PDA

View Full Version : Baby Care Centers- use them or lose them?

Georgesgirl1
06-05-2009, 09:00 PM
We are leaving in 44 days for my son's 1st trip to Disney. He will be 6 months old. I am wondering how useful people find the baby care centers. I had envisioned myself using them when I was nursing, but had to stop for several reasons, so I won't need them for that. What all do they have in them?

Zippy 1
06-05-2009, 09:15 PM
A friend of ours was just in DW for 2 weeks in May. She used them every day. It was a nice place to relax and feed the baby. She also used it as a place to get out of the heat and let the baby sleep for awhile. She said they were clean and wonderful.

Mushu11756
06-05-2009, 09:23 PM
We were in Epcot and MK in April of 2008 and our son was 6 months old at the time. We discovered the baby center on map and checked it out. Thank God we did!!!! They have changing tables that were great and very clean... Also has high chairs for feeding children and private room for nursing mothers.....

The air conditioning is great for the young ones to take a break from the heat and the crowds.. They also sell baby supplies in case you run out or forgot it back at your room!:thumbsup:

TinkerBellBebe
06-05-2009, 09:25 PM
On my DS's (now 14 months) first trip in February, we made lots of use of the baby care centers. First of all I am a germaphobe and the changing tables with the paper disposable covers were wonderful. Unfortunately, we had to make use of these quite frequently as DS got sick :ill: while we were down there and made big messes that required a full clothes change as well if you know what I mean lol. It was also quite convenient that my DH was able to come in with me to help out, and the staff were so friendly and helpful. We also met lots of other people with children our DS's age and shared some fun stories. The only slightly annoying point is that you are unable to take your stroller into the care center and have to park it outside.
We will definitely be making use of these centers on our next trip in 22 days! :mjump: :fingers: that this time DS will be able to enjoy the trip and we won't need to stay in the room. Thank god for the giraffes at the AKV!

crltkcagle
06-05-2009, 09:25 PM
I used them two years ago and they were great! You could warm the bottles there, nurse, change diapers or just let the kids relax for a bit. I would recommend using them with a baby that young.

mom2mickeyfan
06-06-2009, 07:22 AM
We love the baby centers and would cross the park to get to one instead of using the changing tables in the restrooms. My DS is 3 this trip (we leave tomorrow...:joy: ) and I'm hoping that if I need to change his clothes because we don't make it to the potty in time they will still let me use the baby center. It is just so quiet, cool and clean. Just the thing a baby needs sometimes.

Familyof4
06-06-2009, 08:12 AM
I replied to your poll as I used one if it was close by, but I will say that I never had trouble finding one. They are clean, but I always buy those Pampers brand changing pads(they are disposable). I am a bit of a germaphobe. Good luck! We are taking our 1 year old in September.

estein80
06-06-2009, 12:28 PM
I thought that Baby Stations were great on my last trip. I have taken DD to WDW twice now (she's 11 months). The first time we were traveling with family and I didn't really investigate these, and just used the bathrooms for changes, which were fine.

Last trip, I decided to take advantage of the Baby Stations. It was a nice, cool, relaxing atmosphere. I loved the fact that I could clean DD's bottles and then use their bottled water to add water to the bottle to be ready for next time. The changing tables were also great, much softer than the ones in the restrooms. It was also a great place to get reorganized and ready to take on the park. I don't think I could spend long periods of time there, but I think that is a personality thing.

Overall, I'm thrilled that these exist and I know that we will continue to use them in the future.

wire0monkey
06-06-2009, 01:23 PM
I've taken DS 2 to the park at age 1 and age 17 months.

We hit the Baby Centers when they were convenient, but didn't walk across the park to get to them.

We mostly fed, diapered and napped on the way. We took our own comfy stroller and that helped with the napping.

The center in Epcot was a life-saver after I lost my diaper bag one day. They gave me a 3 pack of diapers for free (I asked if I could buy some.) and told me to come back if I needed more.

Lizzie
06-06-2009, 04:20 PM
We loved the baby care centers. When we were there with our 7 month old twins. They were great my husband could come in and help change the girls and in the bathrooms there was always a line for the changing table. They are always worth the walk and are usually in a central location.
They also have little toilets so if your kids are young and new on the potty they are lifesavers.

We would change the girls and feed them and let them cool of in the ac. And if you have older kids with you there is a room with a tv and coloring so they have something to do while you take care of the baby.

Maleficent's Dad
06-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Both of my kids were in WDW prior to their first birthday (DD was 4 months old).

We utilized the Baby Care Centers often - and not always for the kids!!! ;) The AC, TV diversion (for elder brother), water cooler, and friendly staff were quite often a Godsent!!!

cherbie66
06-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Is there an age limit for them? Do you have to have a baby? Could my 4 year old and I go in and cool off for a bit?

mudpuppysmom
06-09-2009, 11:39 AM
We were walking by the one at AK and I said to DH "let's check it out" and we did....the place was just lovely (I'm trying to contain my enthusiam....really, really, really a wonderful place!!!). DS#1 watched some cartoons while I changed DS#2 and fed him. I'll say of all the centers we checked out -- this one was the best! The one at MK was a little crazy, but it still had everything you needed/wanted.

Would I cross the park for one -- yes I would and I don't usually say that for ANYTHING! It's really a wonderful place for you to chill (cool off too :D), unplug (from all the overstim) and recharge your babies.

Imagineer1981
06-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Is there an age limit for them? Do you have to have a baby? Could my 4 year old and I go in and cool off for a bit?

