PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic - am I the only one

yasmina
06-05-2009, 07:50 PM
who won't go out of their way to see it? On our last trip in '07, I finally got to see it, and to say I was unimpressed would be generous.

It's not bad, don't get me wrong, but something for my dd9 & I just wasn't there.

faline
06-05-2009, 07:55 PM
I greatly enjoy Fantasmic but there have been trips when I've made no plans to see it.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-05-2009, 08:10 PM
We really enjoy Fantasmic, but we just didn't bother with it this last trip, since we'd seen it a bunch of times before, and it just didn't fit into our trip this time.

dfamasb
06-05-2009, 08:17 PM
That's how I feel about Illuminations...waited once for it and wouldn't do it again. I love Fantasmic though and would see it over and over again. To each his own :D

Marceline
06-05-2009, 08:26 PM
No, your not alone...I won't go out of my way for it either. We did it last trip just so my daughter could experience it....but I am not making any plans to do it again this trip.

I just feel like it's the biggest headache of all the night-time shows to wait for and exit. I miss Sorcery In the Sky....that was cool.:pixie:

Jared
06-05-2009, 08:28 PM
I haven't seen it in years. It's actually probably my favorite nighttime show, right there with IllumiNations, but seeing Fantasmic! takes so much effort. Very little is worth waiting that long. We usually skip it, unless we can go to a later presentation.

DizneyRox
06-05-2009, 08:41 PM
I've waited two hours to see it, around when it debuted. Worth every second (again in the beginning). These days the wait doesn't seem to be as bad, but we make a point to see it. It's probably the best nighttime show on property.

Illumination is great, but running long in the tooth. It's a Millennium show, hasn't changed at all really. Wishes is good, but having to put up with MK is just too much of a downer.

crltkcagle
06-05-2009, 08:46 PM
I love fantasmic! Illuminations I can do without
:fworks:

JPL
06-05-2009, 08:50 PM
I am of the mindset if I plan on seeing Fantasmic usually at someone else's suggestion I always book the dinner package. Other than that I don't wait to go see it.

ASweetLov
06-05-2009, 10:26 PM
I love Fantasmic!

mshomeschoolmom
06-05-2009, 10:31 PM
We saw fantasmic last year for the 1st time with the fantasmic dinner package and although we enjoyed the show there was a group of about a dozen people behind us that kept buying beer and the more they bought the louder they talked throughout the whole show which totally ruined it for us. At one point I thought they were going to trip over us just to buy more. We are going back this Oct. and although we are not getting the dinner package we have decided if we get to see it again fine if not it will definetly not upset us.

tcswife
06-05-2009, 10:46 PM
the show is good but i hate the wait before the show and really hate the crowd at the end of the show!!!

DisneyWFan
06-06-2009, 05:40 AM
I've seen Fantasmic once and I find it is not worth th 2+ hour wait or the stampede to get out at the end. With that being said I do think everyone should see it once so they can make up their own mind about it because as you can see by all the posts you either love it or hate it

missymouseworld
06-06-2009, 07:21 AM
We keep saying that we are going to make it a priority to go and see something new, and Fantasmic was suppose to be it this time, but it got bumped.....and after reading mixed reviews, we will have to see next time. The wait time sounds horrendous and I don't like the idea of having to wait that long to get out too.

We did Illumination for the first time this year, and enjoyed it but, been there, done that seems appropriate, unless they change it.

alaMode
06-06-2009, 08:01 AM
and probably won't go again unless there is a major change. It was just "okay" for us.

We've never seen Wishes or Illuminations. We've only attended one evening party (P&P) and we didn't have that much fun because our ds was too sleepy to really enjoy it. When our ds is older, we'll spend more evenings in the parks and catch more evening shows.

Tess
poly07
poly08
pop09
popChristmas09

Familyof4
06-06-2009, 08:16 AM
You are definitely not the only one. I think I was expecting this unbelievable show since everyone told me how early you had to get there to get a seat, etc. We went on our last trip in '07 as well(for the first time). We do not make that a must see on our vacations to Disney. It is a nice show, I agree. Just not in the mood to sit for hours...with kids to wait for it.

Scar
06-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Seen it twice.

