PDA

View Full Version : Hard Rock Hotel

jakeybake
06-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi,

First let me say that I am as loyal a WDW resort guest as there is. I even take it to the next level by being a total Beach Club Resort snob. It is really the only place we ever want to stay after our first stay there in August of '07.

You may remember me as the guy who whined on the boards about his in-laws buying a time share at the Regal Palms (Del Boca Vista to me) and how disappointed I was that we were expected to stay there with them this April. I followed that up with my scathing, "I WILL NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN!!" post about that very same resort.

Well, I have a dirty little secret to tell you. My DRHW (Dear Red Headed Wife) kids and I all took a stroll over to the Hard Rock Hotel on a day we were at Universal. And you know what, we absolutely LOVED the place. I mean really, really, really, really LOVED the place.

The decor, the theming, the food choices and more than anything the pool, which had this amazing bar area (DRHW and I aren't drinkers but certainly a Diet Coke or two could be had there) that had wonderful seating, plasma tv's etc. We were also lucky enough during our visit to see a live band play on a small stage in the pool area. Just incredible!

So as guilty as I feel saying it, I may actually book a night or two (or three or four.....) there our next trip. God it feels sooooo wrong to say that on here!!

Has anyone else stayed there and if so what was your impression/experience while there? Though we are not big Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure fans the convenience of the location (short walk or boat ride to the 2 parks and City Walk) reminded me of our beloved Beach Club.

I feel so dirty................

Jay

DeniseMB
06-05-2009, 01:35 PM
I have stayed at the Hard Rock & absolutley loved it. I love how you hear the music while swimming under water. The beds in the hotel were so comfortable. The short walk to Universal was so convenient.
We also stayed at the Royal Pacific. Just ok. :mickey:

cer
06-05-2009, 01:49 PM
OK - this is just sooo funny! I remember that rant.... Maybe it had less to do with staying off site and more to do with the fact that you felt your vacation had been hijacked...maybe???

MidnTPK
06-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Hi Jay....I remembered that thread...we had a similar opinion.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the HRH. I've stayed there four or five times in the past, but it's been four years since my last visit. You're impression about the pool area is right: it's a great pool and slide with a very fun atmosphere.

You can't beat the walk/ride to the US/IOA parks and you can't beat Universal Express access.

The rooms themselves were very nice when opened, but started to show wear, especially for the price. But I've heard they've been refurbed, so things should be better now. I actually just booked a trip down there yesterday....taking my nieces for a long weekend in late July.

Personally, I like to keep my WDW and US/IOA trips separate. Mostly because it's nice to go on longer trips to WDW, and I don't want to compact those trips at all. Staying at the HRH (or other Universal hotels) allows you to do everything at both Univerasal parks very quickly...so you can do a very nice trip there over a long weekend.

And you can even go over the holidays and not have to worry about long lines. When my family has gathered at my sister's place in Orlando for the holidays (or peak periods), I've always avoided WDW and stayed at the HRH so I could have nice, but shorter, trip to some awesome theme parks.

There should be no shame in liking WDW and Universal. Would we have the AK or DHS if Universal hadn't forced Disney to brings its game to a new level? The competition between the two keeps them both looking for ways to improve.

jakeybake
06-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Funny you should say that becasue our last trip we did just US/IOA and after a couple of days really missed WDW. My DRHW and I spent the entire time saying to each other, "See that _____ over there? You would never see that at a Disney Park."

We actually ended up dining at our beloved Cape May Cafe 3 times for breakfast and twice for dinner, as well as the ESPN Club twice and 1900 Park Fare once. It at least allowed us to feel like we were staying on Disney property when we really weren't, though the ride back to Del Boca Vista each night was as depressing as it gets.

We also went to Typhonn Lagoon 3 times and if it were up to the kids we would of spent all day there and then slept in tubes in Castaway Creek each night.

I was surpised when at how less expensive HRH was per night compared to the BC given the amenities, especially the pool. Much cheaper to stay at the HRH.

Jay

buzznwoodysmom
06-05-2009, 06:53 PM
I have a good friend who goes to WDW and Universal at least once a year with her family. They stay half the trip at one of the Universal resorts and the other half at one of the WDW deluxe resorts. She says that they acutally had to change the order in which they visit the two different theme parks. They used to do Universal first and end their trips with WDW. Saving the best for last. She claims that over the last several years they'be been so unimpressed with the WDW resorts that they now end their trips at Universal, mainly because of how much more they love the resorts when compared to the WDW resorts. I have to admit I've looked into it and all three of their resorts look amazing. We may be taking a Disney Cruise next summer and are thinking about doing 3 nights at Universal after instead of 3 nights at WDW. I feel a bit guilty admitting that!

Pally
06-05-2009, 07:14 PM
I have a good friend who goes to WDW and Universal at least once a year with her family. They stay half the trip at one of the Universal resorts and the other half at one of the WDW deluxe resorts. She says that they acutally had to change the order in which they visit the two different theme parks. They used to do Universal first and end their trips with WDW. Saving the best for last. She claims that over the last several years they'be been so unimpressed with the WDW resorts that they now end their trips at Universal, mainly because of how much more they love the resorts when compared to the WDW resorts. I have to admit I've looked into it and all three of their resorts look amazing. We may be taking a Disney Cruise next summer and are thinking about doing 3 nights at Universal after instead of 3 nights at WDW. I feel a bit guilty admitting that!

We did this in December 2006. We started at Portofino and moved to WL for xmas. We loved both but the Club Room Level at Portofino was excellent. Also the perk of "front of the line" is much better than a fast pass. Sorry Disney. Actually, my boys preferred Portofino over WL. Go figure.:mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
06-05-2009, 09:50 PM
We did this in December 2006. We started at Portofino and moved to WL for xmas. We loved both but the Club Room Level at Portofino was excellent. Also the perk of "front of the line" is much better than a fast pass. Sorry Disney. Actually, my boys preferred Portofino over WL. Go figure.:mickey:

Oh, my friends kids prefer Universal over WDW and definitely prefer the Universal resorts over the WDW resorts, and they have girls. You'd think the whole princess thing would put WDW over the edge for them, but it doesn't.