PDA

View Full Version : Candy Cane Inn or Hojo

DONROCK
06-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Planning our first visit to Disneyland (we're east coaster and have been going to DisneyWorld). I'm so confused which hotel to choose; Candy Cane Inn or Hojo. Please Help!

NotaGeek
06-06-2009, 06:22 PM
There are a lot of people on this board that love the Candy Cane, but to be honest the HoJo doesn't come up that often. I haven't stayed at either, but I have friends that LOVE the Candy Cane -- really comfortable beds and super close to the resort.

Before choosing the HoJo, check out the Ramada Maingate as an alternative ... they are closer than both properties -- just a very quick stroll across the street to the DLR Main Entrance -- and they have great prices. The Ramada is one of my 1st choices if I can't stay on Resort Property. They have a very friendly staff and their free breakfast is actually edible!

disneypk
06-06-2009, 06:52 PM
I stayed at the HoJo Anaheim last June. It was great! (And I am very picky). It was clean, quiet, and noise was never an issue. Ask for a room opposite side from the freeway though. It is the last hotel on the strip on the walkway to DLR. There is a nice cafe next to it, and you pass a nice, clean McDonalds on the way to the parks. We stopped there for breakfast every morning. We moved on to the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach for the last few nights and honestly, I liked the Hojo just as much. The walk was definitely less than 10 minutes. I do advise not staying to be the last ones out, we did this one night and I did not like walking alone. I just felt safer with the crowds. Remember, if not staying inside the park, you will be walking to your hotel in the city. It's not the same "extremely safe" feeling as WDW. But we did enjoy DLR very much.

stitch and co
06-06-2009, 10:17 PM
My family has stayed at the Candy Cane Inn and loved it. Comfy beds, nice continental breakfast by the pool (and trays were available to take breakfast back to your room if you wanted), and they have a shuttle to take you to the park entrance or back to the hotel. The shuttle ran about every half hour if I remember correctly. We also thought it was a short walk to the entrance too from the hotel.

Magic Smiles
06-06-2009, 11:52 PM
I have never stayed at the Hojo, but I was reading back when I was booking our trip and this Hojo's is one of the top 10 family resorts in the United States according to whatever it was I was reading at the time.
I originally booked us in at the Hojo, but have since changed our reservations to the Grand Californian......special trip and splurge:mickey:

disneypk
06-07-2009, 03:14 PM
I posted a positive response for Hojo earlier, but I forgot to mention the entertainment book discount for certain times of the year. I think our rate went from $125 or so per night to $60 just by using the ent. discount. The Hojo is small and not a "resort". It has nice rooms and the pool was just updated last year. But if a resort is what you want, I would suggest onsite accom. even though they are VERY expensive. It all depends on what you are expecting.

ghoofie
06-08-2009, 02:52 PM
The Candy Cane is great. It's the only place we stay. And I've read nothing but favorable with the HOJO. I think either one is fine..but again, we love the 'Cane.

IrishMickey
06-15-2009, 11:11 AM
:mickey: We stayed at the Candy Cane last summer and it was great. Best part was the shuttle back to the hotel with very tired kids and one pooped out Grandma. My mom said that was worth a repeat stay anytime to the Candy Cane! Enjoy!

Pirate Granny
06-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Glad to hear that HOJO is still around...we stayed there on our Honeymoon in 72...since we are considering a return trip in December, I sorta wanted to stay there at least one night...smile...and we walked to the park every day there and back in 72...I imagine there are a lot more hotels, but...don't remember it being a problem...
:pirate:

LittleSpirit02
06-25-2009, 11:45 AM
I can't comment on the HoJo but I have stayed at the Candy Cane Inn. I had a great experience there and would definitely stay again. As someone who prefers staying onsite, I have to say I went into the CCI unsure but the service, rooms and even proximity to the parks was wonderful. It's just as quick and easy a walk as it is from the Paradise Pier.

The rooms were very nice and clean. Some were being refurbished while I was there. The beds were exceptionally comfortable, as well.

The hotel offers breakfast each morning and also has a nice pool area. I didn't end up using it as I was always at the parks but it was very pretty with lots of beautiful flowers and a little patio-eating area.

I'd definitely recommend it and feel free to ask questions.

glenpreece
07-28-2009, 03:33 AM
I feel so good that I chose CCI and stumbled across this thread feel so much more secure in my hotel decision!!! Thanks to the OP for starting this thread!!!