PDA

View Full Version : June 6, 1944

barnaby
06-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Today is the 65th anniversary of D-Day, on the the most important days of the 20th century.

A big thank to those who served then and those who serve now.

Goofy Forever
06-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Thank you for all who served and are serving. My grandmother's brother was killed in the D-Day invasion.

jrkcr
06-06-2009, 11:36 AM
:flag:

Ian
06-06-2009, 12:52 PM
:flag:

My deepest thanks to all who served.

And might I suggest to everyone ... thank a WWII vet in person. There really aren't that many left and we're losing more every day.

This Memorial Day I was in the grocery store and I saw an older man dressed in his WWII uniform.

I walked right up to him, extended my hand, and said, "Thank you very, very much for your service. I owe a debt to you that I'll never be able to repay."

He actually seemed kind of shocked for a minute (perhaps not surprising), but after he had a second to adjust he looked me straight in the eye and said, "Thank you, young man. That means more than you know."

I felt pretty good for the rest of the day. :D

moe513
06-06-2009, 04:00 PM
It is the greatest generation. My uncle was there on dday. He was a Navy sailor on the Augusta. I lost him last year.

scooterca42
06-06-2009, 07:28 PM
We were in France several years ago and were priviledged to stand on Juno Beach, where the Canadians landed. We also walked on Sword and Omaha. It is an unbelievable feeling to stand on the beach, with the waves lapping gently, and try to imagine it how it was back then. We owe them all so much.

Georgesgirl1
06-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Thank you to all the men and women who served in WWII!

Scar
06-06-2009, 10:13 PM
God bless our Vets!

TCM showed "Saving Private Ryan" last night. Even though I've seen it a bunch of times, I cried during a scene which I had never cried during before. The one where they're looking at the dog tags when the Airborne troops are walking by.

Of course the worst is when old Ryan says to his wife: "Tell me I've led a good life. Tell me I'm a good man."

Thanks to all Vets.

wdwfansince75
06-06-2009, 11:05 PM
The first time I saw Saving Private Ryan, I was struck by the message from Captain Miller (Tom Hank's character), as he lay dying....He told Private Ryan...."Earn it!"
....We all need to remember the sacrifices of those ordinary men, who did extraordinary things...and always remember that message, spoken by Captain Miller, on behalf of all of them...."Earn it!"

Scar
06-06-2009, 11:05 PM
And I've changed my homepage from Google to Bing today. Bing had a picture of one of the beaches at Normandy (recent picture.) Google had some stupid tetris thing.

crazypoohbear
06-07-2009, 12:57 AM
I'm always struck when I think of WWII soldiers and so mature and when I think of soldiers in Iraq, Afganistan etc as such young boys. but then I remind myself that there were soldiers who joined up at 16 and 17 years old! I am astounded at the bravery and clear headedness of those boys. It is so hard to fathom what these boys went through and the bravery they showed. God bless them all. and Thanks for giving me the freedom to speak my mind!!!
P.S. D day is my wedding anniversary!

EPCOT84
06-07-2009, 01:41 AM
:flag:To all who served, thank you.

Ian
06-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Of course the worst is when old Ryan says to his wife: "Tell me I've led a good life. Tell me I'm a good man."I have seen Saving Private Ryan 24 times from beginning to end and this scene never fails to make me cry.

ibrowse17
06-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks to all that have, and do, serve:thumbsup:

DonLefNY
06-10-2009, 08:27 PM
My Dad was part of the US Navy beach masters at Normandy. We visited him this past weekend and my daughter recorded on DVD his Navy career. He was also at Iwo Jima and Okinawa in '45, but those times he stayed on a battleship. He got into the Navy at 16 years old, was 18 at Normandy and mustered out at age 20 after 3 invasions and one kamakasi (sp?).