PDA

View Full Version : Mission Space: Difference between Green and Orange?

limegreenmonorail
06-07-2009, 02:53 AM
I've been on Mission Space a million times. But, I've only ever gone on the Orange side. This trip, however, I'm bringing my little cousins, who have never been to Disney before (never even been on a roller coaster before, actually). I'm not sure how they're going to react to the rides. They're cautious-type kids. Anyway, so on the Green side, do you still get that elephant-sitting-on-your-chest feeling, like you can barely move your arms? I'm guessing not, but I wanted to make sure. Because without that, you're just sitting there hitting the buttons, right? It just sounds kinda boring without the zero-gravity sort of feeling. So, opinions on the Green side would be appreciated!

Tigger&Stitch
06-07-2009, 05:21 AM
I haven't done either side, but my husband has done both. He says:

the Green side is a traditional motion-simulator ride. There's no pressure on your chest at all. He didn't find it boring, though, and actually enjoyed it more (which took him by surprise). He's says he found it to be more fun, albeit not as "exciting". :party:

Posterchild
06-07-2009, 08:26 AM
The original Mission Space was a ride that immersed you in a space experience. It does this by Spinning (Fast!) and simulating G forces. It also tilts the cars. I think the figures were upwards of 2.5 G's or something. That is what the Orange side still does.

Well, those amounts of G forces were not good for people (Mainly Unhealthy people). Sadly, one child was killed who had a heart condition, and a few elderly people were injured because of also having health issues that were heretofore, undiagnosed. Apparently, no amount of signs can help you if your walking around with a condition your not aware of, or in denial of.

So, now the Green Side does not spin at all. It is still a good experience, just not as good.

I love thrill rides, but Mission Space Orange still makes me queezy. I would say its regular old motion sickness, because your doing a lot of moving, and your senses cannot detect said movement.

Wikipedia has a nice write up on it.

JoDisney
06-07-2009, 08:56 AM
I have never experienced it because I am prone to motion sickness. I know when our school was taking a class trip for 8th grade, many of the adults were sick and a few kids on Orange ticket. The adults that got sick were sitting on the ground outside the ride and were so done for the rest of the trip. Many enjoy the ride, my son being one. Others do not do very well at all.

Here is a negative quote from our Disney Guide, "Mission: Space is extremely intense. If you are claustrophobic - forget it! Closing your eyes doesn't help. We found out later that the whole thing spins to create the feeling of pressure. I was caught between loving it and hating it. My husband was sick for the next morning. My two kids loved it."

You did not say how old these children are that are going on for the first time. I think you have to ask the cousins and their parents. Let them make the decision.

garymacd
06-07-2009, 09:16 AM
I have done both, and enjoy both. My wife has only done the green ride. She has inner ear problems that play heck with her balance. She felt a little dizzy after riding and vowed never to go again, but she did enjoy the experience.

If you suffer from inner ear problems or motion sickness avoid this ride - especially the orange ride - for your own comfort.

CleveRocks
06-07-2009, 10:19 AM
I love thrill rides. Fast, plunging, looping, screaming roller coasters are my idea of a good time. BUT I HATE SPINNING. Put me on the Tea Cups for 30 seconds and I'm crying for my mommy and hoping I didn't eat anything clolorful for lunch.

I did the Orange (original) version of Mission:Space when it was the only version. I enjoyed it, but I felt woozy for maybe an hour or so afterwards. Thrilling, but never again.

I was excited when they opened the Green version. It's still a lot of fun. No spinning, but the ride vehicle still pitches and yaws like any other motion simulator ride. But no motion sickness on my part whatsoever.

And by the way, I'm slightly claustrophobic, and Mission:Space never bothered me that way.

limegreenmonorail
06-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks, everybody! My cousins are 9 and 13. I think we'll try the Green side first, and if they like that, then we'll go for the Orange team. It's good to know the Green team is still fun. :mickey: Thanks!

bruin1344
06-07-2009, 03:14 PM
most of the time i ride the orange i get nausea afterwards but when i ride the green one i feel fine

EeyoresBestFriend
06-07-2009, 04:21 PM
My recommendation would be to take them on the orange ~ if they want to try it ~ near the end of the day. That way if they have adverse effects from it , it won't ruin the whole day for them. :thumbsup:

Have Fun! :cloud9:

MickeyandTink
06-08-2009, 05:02 PM
We've done both sides. We did Green our first year with DD(then 6) because of concerns about the G force instensity. Honestly, it was pretty boring. DD and I did the Orange side the following year and loved it. She had no problems at all and it was a much better ride (IMO).

TikiLounger
06-08-2009, 05:06 PM
We've only done the orange side. My son and I are fine...in fact we feel better after the ride (go figure). My daughter and husband can only ride once...they like it, but it's enough for them. I love Mission Space...it's so much fun that's it's hard to remember that some people can't handle it.

jszczur5
06-09-2009, 06:08 PM
In a nutshell, the difference is being able to function for the rest of the day (Green), or not (Orange).
I have done Orange enough times over the years to prove I'm no wimp, and don't feel the need to ever do it again. My kids begrudgingly ride the Green version once each trip with hubby and I, and then ride Orange 4 or 5 times while he and I hang out in Mission Control (?) at the end of the ride.

ransam
06-11-2009, 02:32 PM
i have never done orange side, but LOVED the green side. it was awesome..My buddy who is a thrill ride junkie has done both and he likes the green side much better...he said you get all the good w/o feeling sick.

Imagineer1981
06-11-2009, 02:37 PM
We rode Orange 3 times in a row and never felt sick. I guess its based on the person. We feel great when we get off, just like test track or any other E ticket ride

beksy
06-12-2009, 04:11 PM
And by the way, I'm slightly claustrophobic, and Mission:Space never bothered me that way.

Thanks so much for mentioning that! I've never gotten sick on a ride but can get slightly claustrophobic (like when they did an MRI of my head). I really wanted to try this and think my stomach can handle it but wasn't sure about all the claustraphobic warnings. I think I'm gonna give it a try now. :thumbsup:

rubato
06-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks so much for mentioning that! I've never gotten sick on a ride but can get slightly claustrophobic (like when they did an MRI of my head). I really wanted to try this and think my stomach can handle it but wasn't sure about all the claustraphobic warnings. I think I'm gonna give it a try now. :thumbsup:

Really think about it if you're claustrophobic. My hubby is very claustrophobic, and, when he got in this ride for the first time, didn't understand what was going to happen. Basically, you sit in a seat, then, have the dashboard close in on you. The doors are closed, and there's no way out. Not a problem for me, but he freaked! I mean, completely freaked! Now, he won't ride. I get motion sickness, but still have to do it at least once per trip with my son.