I wouldn't even see it again if it were in my way.

I wouldn't see it again with guarenteed no wait for the best seat.

However, I see Illuminations multiple times each trip.

Daddy Mouse
06-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Fantasmic has a simple Good vs. Evil storyline with good special effects. We like the show, but we don't like the wait for the show. I've seen it a few times and will not see it again until we take grandchildren.

Coach Rick
06-06-2009, 09:18 AM
It is a show I love to see. We usually do the dinner package since we have to eat anyway. Last year, however, we were not going to do it, but was walking by and there was no line at all. So we sent the kids on to ToT and DW and I just strolled in, got a seat in about the 4th row, which was a different perspective (usually sitting at the top with mom and her ECV), and enjoyed it even more from down lower. Now, it could use a facelift, and I thought I read somewhere that one was planned.

Meteora
06-06-2009, 12:35 PM
My family and I really love Fantasmic--for my 21 year old sister, it is her absolute favorite thing in all the world. I personally love both the show and the message--as someone prone to some negative and anxious thinking at times, it's nice to have a reminder that you need to overcome your own scary thoughts.

That being said, we agree that the logistics of the show are difficult, and became near impossible when they first cut back. Not to mention provoking of some pretty ugly behavior from fellow park guests. The 90 minute+ wait is worth it to us, because we love it so dearly, but we can understand why that combined with the awful exit procedures would lead other people to skip it. We go Christmas week almost every year, and with the three shows a night, we always found it very manageable--you could often arrive right before the show and still have a seat. The one show a night, two nights a week plan was disastrous, and I hope the people in charge realize that.

Ian
06-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Seen it twice.

I wouldn't even see it again if it were in my way.

I wouldn't see it again with guaranteed no wait for the best seat.

However, I see Illuminations multiple times each trip.:ditto:

You couldn't pay me to sit and wait for this dreck. It is, without question, the most boring, pointless 20-30 minutes I've ever spent in my life.

Cinderella's Lady in Waiting
06-06-2009, 05:54 PM
:eek::jaw:What!!! Fantasmic is our all time favorite, Have never missed it sometimes see it twice a visit! Nothing that unique in Disney....more then just fireworks!

2Epcot
06-06-2009, 06:08 PM
I love Fantasmic at WDW, though I like the Disneyland version better. However, when I'm at WDW the time I spend to see Fantasmic is already built into our schedule. At least 5 days on a trip we're going to be in the parks, so seeing Fantasmic once during our week doesn't take up so much time from the entire trip. I also think it is the best evening show in the parks.

Kathy Jetson
06-06-2009, 10:36 PM
saw it, did it, goin back to do it again:)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-06-2009, 11:31 PM
When we were there last year, my friend's mom had never seen it. She was in a wheelchair and we literally RAN with her to get to the park & the show. We got there late but still got good seats because she was in the wheelchair. She loved it and I always make a point of going to see this show. I love it!

SBETigg
06-07-2009, 12:09 AM
We've seen it twice, and that's enough for us. I would rather spend time doing other things at WDW than see it again. But it's well worth seeing once. Doesn't stand up to multiple repeats for me, compared to Wishes and Illuminations which I can gladly watch again and again.

Tigger&Stitch
06-07-2009, 12:45 AM
I've never seen it! And although I really do want to see it, I'm not willing to wait in line for 1 or 2 hours. I'd do the dinner deal, but I read in another post that other Disney guests don't respect the restricted/reserved area, and Cast Members aren't willing to enforce the rules. I certainly don't want to get into a fight during my vacation...

We will be going to both WDW and DL this year, so perhaps we'll just try to see it in DL.

*Liz*
06-07-2009, 01:11 AM
Hey I've worked there and never even saw it! Especially with only so many showings a night and going during the summer, it's not happening this year either! Maybe one day...during a slow season....when I feel like waiting a couple of hours on a hard bench and eating dinner at 3:30pm. ;)

DisneyorBust
06-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Fantasmic is one show that I can ignore on every trip. Very long and quite boring in my opinion, definately pales in comparison to Illuminations R.O.E. and WISHES!

