PDA

View Full Version : Question About Point Charts

mjaclyn
06-12-2009, 10:26 AM
I was just looking at the 2009 point chart vs the 2010 point chart for Bay Lake Tower. It was my understanding that the amount of points you need for a specific season will never change, only the dates of the 'season' will change. However, when I looked at the difference between this year and next year, the point requirement goes up for Adventure, Choice and Dream seasons. What's the deal with that? I thought the whole point of buying into DVC was so that you could guarantee your rate for the next 50 years... that basically goes out the window if they start upping the amount of points you need to stay there. Why in 2009 can I get a one bedroom MK view for 270 points, but in 2010 it's 272 points? DH and I just purchased 270 points thinking we could do a week in the one bedroom with the MK view every year if we wanted to and now I realized we can't without banking or borrowing the extra 2 points. Am I wrong or is this something Disney said they would not do to DVC owners?

VWL Mom
06-12-2009, 10:39 AM
My understanding was that they could changes seasons and redistribute points but 1 week would get you 1 week. Since you just closed I would definitely call your rep.

mjaclyn
06-12-2009, 10:59 AM
I just called my DVC rep and she said that although the total amount of points can never go up across the board, Disney can move points around so that if a week goes up 2 points in one season, it has to go down 2 points in another season. That irritates me. Disney should explain that point better for people who are buying into DVC.

Donald A
06-12-2009, 12:10 PM
I just called my DVC rep and she said that although the total amount of points can never go up across the board, Disney can move points around so that if a week goes up 2 points in one season, it has to go down 2 points in another season. That irritates me. Disney should explain that point better for people who are buying into DVC.

There is a long discussion about this point reallocation in this section that began a few months ago. I got tired of discussing it as I am in the same boat as you, irritated by it. To put it simply, though, there are different times of the year where points are "worth more" than others.

I used to think that a Monday night in the value time at SSR for a studio will be 11 points for the life of the contract. (That's what my guide said). However, it is not that simple I found out (much to my disappointment) as they lowered the weekend points in the value season and raised the weekday by a point or two. I think, however, it is save to say that an entire week of points for the value season will never change. Wait..... that doesn't work anymore either from what you just said?????

I get some people mad when I say this, but our guide was not completely honest about this. You need to remember the DVC is not to make its members happy first and foremost, but it is to make money. If they can legally find ways to do this they will. They will look at how people travel and move points around based on what works out best for them finacially and tell you when you call, as I did, it's based on member feedback.

However, I think you will still enjoy DVC. Just give it a try if you aren't too irritated. All-in-all we have enjoyed having it. We are just irritated that our guide was dishonest and misleading about these points and probably, because of that, will not add more points on in the future.

DizneyRox
06-12-2009, 01:01 PM
It's a fairly new trend I think. We knew this going in, points can get adjusted based on a whole number of things, BUT they can't just add points. For every add of one point there has to be a drop of one point somewhere during the year. And it's based on a year, not a week, month, season, etc.

Guides today seem to either be not as knowledgable, more deceitful, or a combination of both. Consumers, when spending this kind of cash, also need to make sure they fully understand this. And, yes, it's tough when you don't know what to ask, but it's like that with almost everything. Buying a house, buying a car, etc. DVC is really no different.

For the most part though, the major impact to this is to people who bought just enough points to cover EXACTLY what they needed. I've always warned folks to look at what you need, and take into account the fact you may not get what you want. I think with BLT this is going to be a huge problem. People buying based on a standard view but when they call, only a MK view will be available. While it stands to reason most poeple will want a MK view, buying the points necessary to cover that may be prohibitive. Do like normal guests do and hope for an upgrade, which just doesn't happen all that often with DVC.

DVC Mike
06-12-2009, 02:50 PM
DVCMC has the right, and more importantly the responsibility, to evaluate usage patterns and reallocate the points to balance usage based upon demand.

Many people purchased just enough points to stay only Sunday-Thursday nights. The points on Friday and Saturday night were being underutilized. It's quite easy to book Friday and Saturday nights in comparison to Sunday-Thursday. Its also obvious when Sunday is the biggest check-in date and Friday is the biggest check-out date.

The system was out of balance. The points needed to be reallocated based upon this usage pattern. The supply of available units needed to be balanced against demand.

mickey&missy
06-14-2009, 08:40 AM
I had the exact same problem with a 2 bedroom AKV, savannah view. I thought it was for a week in adventure season 2010. Turned out it was 272! We were already borrowing 70 points from our 2010 use year but the extra 2 points threw off my whole system of how I was going to use the points!

Look at the different charts for the differents resorts and see if staying at a different resort or different days will work out for you. That what I'm hoping to do later in 2010.

Donald A
06-14-2009, 08:49 AM
I had the exact same problem with a 2 bedroom AKV, savannah view. I thought it was for a week in adventure season 2010. Turned out it was 272! We were already borrowing 70 points from our 2010 use year but the extra 2 points threw off my whole system of how I was going to use the points!

Look at the different charts for the differents resorts and see if staying at a different resort or different days will work out for you. That what I'm hoping to do later in 2010.

They are probably hoping you buy more points to continue vacationing the way you thought you would when you bought into the club. I get more offers to "add on" points than anything else from the club either by US mail or email.

Mushu11756
06-15-2009, 09:35 AM
I think alot of us misunderstood what they were saying when they first explained it to us. I know I did! Our Vacation goes up from 210pts this year to 221 next year. 11 point jump!:ack: That's Adventure Season, the cheapest time of year!:confused::confused:

DisneyDudet
06-29-2009, 01:00 PM
When we bought in just last week, they made this VERY clear, so we either got good guides or they are making sure people know it going in more than they did before.

We understand this, and we bought a comfortable amount of points to be flexible for us, even though the amount we bought may be a heck of a lot less than most. We will go back to having a long vacation either every year, or a REAL NICE vacation every 2 years.

The number of points never changes, just the distribution can.

epceddie
06-29-2009, 11:28 PM
My wife and I always try to get the most out of our 150 points, so we love Sunday-Friday stays with a late flight home.
Using double the points on weekends just doesn't make sense for us. A studio at OKW that's 8 points on Thursday all of a sudden doubles to 16 on Friday?
Being at Disney on weekends is a royal pain, so we're going to do everything we can to keep making those Sunday-Friday trips.