PDA

View Full Version : Facebook question

lovewalt
06-11-2009, 04:12 PM
I am fairly new to facebook and I am enjoying reconnecting with old high school friends and former co-workers.And it's also a nice way to keep in touch with family who live out of state.
My problem is with my current co-workers who insist on becoming facebook freinds even though I see them and communicate with them everday.Most of these people are younger than me and I guess I'm not as into the whole social networking thing as the younger crowd.I don't get it but whatever,I don't want to make waves and be the unfriendly co-woker.So I accept the friend requests.
I work on a hospital unit and in order to work effectively with everyone, I try to avoid the "cliques" and the gossip.I try and stay neutral in conversations that are not work related.One of my big rules is to NEVER discuss ethier religion or politics at work.I don't want to add arguments over hot button topics to my already stressful work environment.
Sometimes these co-workers will send me a "Cause" request on facebook.Often times they are political or religious causes.My question is about the 'ignore' option.What actually happens if I utilize it? Can the sender tell that I've used it? I don't want to offend anyone and I think the best way of doing that is to keep neutral with these issues.

2Epcot
06-11-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm also new to Facebook and love the part of connecting with old co-workers and classmates from years ago. What I do hate is all the games and quizzes (I don't know why people have so much time for those). I also get the cause things too. If you ignore, the person who sent it to you will not get any kind of notification that you did that.

I don't get so many co-worker friend request, but I do get quite a few from people I went to school with that I didn't really know that well in school. I don't really want to accept all the request, but I understand not wanting to be rude as well.

What I find myself doing is making the privacy settings on my albums so only certain people see them. I have many of my "friends" blocked from most of my photo albums. I also keep several people blocked from my newfeed who seem to constantly want to do every quiz that pops up on Facebook.

If worse come to worse sometime down the road you can always drop a friend. They will get no notification you did that, and they may have so many friends they won't even notice they are no longer friends with you.

MNNHFLTX
06-11-2009, 04:43 PM
There is one nephew-in-law that I have chosen to hit the "hide" button on, as his language was atrocious and I really didn't feel like reading that all day long! Anyway, I see nothing wrong with ignoring certain causes and such--they won't know the difference.

BluewaterBrad
06-11-2009, 04:50 PM
i am fairly new also. Yes, meeting up with old friends and old Girlfriends especially is cool. I just dont click anything that I dont want to be a part of. You are totally neutral when u do that!! Trust me.. I know.:mickey:

meldan98
06-11-2009, 05:09 PM
I've been using Facebook for a little while now, and have now had to block some of my "friends". You can also remove them as friend and they are none the wiser. You can also just not accect their friend request and ignore them. More than likely, they will never personally acknowledge you not accepting them. If they do, just tell them, you are really new at facebook and are still trying to figure it out, or that you aren't using Facebook anymore. Only use what you want and are comfortable with.

LittleSpirit02
06-11-2009, 05:34 PM
I ignore applications like the "Causes" thing allll the time from both close and non-close friends. They have no way of knowing you ignored it and honestly probably won't think about it after they invite you. A lot of applications require or at least suggest inviting at least 15 or so friends for their use so you may notice you get a lot of random invitations. Don't feel bad about ignoring them - most people do.

As far as ignoring friend requests - they won't receive a notice saying you ignored it but they may figure it out by the fact that you never end up responding to it. You can put people on "limited profile" which makes them your friend but allows you to limit what they see of your profile. Post if you need help with setting it up.

citizensnoopy
06-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Nobody will know if you ignore a cause. Usually those requests are sent out to everyone on the person's friend list. I usually ignore most invitations/causes.