Melanie
06-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Favorite nighttime show on property, and even better at Disneyland. :thumbsup: Illuminations COULD be so good...it pains me. In fact, it used to be! Now it bores me to tears and we haven't seen it in many trips. Wishes I like, although it could use an update as well.

2Epcot
06-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Favorite nighttime show on property, and even better at Disneyland. :thumbsup: Illuminations COULD be so good...it pains me. In fact, it used to be! Now it bores me to tears and we haven't seen it in many trips. Wishes I like, although it could use an update as well.

I completly agree. I really enjoyed the early version of Illuminations, much better then the current one ... and Wishes can't compete with what they do here in CA, so Fantasmic is my favorite at WDW.

big blue and hairy
06-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Just goes to show you how differing opinions can be. While I'm quite as adamant as Ian, I have no yen to go back to Fantasmic. It doesn't do anything for me.

I love Illuminations, though!

:sulley:

Ian
06-07-2009, 07:03 PM
I love Illuminations, though!Another thing we agree on. Illuminations is, far and away, my favorite nighttime show in WDW.

I do like Wishes, too, though. :mickey:

yasmina
06-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Wow! Didn't know I was going to ignite such a diverse number of opinions.

But I love it - keep 'em coming!

Thanks to all for you pov's.

TikiGoddess
06-08-2009, 08:22 AM
DH and I saw Fantasmic once, something like 7-9 years ago. Maybe it was the fact that we were "Disneyed-Out" -- it was the last night of our trip -- but neither of us enjoyed it.

Wishes is definitely my favorite. Standing on Main Street watching fireworks streak over my favorite place in the world? Priceless.

Kathy

azcavalier
06-08-2009, 09:09 AM
So, 13 years ago, my DW and I saw Fantasmic at DisneyLand on our 1st Anniversary, and we really liked it. Last year, we went to WDW for our 13th anniversary, and saw their version (got the dinner package and everything), and were left wanting. We weren't impressed. I can't quite put my finger on it, but did they add a lot to the WDW version (as compared to the DL version)? I think that there were parts that just were kind of pointless...like they added scenes just to include more current movies. Almost like filler.

In any case, to us, it's just not worth it. Of course, we also waited for Illuminations, and didn't think that was worth it, either. Wishes isn't bad, though.

g8rgirl29
06-08-2009, 11:26 AM
We saw this last year, with a light drizzle right up until the start of the show. We had to slowly fight our way in to the seating area, I felt like we were a herd of cattle. So much pushing and shoving by people it was crazy. We were stuffed into okay seats but felt like a sardine, esp with everyone in their rain gear. It was hard to even turn slightly in your seat to look around. I am not sure if this has anything to do with my perception but I am in no hurry to go see it again. We go this September and it is only showing 2 times while we are there. The first time is the 18th which is a MNSSHP night so I figure it will be mega packed. The second is the 20th which is pm EMH at MK so not sure if I want to miss the EMH just for Fantasmic. The only dilemma is my 23yo DD will be with us this trip and she has never seen this show.

joonyer
06-08-2009, 12:00 PM
I absolutely will not leave WDW without seeing Wishes, at least once. But Fantasmic, ehhh, if we have the time and nothing else we'd rather do, after we've done everything else we really want to do, we may decide to see it again. I guess you can tell, I can take it or leave it. We will not go out of our way to see it.

nicster
06-08-2009, 01:24 PM
I have seen Fantasmic @ DL and really enjoyed it. DH has not gotten to see it, so we arranged a dinner pkg in 2007. It rained for hours before the show; we waited in line, and walked into the seating area & just kept on walking. The rain had stopped, however the seats were sooooo wet! We just couldn't bring ourselves to sit on the wet seats, watch a show & leave all 'slushy' (especially on our first day at WDW). We are going to buy the dinner pkg again, hoping to have better circumstances. Any tips on choosing a great view from the seating area? I know someone wrote they enjoyed being on a lower level, is that a good place to be??

Toad_Passenger
06-08-2009, 01:32 PM
We saw it once in 2002, and haven't been back since. Don't get me wrong, it was nice to see the effects "live," but it wasn't that awe-inspiring that we need to fight our way back in (and out for that matter) to see it again.

