will walk the whole time again.
I would agree that you do not need a stroller.

javaqueen11
06-17-2009, 10:29 AM
we took our older son to DW for the first time when he was 5, didn't need a stroller. we just went this past fall with him and our younger son who was 4 1/2 at the time, and he DEFINITELY needed a stroller, for his enjoyment but also for our sanity. every kid is different. It's not so bad walking around MK or the Studios, but Epcot and AK are ALOT of walking. we got a MacLaren Volo, because it holds up to like 50+ lbs, it's super lightweight, and folds very easily and compact (great for the buses) and it has a shoulder strap so it's easy to carry if your child does want to walk around sometimes. it also has a small net storage area underneath that comes in handy. it's like an umbrella stroller only the handles are nice and tall, so even my husband didn't have to bend over to push it.

GoldenDreams
06-23-2009, 08:56 PM
We found a great medium-sized stroller that had all the features of our big one: cup holder, sun shade, reclining seat, basket underneath, large wheels, and the handle at a nice height. It was made by Graco and it was both narrower and shorter than our regular stroller. We loved the thing. We were able to bring it down in the box and then assemble it in the room.

However, we only used it when our son was 3 and 4. We needed it then, but we didn't bring it when he was 5 and he did just fine. The only thing he complained about was a stitch in his side when we'd first get to the parks and race to get a fast pass. One we were just walking normally, he did great. By that point, we didn't really need to bring snacks and we were able to just tie sweatshirts around our waists and not bother with an extra bag.

Hope that helps.

DisneyAndRedSox
06-24-2009, 08:22 AM
I second the Maclaren Volo- compact, holds older kids and steers well. You can find them on craigslist or get new ones that are discontinued colors for under $100. DD will be 4 on our next trip and I definitely plan on using it, I find in the evening she really needs it!

FYI- some strollers that are compact steer well for little kids but are horrible with bigger kids. Try it before you buy it! I had a Combi Cosmo for when I took DD @ 2 months old and it was fine. When she was 2 years old the stroller steered horrible and we sold it at a yard sale!

piglet,pooh,and goofy2
06-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Third vote for the Maclaren Volo. IMHO this is the best travel stoller ever made. Didn't purchase one until our WDW trip when DS was 4yrs old. It was the best investment. The stroller has done Disney multiple times since. The weight limit of 55lbs, ease of folding, and the ability to carry it over your shoulder make it ideal for WDW and any airport. Easy to deal with in the Disney buses,too. I'm hoping DS is not too tall to ride in it again in July. (All ready removed the top. Hoping his knees won't be in his chest or face. Ha,ha!)
------Kim:piglet::pooh::goofy:
:rocks: Wendy @ Magically Journeys:angel:

Georgesgirl1
06-25-2009, 10:26 PM
We just bought a Graco Ipo umbrella stroller for our trip this summer. So far I love it. It is a little heavier than many umbrella strollers, but more comfy for DS. It reclines to multiple positions which I liked. Plus it has a cup holder and a good amount of storage.

I agree with the people who said that having a stroller with a 5 year old is a good idea. When I was little my parents rented a stroller past the age that we would have used one a home. We were the kind of family that got there at rope drop and left after the fireworks, so a stroller was a good place for us to rest.

Mom2princesses
06-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Another vote for the McClaran volo!!! My dd just turned 5 yo in May and she is tall for her age. I brought it for our last trip when she was 3 yo. She still rode it in comfort. I got one on sale. It was worth it and with the cost of strollers in the parks it has proven to be a great deal!

She really did need it and was able to fall asleep when she needed to take a nap. I could bring it right on the monrail. It folds very easily and was not a problem on the bus either.