PDA

View Full Version : H1N1 (Swine Flu)?

caryrae
06-10-2009, 05:21 PM
We just found out my BIL's Fiances son (think he is like 4 or 5) tested positive for Influenza A, which they say probably means he has H1N1. They were over at our house on Monday. How long can it take for any symtoms to show up if my wife and I got it and are the symptoms the same as a cold or flu?

Ed
06-10-2009, 05:51 PM
The best source of info on the subject is the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/update.htm) Their site has a lot of useful and factual information.

I just did a quick scan and didn't see any info on the incubation period; perhaps one of our resident MD's or RN's will have that info handy.

Hope you were lucky, and are able to escape contracting that nasty bug.

merlinmagic4
06-10-2009, 05:58 PM
I don't know if you are concerned about any underlying medical conditions but if you have a direct exposure (along with another medical condition) your doctors may choose to treat you prophylactically (sp?). We just found out our son would probably be treated with Tamiflu if he has a direct exposure. He has a kidney transplant and a pretty severe chronic lung condition. Just a thought.......... Hope you stay well!

citizensnoopy
06-10-2009, 06:01 PM
People infected with H1N1 become symptomatic earlier than those with more common forms of the flu --- usually within 1 to 5 days of exposure. If nothing happens by the weekend, you're probably fine. :thumbsup:

caryrae
06-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Sounds like it is a lot like the seasonal flu. So far we feel fine but I do worry more for my wife because she has been taking more medication then normal. She takes pills for seizures and she had a couple of allergic reactions the past few weeks which we don't what is causing it yet but she is on a few medications for that for a little while. So not sure how her medications affect her in her chances of getting it.

beksy
06-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Hope everything turns out okay! :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
06-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Don't let it stress you out too much. From all the cases here in the states appears less contagious than the seasonal flu. In fact, my co-workers and I at the hospital found out after-the-fact that we had taken care of two people on our floor that ended up testing positive for H1N1 some weeks back. None of us got sick and as far as I know no one in their immediate family did either.