We are often down for 7+ days, and we still don't worry about scheduling it in. Illuminations, on the other hand, is a can't miss! :thumbsup:

(But, like most things at WDW, it truly is a different strokes type of situation).

Disney Doll
06-08-2009, 02:00 PM
I haven't seen it in years. It's actually probably my favorite nighttime show, right there with IllumiNations, but seeing Fantasmic! takes so much effort. Very little is worth waiting that long. We usually skip it, unless we can go to a later presentation.

That's how I feel. I like the show, but it's too much effort.

ransam
06-08-2009, 02:03 PM
for me it's fantastic. My all time favorite show. I would never miss it.

egospotter
06-08-2009, 02:15 PM
I saw the Disneyland Fantasmic show first and was blown away by it there. When it came to WDW I was excited to see it and thought it was a good idea for it to have it's own theater. I was really disappointed. It seemed too staged and cold to me, where DL's Fantasmic was so much more immersive and intimate.

We haven't seen it in a few years. This year we are doing the Diner Package, which hear is a joke - but we wanted to eat at Brown Derby anyway. But I'm not going to get there super early just to get in, and if we have too many issues, we'll just skip it. It's a good time to go on ToT and RR a few times each.

I'll also add that I have mild claustrophobia, especially when in large crowds of people, and leaving the theater after the show is a nightmare for me.

TikiLounger
06-08-2009, 02:23 PM

I soooo agree with you. We enjoyed the show but would never do it again. Too much trouble and too much waiting. Actually, now that I think of it, the only show we've seen multiple times is the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. This is because my son loves it so much and, for him, it's not a trip to Disney World if he doesn't get to see it.

KAJUNKING
06-08-2009, 02:31 PM
i like the show but like illuminations its not something we see on every trip, mabey every other year

PrincessJadesMom
06-08-2009, 04:26 PM
I thought it was a good show, but it's at night (obviously) when your'e already tired and then by the time you wait for what seems like forever in that line.... it's just not worth the hassle for us to go to. We've seen it once, I guess that's enough.

danimator
06-10-2009, 07:55 AM
My DW, DB, and DW's friend all liked it, but I wasn't blown away. All that waiting and hype for what basically ended up being a 'best-of' clip slideshow (ie, an extended advertisement) of Disney movies.. but projected on water. Yippee.

I was hoping for something more in the way of original content. I know the whole Park is a cross-advertisement for Disney franchises, but with Fantasmic, I felt that fact a lot more than I think I was supposed to.

mouseketeer mom
06-10-2009, 08:45 AM

I am completely on board with you. Too much effort. We saw it once, really enjoyed it. Then we had a package booked a few months ago and decided against it. None of us wanted to eat that early, we were all bushed from being in the heat and crowds all day, and we headed back to our resort to relax and watch fireworks from the beach instead. Believe me when I say, my entire family breathed a sigh of relief with that decision. Sometimes the effort is just not worth it.

MickeyMousse
06-10-2009, 10:27 AM
In all the years we have been to WDW, we have never seen Fantasmic except for a little from our windows at YC or BWV. I tried to book the dinner package one trip, thinking I could kill 2 birds w/one stone, and couldn't get a ressie. Have not tried again since.

Goes4FastPass
06-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

That includes those people who love Fantasmic and those heart has lost all it zipadee doo dah.

Melanie
06-10-2009, 12:54 PM
I completly agree. I really enjoyed the early version of Illuminations, much better then the current one ... and Wishes can't compete with what they do here in CA, so Fantasmic is my favorite at WDW.

Agreed!!! Believe really does blow Wishes away. No comparison.

bruin1344
06-10-2009, 01:03 PM
the show is good but i hate the wait before the show and really hate the crowd at the end of the show!!!

same reasoning for me

Imagineer1981
06-10-2009, 01:27 PM
We really like Fantasmic but can go several trips without seeing it and not feel bad. Its a great show, but sometimes it I feel let down when I leave, not like WOW!!

MNNHFLTX
06-10-2009, 03:16 PM
I like Fantasmic, although like many others I do not make a point in seeing every time I'm at WDW. I think the production at Disneyland is better, simply because you are so close to all the action and not just sitting in stands watching it.