Thats what I want to know. My son will be 18months, is that too old? He still wears diapers at that age

EmmMOM2
06-09-2009, 02:59 PM
I brought my then 15 month old in to change her diaper once. It was GREAT!! My 4 year old at the time sat and watched a disney movie they had on for the kids. There were books and toys to play with, while my DH changed her.
They also had a water cooler, formula packets (incase forgotten) diapers etc.
It was an oasis on a hot day to cool off and relax for 10 minutes.
I would assume they would frown on people with kids older then 4 or 5 coming in...since they are limited in space they have. But i dont know.

Pirate Granny
06-09-2009, 10:00 PM
I agree with the previous poster...the one at AK is wonderful...DGD fell asleep in her stroller as soon as we got to the park...we went and they have a huge room with a TV and we let her sleep in the AC in her stroller and since no one was there my DD who was 7 month pregnant stretched out on the couch and rested also...we were there for an hour...
:pirate:

Iteachpc
06-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Loved the baby care center when my kids were little. They are WAY too old now (DS12 & DD17), but I took advantage of them when they were babies. One trip that stands out was a day trip to MK by myself when DD was 7 and DS was 2. It was a great place to rest and relax for a little while with both kids. DD enjoyed watching a movie while I took care of DS. It was great for a me since I was alone with two kids.

Stitchahula
06-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Last time I went my youngest DS was only 7 weeks old, so we took advantage of the baby stations. I do however believe they should put in more than 1 per park. It is kind of a walk if you have a hungry baby. However I did find that the CM's were more than willing to help me find a cool quiet place to feed the baby (that was kind of private).

MickeyMousse
06-10-2009, 09:34 AM
The baby centers are a Godsend. I agree that they need more than one per park, but take advantage of one if you need to. You won't regret it!

Sammyjo
06-10-2009, 11:43 AM
I took my daughter in to change her diaper and was totally impressed. The atmosphere is so relaxing. They are equipped with anything you need to take care of your child, highchairs, rockers, changing tables with supplies, to name a few. The staff is very pleasant also.

diz_girl
06-10-2009, 09:40 PM
It's too late for us to vote, but I would go across the park to a baby center. My favorite one is at AK. It's an oasis of calm in the park.

Septbride2002
06-11-2009, 10:32 AM
When we took Chloe the first time she was walking and the Baby Care Centers were great to let her get down and toddle around using their crayons and playing with their puzzles that are available. We also liked them for feedings and of course to change her diaper. I loved how clean it was! She would lay on the table and I could do a quick wipe down of her arms and legs with a baby wipe to sort of clean her up a bit - and then reapply all the sun tan lotions and stuff she needed while she played happily in a clean environment that wasn't a metal slab. :thumbsup:

~Amanda

BrownEyedGrrl
06-11-2009, 01:16 PM
On our last trip our boys were three, so we didn't have need for them. But, my sister went when her youngest was four months old, and she raved about the baby care centers. So, I'm looking forward to staking them all out on our upcoming trip. :) Our foster sons will be 21 months and nearly 8 months old when we go.

DisneyTwinsMommy
06-11-2009, 03:27 PM
As a mother of 20 month twins (have been to WDW when they were 6,11, and 17 months) I would walk to the end of the earth to use a baby care center!

Everything with twins is double the challenge and it is awesome that DH and I can go in and change both of their diapers with minimal stress.

We fed them bottles there (in comfy chairs), fed them baby food there in highchairs), and fed them lunch there (at child-sized tables), we have realt come full circle with the baby care centers.

Once they get a bit bigger they need it less but it is still nice to go in an cool off, re-apply sunscreen, etc. etc.

I think you can go in with anyone under school-aged. I have seen many toddlers/preschoolers in there taking a break.

They are worth their weight in gold in WDW! Check them out! :thumbsup:

Have a great time! :mickey:

Posterchild
06-12-2009, 03:17 AM
They are a great resource!

We took our 2YO there once when he skinned his knee because it was close and we did not have band-aids (Such terrible parents at Disney, lol). They either had band aids or called 1st aid over who fixed him up. He got stickers and was well taken care of.

They have lil' potties for the kids, and its an oasis among the madness sometimes. Very helpful if you have lil' ones. Its almost one of disney's best kept secrets.

mickey&missy
06-13-2009, 03:25 PM
I think you'll find the baby care centers wonderful! Their so nice! Everything is right there at your disposal. It really a comfortable, home feeling! I also think it will be even more helpful in the hot florida summer. Being able to take the little one in out of the heat and rock in the rocking chair for a bit or just relax and decompress will be great!! Definitely take advantage of them!

Also, the changing tables in the baby care centers are nice padded tables much like one you'd have at home. The changing tables in the bathrooms are hard metal and don't have safety straps.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip!!

Disney Doll
06-15-2009, 01:45 PM
I casually stumbled into a Baby Care Center with my 12month old son just to check it out and I was amazed by how nice they are. Disney has thought of everything! The dark, quiet nursing rooms were perfect and I was amazed by how a 5 minute stint in there could recharge my son. The changing tables were awesome too. They are big, comfy, and clean. I also liked that they kept a pretty good supply of emergency supplies for sale. Best of all, they were never crowded. It was such a nice way to get out of the chaos for a couple of minutes and let DS wind down.

pixiesmimi
06-15-2009, 08:25 PM
There is also a waiting room out front with chairs for other family members that don't need to go in the back. But there were plenty of chairs for us to sit in and rest while DD was feeding the baby. DGS got sick once and she was able to take him in there and clean him up and cool him off. Both she and her DH were able to clean up too since DGS was sick all over both of them.:blush: Very nice place.