Hull-onian
06-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Like everyone said, click ignore and hide. Works great:thumbsup:

princessimagineer
06-11-2009, 06:51 PM
not only have i been on facebook for ever, but i am a part of this "social networking generation" as i am 19 years old.

if you click ignore to any cause. nobody will know. trust me, i ignore almost everything just because im one of those "i dont care how if i die at 12 am, i refuse to pass on your chain letter" kind of person. i really dont like a lot of stupid facebook applications on my page mainly cuz my page is overloaded in photos anyway. i know that they are causes, but dont feel bad, cuz they wont know you ignored it.

be sure to search Intercot under groups and join with the rest of us! :mickey:

Magic Smiles
06-12-2009, 07:04 AM
I have ignored friends requests from co-workers. I think after a while I just deleted their request. I actually have friends that have disappeared and I didn't notice for weeks. Then they would re-appear. Not too sure what was going on here.
I do really need to learn how to adjust the security settings for individuals, as there are a few 'friends' that really do not need to see my family photos or to read my wall. Why do so many people post on your wall instead of just sending you an email?

Stitchahula
06-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Don't let peer pressure get to you, if you don't want to "join" something then don't. I've had people request I join something but I didn't like how the "cause" was worded so I didn't. It's your facebook page you do with it what you want.

GothMickey
06-12-2009, 12:47 PM
A lot of people on Facebook just want to increase their friends total. They really don't care if you email them or talk to them on there.

Magic Smiles
06-12-2009, 01:24 PM
A lot of people on Facebook just want to increase their friends total. They really don't care if you email them or talk to them on there.

You hit it on the head. Now do you really have 400 "Close" friends that you want to share everything with?

Ian
06-12-2009, 04:08 PM
If you hit the "Ignore" button the other person is not told.

They can tell that you never accepted, I suppose, but it's not like they get a big flashing post on their home page that says, "LOVEWALT IGNORED YOUR CAUSE REQUEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

d_m_n_n
06-13-2009, 08:47 AM
You hit it on the head. Now do you really have 400 "Close" friends that you want to share everything with?

EXACTLY! I have accepted friends, only to drop them later. With so many friends, they won't miss you!

mickey&missy
06-13-2009, 02:50 PM
If you ignore or delete they won't be notified. Plus, they probably sent the same request to 449 of their other closest friends and couldn't possibly figure out who took the request and who didn't.

I love facebook for the fact that DH and I keep in contact with our college friend scattered all over that way and have reconnected with a few friends who were good friends but we lost touch with over time. It bad when you get soooo many requests and things and when you you end up with "friends" you didn't like 15 years ago!

MNNHFLTX
06-13-2009, 05:29 PM
I love facebook for the fact that DH and I keep in contact with our college friend scattered all over that way and have reconnected with a few friends who were good friends but we lost touch with over time. It bad when you get soooo many requests and things and when you you end up with "friends" you didn't like 15 years ago!That's my quandry right now. I love it that some of my friends from high school are finally getting active on Facebook, but I get a lot of requests from people in high school that were more acquaintances than friends. Even more difficult is that quite a few of them (women, in particular) only have their married name on their profile, not their maiden name. After 30 years, it's not so easy to figure out from a profile picture who they are (or were, as it may be)--especially as there were 500 people in my graduating class.

Anyway, sorry to get :offtopic:

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Facebook is a great way to catch up with old friends and those that are far away (one of my friends live in Dubai). It's also a great way to network. I'm in the music industry so I use it to stay connected with others in the business.

However I absolutely can't stand it when people send you 30 apps a day. My sister is one of those people and I just click ignore... it's not like she knows.

murphy1
06-17-2009, 08:11 AM
I love FB! As a SAHM it's a great tool for me if I can't get out of the house on a day or two. I hate those apps too, I will do friend suggestion on there, I love reconnecting people. If someone has a problem with you ignoring, don't worry about it. They remind me in a way of those dumb chain emails.

weswerx
06-18-2009, 08:25 PM
I try to make it a rule not to connect with people from work, to avoid problems. Now, I f we stop working with one another, then I might accept them as a friend.
As far as ignoring requests, it's up to you. I actually spent my entire day off answering all of those apps. It was fun and I didn't have anything else to do, but that's not something I want to do on an ongoing basis. Besides, they know that I am still their friend.:cool:
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to check my twitter account...:D