PDA

View Full Version : Geocaching in the parks?

VolMickey
06-12-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't know much about this hobby, but I've heard it can be fun. Anyone heard of geocaching in the parks?

disneymom15
06-12-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure I even know what that word means. I've heard it before, just don't know the meaning. Please explain.

Strmchsr
06-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Geocaching is incredibly fun. I know there are cashes all around the Disney World area, but I don't know of any actually in the parks. Do a google search for Geocaching, though, and you'll find some sites that can point you in the right direction.

Strmchsr
06-12-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm not sure I even know what that word means. I've heard it before, just don't know the meaning. Please explain.

Geocashing is a hobby done with a handheld GPS receiver. It's basically a treasure hunt using grown-up toys, though kids and grown-ups alike love it. You use your handheld GPS to locate coordinates where someone previously has hidden something (a cache). Once you find it you usually record your name and date then replace it for others to find. It's a ton of fun.

VolMickey
06-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks! :thumbsup: and thanks for adding the definition for everyone. It's not caught on everywhere yet, and I'm just now researching it.

disneymom15
06-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks, sounds like fun.

TheRustyScupper
06-12-2009, 07:39 PM
1) Geo-caching can be fun.
2) And rewarding.
3) Goofy did it and ended up with bunches of candy.
4) Mickey did it and only found a hunk of cheese.
5) Go figure.

SFTrny
06-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Our family has done a lot of geocaching and it is a lot of fun....but...you probably won't find any traditional caches at WDW. A true cache is a hidden box or case that has a log book and usually some small items in it. I doubt that WDW would approve of people hiding these caches on their property. The National Parks do not allow them either. You will probably find a lot of "virtual caches" in the parks and on the grounds. A virtual cache can be a place where you get a special view or is a special place that is unique. A fun game would be to create a scavenger hunt in which people have to collect pictures of themselves at a variety of virtual caches in WDW. Maybe some could be creative...and require you to rent a searaycer mouseboat to get to!

DakotaDisney
06-12-2009, 11:44 PM
You could set up on at hidden Mickeys.

I like the idea of special views, or how about smells, and sounds and other hidden things besides hidden Mickeys.

Polynesian Dweller
06-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Been geocaching for 6 years now, and there are virtual geocaches in the parks. Virtuals means that there is a spot to go to and get info or a picture as proof you found the spot.

There used to be traditional caches, ones with actual containers, in the parks and we found them all. There was one in the Stave Church, others on the grounds (near Boardwalk for example) and so on. However, a couple of years ago someone placed one without Disney's permission and it caused a bomb scare so Disney banned all traditional caches in the parks.

There are, however, lots very nearby. Some of the best are in Celebration and show you a lot of that pretty area. Give it a try, there are thousands of geocachers around the world and we can always use one more.:mickey:

crltkcagle
06-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Wow never heard of this before but it sounds like lots of fun. Kind of reminds me of the Kim Impossible Mission at Epcot.

Pop Centurion
06-14-2009, 12:09 AM
Sounds fun but I don't know if I'd have the time while in WDW. Heck, I can't even remember to look for hidden Mickey's half the time.

johnO
06-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Learn something everyday....