Lynn J Mc
06-10-2009, 03:20 PM
My whole family loves it. We even watch it on video at home. From the 8 YO to the 65 YO and all in between love it. We do the dinner package as we plan to eat any way. The crowd at the end is easier to get out of than Wishes at the MK.

Mushu11756
06-10-2009, 03:54 PM
We plan on seeing Fantasmic for the first time this year. I hope i'm not let down! We try to not hit everything all the time just so we have something new to look forward to on next trip!

forever a child
06-10-2009, 08:04 PM
DD and I love it!:smickey: Our favorite night time show. Could care less about Illuminations.

mainemajor
06-10-2009, 09:05 PM
If I never see it again I will not loose any sleep. Once I fell asleep during the show. Both Wishes and Illuminations are can not misses for me, though.

VaderGirl
06-11-2009, 03:34 PM
I agree, it's nice, but nothing spectacular, in fact I have no interest in seeing it, since i saw it in 2006, waste of time & park hours!

Septbride2002
06-11-2009, 06:16 PM
The wait to see it is what gets me. You're stuck in that big outdoor theatre and you can't entertain the kids or even really do anything but sit and wait. To me it just isn't worth it.

~Amanda

mickeys_princess_mom
06-11-2009, 09:15 PM
I absolutely will not leave WDW without seeing Wishes, at least once. But Fantasmic, ehhh, if we have the time and nothing else we'd rather do, after we've done everything else we really want to do, we may decide to see it again. I guess you can tell, I can take it or leave it. We will not go out of our way to see it.

This is pretty much where I am, too. We haven't seen it on our last several trips, and are fine with that. I think everybody should see it once, but that's enough for us. Wishes is non-negotiable! Gotta have it. Love Illuminations, too--ashes and all! :mickey:

jillluvsdisney
06-13-2009, 05:54 PM
OP, no you are not the only one by far.

We saw Fantasmis once. I don't even remember it. We don't even go in Hollywood Studios anymore except to see the Osbourne Lights during the holidays.

SheLovesDisney
06-13-2009, 06:04 PM
I think Fantasmic is perfectly enjoyable, but not worth a whole lot of grief to get into. We haven't been the last few times and haven't missed it...We would much rather see Wishes or Illuminations.

Dopey's Girl
06-14-2009, 04:33 PM
I won't ever make a point to see Fantasmic again unless the people I'm with are dying to see it. I was very unempressed. It just didn't do anything for me. Then once you add in the fact that you have to sit and wait for the show 2 hours before hand to get seats, then get trampled on the way out, it's really not worth it to me!

The only night time show I have to see each time is Wishes! I love the music and the fact that the show features the Castle. It's just more special to me!

Mrs.C
06-16-2009, 11:16 AM
I am not too crazy for Fantasmic!...I haven't seen it for a number of years and on our last trip DS was only 2 and I thought he would be scared by it all. I don't know next Spring if we will even plan on it...DS will be 5 but DD will be only 2, and now with such a limited schedule, we would rather be sure to see Wishes, Spectro, and Illuminations!

lightyearfan
06-16-2009, 11:23 AM
me and dw absouletly love fantasmic and feel that it's 1 of the best shows that wdw has and do it on everytrip, we don't miss it.

Victor

Belle_0717
06-18-2009, 04:27 PM
I have seen Fantasmic three times. That is enough for me. I like the idea of the show but I feel like it is old. Illuminations - I saw the original show and have only seen 1/2 the new one. Honestly I can do without both and wait around for WISHES!!!!!!!!

Hull-onian
06-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Now that Fantasmic is shown two nights in the week, we didn't even try to fit it in this time. We were busy doing other stuff. We almost saw Illuminations, however, the Worldshowcase was packed, so we left, went back to the hotel and went swimming instead.

lightyearfan
06-19-2009, 11:14 AM
:ditto:

You couldn't pay me to sit and wait for this dreck. It is, without question, the most boring, pointless 20-30 minutes I've ever spent in my life.

well your entitled to your opionion, and me and dw like illuminations as well, but you can't compare a fireworks show, with a stage show , that gets a few fireworks at the end, and not for nothing, but the globe thing is getting kinda played. now if we want to compare wishes and illuminations that's another story, and since were on that subject wishes is better.(IMHO)

Victor