PDA

View Full Version : I just can't believe this!

alphamommy
06-12-2009, 03:44 PM
DH's brother has two stepsons. The youngest, who is almost 14, is epileptic.

Anyway, DSIL and I are Facebook friends. I just went on, and was scrolling through the things that my various friends have posted recently. I discovered one from DSIL dated last night that indicated that her DS just got out of the hospital after some period of time in PICU because of seizures.

Hello? This is how we find out? Through Facebook? I totally understand that their first priority was the child. However, based on the comments to her post from members of her family, much of her family found this out via Facebook as well.

I guess I just feel bad that we didn't know, and I needed to vent about it.

princessimagineer
06-12-2009, 03:59 PM
yea it is sorta strange how the world is starting to depend on facebook in order to inform people what they are doing, and to learn what others are doing.

i swear i had a conversation once where i said "i hate how were talking about deleting your facebook as though your giving up a kindey"

brownie
06-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Could it be that they see this as sort of routine, so in their minds it didn't warrant a more personal notification?

I would talk to them and let them know you care and would like to know about these things so you can help support them. Keep it positive, they might not realize a Facebook posting isn't the best way to communicate this.

alphamommy
06-12-2009, 08:53 PM
I left a message at their house right after I read about what happened. DSIL called me later this afternoon and filled me in on details. He was only in the hospital for two days, and most of it was frantic diagnosis.

It turns out that, since he's hitting puberty, his anti-seizure meds needed to be adjusted.

I felt a lot better after I talked to her.

Stitchahula
06-13-2009, 11:26 AM
they might have thought it was the easiest way to let people know without having to make a ton of phone calls. I know not always the best option but it was a way to reach a lot of people without having to do a lot of work.

tinksmom02
06-14-2009, 01:03 PM
they might have thought it was the easiest way to let people know without having to make a ton of phone calls. I know not always the best option but it was a way to reach a lot of people without having to do a lot of work.

I agree with Stitchula...they probably assumed Facebook was the easiest way to reach a great number of their friends without having to make numerous phone calls and repeating the story umpteen times.

I'm glad you spoke to DSIL and got the whole story.

diz_girl
06-15-2009, 10:08 AM
I agree with Stitchula...they probably assumed Facebook was the easiest way to reach a great number of their friends without having to make numerous phone calls and repeating the story umpteen times.

I disagree on one point - close family should at least get a phone call.

Patty
06-20-2009, 08:45 PM
I disagree on one point - close family should at least get a phone call.

I agree here. Although facebook and sites like it are a great way of communicating with alot of people quickly, family deserves personal attention. Either way I am glad you talked to your SIL and that her son will be fine.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Since I very rarely get on Facebook, I'd hope that someone would call me to let me know what's going on if it involves a close family member.

crazypoohbear
06-21-2009, 08:29 PM
I rarely go on facebook so I would need a phone call and I want to go on record as saying that if something is going on with my nephews I want a phone call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beksy
06-23-2009, 12:20 AM
At least you had facebook for info...we recently found out my grandmother had surgury two months ago and was in and out of the hospital but nobody bothered to mention it! Anyway, I'm glad you got it straightened out and it was nothing too serious.